Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcskaisgir

What brand of door mounted trash pullout for inset cabinets?

Lisa
10 years ago

I'm just getting around to figuring out my trash situation. My cabinets are inset and Rev A Shelf said that their door mounted trash systems don't work w/inset doors. I did find one by Century Components. Are there others I could consider? And are there problems keeping the door inline or with installation?

Comments (37)

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Found Rev-a-Shelf for inset doors thru Kitchensource.com

• User
    10 years ago

Hafele sets the standard.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

There are plenty from both. If it were my own kitchen, with inset cabinets, I'd be getting it from the factory already installed. I could install it, heck I could build it, simply not worth the savings.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I should've gotten it factory installed, I agree. I'm a little nervous to install one now, after the fact, with the inset doors.

canuckplayer, I emailed Rev A Shelf and they told me they don't have any units that would work with inset doors! That link takes me to Kitchensource's homepage. Did you find a particular model that said it was for inset doors?

hollysprings, I will look at Hafele. Thank you!

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Just check the dimensions for the units. The RAS ones with heavier bottom aluminum glides (5439 or something like that, not in office now) are 19 1/2 deep and will work. There is a similar Hafele. Either is a bit easier to adjust the door than ones with wooden boxes on the bottom. Still a fussy install.
    Most often you will have 22-1/2" depth inside cabinet .
    In office now-RAS 5349-18DM-217 or similar 22 1/8" deep 14-13/16 wide
    Hafele Moovit fits, Hafele wooden frame bottom mount should just make it at 22-1/4 deep

This post was edited by jakuvall on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 6:59

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

B.S.
    I'm retrofitting a base cabinet as a trash pull-out.
    It's a 15" wide base unit.
    I'm probably taking a Rev-a-shelf and just hooking it in.
    You'll probably need to put 3/4" pieces just inside the face frame to extend it out to the edge of the frame. RAS 5349-18DM-217 is the number I'm looking at. You need to find something that will fit the opening of your face frame.

OTOH, since I've only got the cabinet 1/2 done, I'm also considering Ana White's version of a tip-out trash can, which attaches directly to the door.

Of course this can be done. Those people.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"a fussy install"...that does not sound appealing.

I have a vision of the door becoming misaligned on a regular basis.

Maybe the kind that don't attach to the door would be a safer bet.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Once aligned there shouldn't be a problem. Getting it there can be tedious.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, then I'm not giving up, tedious or not. I REALLY want it to attach to the door. Maybe I shall ask my contractor to come back so I don't drill 25 holes in the door in attempts of getting it straight.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir, thank you for posting this question since I would want to know what to do also as I had hoped to mount a Rev-A-Shelf trashcan on the door under the sink but it sounds like that will not work out. Please let us know what you decide and how it works out.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

need a different model under sink.
    I usually will not order an under sink trash until the plumbing is in- sure I specify location but things don't always happen the way I want. There are options- carefully measure the space you have-likely a smaller trash.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Jakuvall for your expert input. I am waiting to see what Lisa ends up doing to give me ideas. I am back to wondering if I should buy another Simple Human Stainless Steel Trash Can that I had in the kitchen but put in my home office. I really love the new location but it is a pain carrying trash from the kitchen three rooms away to the trash can. But for my office, it is working out great.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of our without the trash cans. Don't know the brand.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Romy718! How wide is your cabinet?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy, we can see your beautiful floors!! Another teaser for your reveal! I haven't seen any of the trash pull outs that look exactly like yours. Did you get it from your cabinet manufacturer?

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Romy's looks like this Hafele. I imagine they make both a single- and double-bin version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele trash pullout

• Sms
    10 years ago

Just put this on in under the kitchen sink (Blanco Silgranite Diamond Super single which has a right rear drain). Did just as Jakuvall suggested and waited for plumbing and electrical to be done. Still had to file down the back of the can a bit.

This thing was expensive BTW. A friend accomplished the same thing with an Ikea drawer though not with inset.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trash

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I just measured and have 23" depth not including the frame, so I guess I should be ok.

Now the decision of which cabinet to put it in, an 18" cabinet which would house one 35 liter can or a 24" cabinet which would house two 35 liter cans. It would be so nice to have the two cans so I could have one for trash and one for recycling but I also hate to give up a 24" cabinet for trash...sigh.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Sjhockeyfan, thank you for the link! I just printed out both pages and saved it in my favorites as well as sent myself an email to remind me to look into this after my tax season.

