Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

What Are Your Favorite Kitchen (And Home Design) Magazines?

John Liu
14 years ago

I know some of you are active clippers who've filled folders with inspiration photographs and articles. What magazines are your favorites to read, muse, and scissor?

Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking are usually on my nightstand. They're more on construction techniques, not so much on kitchen design. I've occasionally browsed American Bunglaow and This Old House. They, too, are a bit lacking in the TKO-ness.

There's a store near me with a huge collection of old magazines, for $2-3 per. If I can get some good title suggestions, I'll go down there and come back with an armful to pile up around the armchair. SWMBO needs something new to grumble about.

Comments (15)

• cawaps
    14 years ago

I read the Fine Homebuilding Kitchen and Bath issues and This Old House. I used to buy Inspired House (or Inspired Home?) from Taunton Press, but by the time I got around to subscribing, they stopped publishing. Great publication, based on the "Not So Big House" concept of Susan Susanka. So if you can find vintage issues of that, I'd highly recommend it.

• ncamy
    14 years ago

American Bungalow and Arts and Crafts Revival are about the only two I read now. When I built my last house I read Southern Living because that was the style of house we built. I am trading lots of heavy white moldings and formal areas that were supposed to be actually used for tons of dark stained wood and colorful tiles and rugs.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Elle Decor, Remodel, California Home+Design.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Since I've been frequenting this site and oogling the kitchen that GW's have put together, my desire for design magazines has dropped considerably. I see so much more creativity here that between the glossy pages.

• pirula
    14 years ago

House and Gardens, Homes and Gardens, World of Interiors (all British).

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I look forward to Fine Homebuilding each month, and particularly love the 'Houses' and 'Kitchen and Bath' special editions. I also used to love Inspired House. Years ago, I like Home, but stopped getting it and don't even know if it exists any more.

• springplanter
    14 years ago

I think this depends on your preferred style.
    Before you seek out spending monies on the mags, why not look at your local freecycle. I recently got about 200 (everything from natural home to renovation style to house and garden, fine homebuildig,etc etc etc ) Have been looking through and am offering to others in 20-30 batches

good luck!

• plllog
    14 years ago

I'm drowning in paper so I don't take any subscriptions. I too have found GW better than any kitchen magazine. I had a whole stack before I found this forum, and haven't looked at them since.

My favorite home magazines are Sunset and Architectural Digest. Metropolitan Home and Dwell are okay, but repetitive. A lot of the traditional magazines, like BHG, are very Eastern and just don't fit where I live.

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

I enjoy the "Kitchen of the Month" feature in House Beautiful. The kitchens are often lovely and I enjoy reading about the details, even when I don't care for the kitchen. I wouldn't subscribe just for that feature, but, if you can find some old copies or get them at a local library, they have a varied and sometimes instructive content. I do enjoy that magazine, BTW, because the editors include many details about sources. Also, many of the featured projects use one of my favorite vendors: Chateau Domingue in Houston, Texas. A day spent there is the next best thing to wandering around in European ruins. I have stopped subscribing to publications that use mostly non-U.S. sources because, even though they're interesting reads, they usually have items that I cannot access readily or economically. World of Interiors is wonderful, though, if you want just one such mag.

• seattle_rain
    14 years ago

Dwell, Sunset, and Atomic Ranch.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I love Elle Decor, House Beautiful and Veranda. As I was looking for ideas for the kitchen reno, I would look at bunches of kitchen magazines that were out there. I picked up quite a few. What I found was I would use the same magazines over and over again--as I was doing each part of my kitchen I would drag them back out. When I was buying a faucet, I looked at just faucets, then the floors, you get the idea. It's funny, since I really don't have any more decisions in the kitchen--I'm not looking at them anymore! Yay. Back to Elle Decor now!

• zeebee
    14 years ago

My mainstays for my old rowhouse are House Beautiful, Traditional Home and This Old House. I also like Living Etc. (British decor mag).

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

My current favorites are Better Homes and Gardens and Country Living - do those count? I love most of the kitchens they feature. When I was looking exclusively for kitchen ideas and narrowing down inspirations, I collected as many BH&G "Kitchen and Bath" issues as I could.

Seattle Rain - Atomic Ranch? Is that a magazine? I'd love to have another kitchen somewhere that I could do in a late 50's-early 60's style - coffee shop/Googie style!

I grew up with Sunset magazines around the house - my parents lived in Monterey and San Diego for awhile before moving back to the East coast and mom always had a stack of them in the living room. Wish she hadn't thrown them out, they'd be late 60's retrolicious.

• kathycooks
    14 years ago

Consumer Reports online is my favorite for everything I buy and they have a home issue annually that has great ideas for everything. They offer pros and cons for all your kitchen needs (flooring - tile vs hardwood, for example) that you don't necessarily get with the design mags.

• busybme
    14 years ago

My husband ordered This Old House mag. from my daughters school fundraiser a few years ago and I have been subscribing ever since! It is a quick-read magazine that is very practical and informative, especially for DIYers.