Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_ross8133

Can you show me the END of a cabinet?

Linda Ross
16 years ago

Do you have the side of a refrigerator that shows or the end of a cabinet or the back side of a pennisula or island? The KD wants to save money by just making the cabinet end smooth instead of a paneled design, I worry it will not look good, especially we have a side of a refrigerator cabinet that will show. This is a large piece of wood. The back side of the pennisula will show but will have stools up against it but would you make it just plain wood? Maybe I'm getting hung up about nothing...help.

Comments (17)

• pirula
    16 years ago

I don't have a picture handy, but we have an entire side of a refrigerator paneled and one end of our island, also paneled. It was rather expensive to go this route, but to my mind it makes all the difference between a properly thought out and finished kitchen and something that looks like an afterthought. The section hidden by stools is probably okay, depending on how persnickety you are. But the fridge side, if it's in clear view, I recommend you panel. Crownpoint did a beautiful job with the paneling and it was worth every penny. It brings more beauty to the kitchen.

Ivette

• pirula
    16 years ago

Here is the fridge panel:

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Ivettepirula/?action=view&current=Feb07019.jpg

And below is the island end panel.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• beckeliz9856
    16 years ago

I haven't figured out how to post pictures on this site yet, so I can't give you images but I too agree that adding panels to the end of a refrigerator unit or island/peninsula makes all the difference. It gives your kitchen that beautiful custom/updated/finished look. IÂd go for it if it is in your budget financially. I would do the fridge before the peninsula, where the stools will cover, if you will be stretching your budget.

• yanalg
    16 years ago

here's a previous thread with more pictures and opinions.

Here is a link that might be useful: panels for cabinet ends

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

Definitely have them paneled - our second to the last house didn't have them and it always bothered us, kind of cheapened the overall look of all the cabinets in the kitchen - we did the island and refrig this time around and it looks beautiful.

• dd70
    16 years ago

Our ends are all paneled and Im glad we did it. We did not panel the long end of the peninsula figuring the overhang and stools would hide it and to save money. We were both unhappy with the unpaneled peninsula so we put cherry stained bead board on it instead of the "skin" or whatever they call it. So I would say spend the extra, it really does add a lot to the look.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I think if you are having painted cabinets then paneled is something you definetly want to do, but if you have stained cabinets then the wood would provide some interest and I think you can get away without paneling.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I agree with everyone that end panels are the preferred way to go...HOWEVER, if it's the choice b/w an end panel and, say, a drawer base instead of shelves, I'd forgo the end panel. End panels can be added later, while drawers cannot. Be sure, though that those end cabinets all have finished sides/backs (i.e., they are finished in the same wood/stain/glaze as the rest of the cabinets...any KD worth his/her salt will know this...but double-check anyway!)

IMHO, if you have to cut costs somewhere, I'd cut them on the door end panels...as a matter of fact, that's exactly what we did. We eliminated end panels on the ends of the upper & lower cabinet runs as well as the peninsula ends. We also eliminated the furniture base and filler overlays (that's the overlay on a filler piece that makes it look like another door). ALL of these can be added later (and we plan to add them as we go along...we've a plan for that as $$ comes available!)

I think your KD is giving you good advice if you are over budget and are trying to cut back somewhere.

What I'm saying is, if something (1) doesn't add to the functionality of the kitchen, (2) can be added later, and (3) it's lack does not really detract terribly from the overall look, then eliminate it now if you need to to cut back.

HTH!

• jessie21
    16 years ago

I hadn't decided on whether or not to panel the long side of my penninsula yet but my cabinet maker brought a nice thin cherry plywood piece that was stained dark dark like my cabinets so I told him to go for it. I can change my mind later if I want but I think it looks kind of great and we'll probably just keep it. Kitchen isn't finished yet so sorry no photos.

• User
    16 years ago

I took a different approach. My cabinet doors have recessed panels but I finished the exposed sides with flat panel doors. For me, the additional recessed panels added too much fuss but the finished sides of the cherry ply cabinet boxes did not have the interest or take the finish as well as the solid wood doors. My cabinets are frameless and it was important to me that the side panel did not look stuck on as an afterthought. I made sure the depth of the side panel was the depth of the cabinet plus the door and the crown molding was installed to include the panel, not just the cabinet box.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Not adding panels to the end of the peninsula and cabinets was just not an option. I wanted a kitchen with a finished look.

I do however have a smooth panel on the inside side of our refrigerator, just don't have a photo of it right now. If you want me to take one tonight, I'd be happy to.

Those are cabinets under the granite counter.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• sue36
    16 years ago

My prominent end cabinets are my fridge and my oven cabinet, so panels were going to be very expensive. I ended up doing paneled ends on the island but not the wall cabinets. My cabinets are stained cherry.

• slc2053
    16 years ago

jodi in so cal...didn't see your photos in the finished kitchen blog..I'd love to see more photos..especially of your backsplash...do you have a link to more? Thanks!

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

I really hesitated to post that photo because I knew I wasn't altogether ready to post the other 5,241 photos of our finished kitchen. LOL

I have all the info compiled (granite, cabs, flooring, etc.) but really haven't had time to sort through the good photos and post them. But I will, I promise.

In the meantime, here is a close-up photo of the backsplash, which is very difficult to photograph because of the glass (unless of course you know what you're doing :-) The photo below is from the tile maker's catalog. I'm told it is brand new on the market.

This particular backsplash appears to have a pedigree. It is called Jeffrey Court Chapter 9: Pietra Opus Quartz Brick Fire and Ice.
    I call it simply beautiful. :-)

{{gwi:1565829}}

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey Court web site

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Jodi's kitchen shows so well how important the panels are to a finished kitchen. Without them I think you end up with cabinets that look much more "builder grade" than finishd. I'd cut corners in a lot of different areas before I'd cut that out!

I wish I could show you my end panels, but the cabinets aren't due until next week :o) That's a happy thing LOL

On the end of my island I actually added working doors to the end which will conceal a chalk board for my 2 year old's art projects. You might ask if stock doors are cheaper than end panels if this sounds like a good option for you.

• alku05
    16 years ago

We used panels in some places but skipped them in other cases. I know that sounds crazy but it's just that panels made sense some places, and would have looked odd in other places.

Our island is completely paneled. The cabinet by out fridge is paneled (in-progress picture):

However, the sides of our beverage center are not paneled. With our simple cabinet doors and the kinda-almost hutch like look that the bev center had, panels would have been too fussy looking:

• als6w
    14 years ago

just bumping to see if anyone esle has pictures to share of their end panels. I debating beadboard ends v. door ends. Thanks! (I assume the beadboard would be less expensive yes?)