Zeitgast, Thank you for the picture and the link! I just printed the page as well as sent myself an email and saved this link in my favorites. I have this store right near me so that is great it is sold locally. I will look into this also with a kitchen designer on what is best for my situation.

Lcskaisgir, please let us know what you decide to do and please share pictures. It would be nice to have both a trash can and a recycling can in the kitchen as right now I have to keep walking the cans and bottles to the other room which is three rooms away to throw out. The only place I could give up is under my sink that would be wider enough for both. If I use one of my two little 15" wide cabinets, most likely will just have a trash can but that would be acceptable to me as walking to the other room to recycle is not that bad but I definitely need something for my trash in my kitchen I am finding out.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

This is the site I found the bins through. The second feature listed states "designed for inset doors". Maybe Rev-a-Shelf no longer makes these and this site still have stock.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen source trash bin for inset doors

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Cauckplayer, thank you so much for the link! I just saved this also in my favorites and emailed myself the link to discuss with a kitchen designer after tax season.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

"Well, I just measured and have 23" depth not including the frame, so I guess I should be ok."
    That is deep enough to fit the double 5349 in an 18" cabinet

• romy718
    10 years ago

The outside of my cabinet is 17 1/8" wide. The widest part of fhe hardware of the pullout is 14 1/16". It holds two Rubbermade 36 qt wastebaskets, 14.5"x 11" x18"" tall.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh....thank you for the revelation jakuvall! Somehow when I was measuring the opening of my cabinet, I was taking into account the big hinge, which reduces the opening quite a bit. I was forgetting that I would be taking the hinges off!!! I CAN fit a double into that 18" cabinet! That just solved all of my issues. This has been bothering me so much! Now I just have to choose which brand. I will look at all that have been suggested. Thank you all!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why is the Rev a Shelf so much more expensive? Is it better quality? Narrowed it down to the RAS 5349 ($234 cheapest I could find) and the Hafele like romy's ($162).

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

RAS 5349 rails are aluminum- the Hafele noted is steel. Al costs more, won't rust. Hafele has some others that have covers over the glides to avoid rust issue. Rust is a mostly an aeshtetic issue over time on trash POs but it is certainly an issue I've seen.
    FWIW- given a choice almost everything I use is Hafele- except- tray dividers, sink tip out, mixer lift and the 5349- unless I'm using a woodent one.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Done! The RAS 5349 it is! Who puts this much thought into a stupid trash can?! Now wish me luck on a smooth install.

Thank you jakuvall!!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Now, not only do you have a super susan but you have a aluminum pull out trash & I have rusty steel.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh romy, that made me laugh! And I don't have it yet, let's just wait and see if I can get it installed correctly! My husband and kids will be happy that they don't have to hunt for the trash because I keep moving it to different locations to see where I like it best.

• romy718
    10 years ago

BTW, I could take a pop quiz anytime & spell your name. Thanks!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, it's not an easy name, trust me, it took me some getting used to.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, here I am in the midst of the install.

Hoping jakuvall is still around. Have you had any issues with this unit (ras 5349) not clearing the bottom of the face frame? My old cabinets are sitting in the garage so I compared face frames and they are the same so I don't think mine are outlandishly thick (or tall). My old ras unit cleared the face frame in my old cabinets with no problem. I called RAS and they said that this unit does have that problem sometimes and to use shims.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not as though anyone really cares about a trash can, but I installed the unit yesterday. Had to use shims under the base of the unit so it would sit high enough to clear the bottom of the face frame, then just screwed through the shims down into cabinet bottom. I debated about attaching the door because the cabinet guy ordered me a new door since I already had a knob installed in the corner of this one. I need to have a centered pull instead. I figured this would give me an opportunity to practice on the installation. It was easier than I thought and now I don't know if I can bare to redo the install on my new door!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I am impressed that you installed it, period. And yes, we do care about trash cans. Mine was always underneath my sink. My first meeting with my KD & she suggested a pullout trash, I was surprised. Why would anyone need that?
    Boy, I've come a long way. But not as far as you have.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, it's funny how small things such as trash cans can excite us so! I had put it off for weeks, so I'm glad it's done. Now on to the next project:)

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Lcskaisgir--interesting thread. You did a great job. I am impressed. Good looking kitchen.

Romy--I know you have WM...my WM are 10 yrs old. Your trash pullout is superior to mine by far. Mine is white metal and is actually rusty in places.

• gothaml
    9 years ago

Did you switch out your door to one with a center pull or have you left it with the side pull? I would love to know!