Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
still_lynnski

pennyround tiles--lolog72?

still_lynnski
13 years ago

I'm really drawn to the penny round tiles! They look so cool to me--like they could be contemporary or mid-century modern or even vintage. It looks like lolog72 has used them as a backsplash in her way cool kitchen linked below--(Hope that's OK!)

I'd love to get feedback from anyone who's familiar with these tiles.

Lolog--are yours glossy or matte? How was the installation? Did you DIY or have an impression from the tilesetter? It appears that you've used white tile with a slightly contrasting grout; is that right?

Any other thoughts about using pennyround tiles?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

We used penny rounds in our entry. Lining up the mesh sections wasn't as easy as I thought it would be...It's easy to tell if they're not quite right, and in places I can tell where the pieces were lined up. I don't think anyone else notices and it was much better after grouting, of course. I don't know if different brands have different types of mesh, but our mesh wasn't very stiff, so we had to be careful to maintain spacing between tiles as they could squish together. I think this would be more of a problem on the wall when gravity is working against you.

One thing that might help a lot...My sister just tried a product available at Home Depot that is double-sided sticky stuff on which to install tile. You cut it and peel of the backing to stick it to the wall, then peel off the front and stick the tile to it. She quoted the man at HD as saying, "It works slick" and after giving it a try, she told me she had to agree. :-) I think that would make installing tile that might tend to scoot down the wall a bit more certain.

Before grout:

After...Sorry it's not better:

• prill
    13 years ago

I considered it for my bs, but ended up using it on my teeny, tiny bathroom floor. I do sometimes wish I'd used it for the bs -

Here it is on the floor Sorry for the bad picture - it's pretty dark right now. It did have a kind of flimsy mesh backing.

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Anne Sacks has some great ones, and they are in her moderate line...

• still_lynnski
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gorgeous pics--thank you!

I see what you mean, rhome, about the edges of the sheets showing up before grouting, but it disappears with grout. What a cool way to highlight and protect your entryway!

The color in prill's photo is delicious. It looks like a contrasting grout, and that the grout is sitting considerably lower than the height of the tiles. Is that right?

Ann Sacks moderate? I was thinking overstock super-super cheap. But thanks for the heads up!

• prill
    13 years ago

I got mine from Mission Stone and Tile. They weren't on their website, but one of the sales people sent them to me as a sample after I told him what I was looking for. They were very reasonable and the company very good to work with. They have some other very pretty penny tiles too.

The grout isn't that much lower and it showed a bit dark in that picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Penny Tile

• lolog72
    13 years ago

Hey! Glad you like them! Mine are actually from Ann Sacks... part of their basics line and really affordable. I've attached a close-up pic below. They're glossy and actually white with a faint gray ring around the outer edge. The grout is a white.
    As far as installation goes I would recommend a pro. My contractor's tile guy butchered the first attempt. He got halfway up the wall and it was totally crooked and uneven. I had them scrape it off, ordered more tile and found a tile guy who had experience with penny rounds. The sheets are on mesh and they can move around a lot of too much thinset is used. It also takes some skill to lay the sheets so you don't see where one ends and the next begins. After a rocky start on the first installation attempt, the 2nd guy did a good job and they're my favorite thing in the kitchen. Because I'm examining every inch I do still see unevenness in some of the rows, but it's nothing that anyone else has ever noticed.

• kelseybrooklyn
    12 years ago

Lolog72. Love your kitchen and backsplash. Which color is this from Ann Sacks? And what color grout?
    Thanks.
    Kelsey