Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

400 cfm with 30" bs rnb range??

Posted by Stranger_In_The_Alps (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 16:29

I know there are 10,000 postings about range hoods and MUA, but here's one more...
I just learned that our local requirements are for conditioned MUA for anything over 400 CFM, so I am now very seriously considering a 400 CFM hood for our 30" BS RNB (instead of the 600 I was looking at). The range is on an exterior wall and will vent straight out, there is also a window right next to the range. The closest HVAC return is on the other side of the house, so conditioned MUA is going to be a real PITA. We do some wok cooking and searing, but not exclusively.

Does anyone have a similar setup and does it work?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: 400 cfm with 30" bs rnb range??

Well there are those on this forum who would tell you "no way" - but I'll give you my perspective. I have a DCS range with a 600 CFM hood and I rarely run it on high even when stir frying. When I cook something with a lot of smoke I do run it on high but that's not the norm.

In your situation I would say you could probably make due with 400 CFMs but get as deep a hood as you can and don't mount it any higher than 30"

RE: 400 cfm with 30" bs rnb range??

It will be adequate about 60% of the time with most of your low heat cooking that mainly produces steam and odors. The other 40% with high heat activities will see you smoking yourself out and opening a window. And aerosolized grease particles from your stir fry will make it around the room for you to clean it off. Yes, some will be captured with 400 CFM. But be extra sure to make the backsplash and adjacent cabinets easy to clean surfaces. And NO thermofoil cabinets anywhere near that heat.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here