Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zivman

Are 3 ovens too many?

Zivman
10 years ago

I just got word my range top has an ETA of 2/20. that's fine and all, but my wife is pushing me to get the full range. Since it is still not in, I have the opportunity to get her the range. Now keep in mind this is in addition to a double wall oven setup. So my math skills counts that as 3 ovens.

We are a family of three. She cooks/bakes more than the average family, but not a 'ton'. Technically I have room in the budget for the price increase now that I have formal quotes on cabinets and countertop.

At this point I have the following:
DCS WODU-30 (30" double wall ovens)
DCS MO-24SS-2 (regular microwave)
DCS CPU-366 (36" gas range top)

I would potentially be swapping out the CPU-366 for a RGU-366 (36" Gas range).

is this just overkill or is it money worth spending while i have the opportunity? we are talking about 2340 buck difference... though I think I get their dishwasher promo with it.

words of wisdom?

Comments (24)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Two ovens is too many for me, and yes, it sounds like three ovens is too many for you (frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would need three ovens).

• Zivman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow factor? ;)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Honestly, it wouldn't wow me - I'd be wondering what else I could have done with the space taken up by the third oven. :-)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I just remembered that my best friend had 3 ovens in her old house - she used them all at the same time ONCE A YEAR (Christmas eve)!!

• Chris
    10 years ago

Maybe 3 is overkill but I'd kill for the chance to have both gas and electric ovens. I swear by gas ovens for roasting and electric for baking.

Whilst I wouldn't claim to use 3 ovens I could certainly see it being handy, especially if you cook for large numbers. If I had access to 3 ovens, I'm sure there would certainly be times I'd use them - it's a luxury for sure though. I think I'd be asking what you'd do with the space below the range top (i.e. are you losing anything from having the full gas range) and if there's anything else that you'd really like to spend the money on (integrated coffee machine, other luxury items etc)?

• Zivman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My kitchen isn't huge, but vs what I currently have, I am not losing storage space... losing some here, gaining some there. Technically I would be losing a drawer stack under the proposed cooktop

I am getting exactly what I want with my cabinets. Not sacrificing anything there. No use for coffee machine or specialized items like that. I bought the exact sink my wife wanted. found a nice island hood. Even bought the high buck unilume UCL.... really, everything is accounted for

the "only" thing I can think of is buying another slab of granite and having a custom built ea tin counter/table built with that money. But almost thinking that might be too much of a good thing (granite)

• romy718
    10 years ago

Consider a steam oven or speed oven for one of the wall ovens? Or a microwave/convection oven & you can eliminate the microwave?
    When entertaining a crowd (the holidays), I need a third oven. Pulled it off for many years with two 27" wall ovens. I would have loved to have space for 2 wall ovens and a range. We only had 24" of wall space so we opted for a steam/convection oven & a Speed oven (microwave/convection), in addition to a range. We are only a family of 2 & I anticipate most of my daily cooking will be the steam & the speed oven.

• finestra
    10 years ago

When I entertain, I would use three. But I like the idea of the speed or steam oven as the third. I have a gas and an electric and still have old electric. It comes in really handy. But it isn't in my main kitchen. I only use it a few times a year. I don't know if I would have planned to have it in my main kitchen.

• Zivman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am locked into the double setup I have. I considered a speed oven (advantatium) and actually had it on order, but an array of factors kept it out.

I could have done the convection micro in the DCS, but I wasn't in love with the style/unit that matched the ovens/cooktop and didn't want to pay the premium for it.

I have contacted my cabinet guy and we'll see what he says. I didn confirm I would get the free dishwasher with the range.

• jcmjcm
    10 years ago

I planned for a rangetop and double wall oven. After taking my mother shopping with me, she recommended I purchase a range. My heart was set on an electric wall oven for its features. So I went with a 48 in gas range, which has one large oven and a side smaller oven, plus the electric wall oven. It's the best combo, no regrets.

• ianace
    10 years ago

Not to rain on your parade, but if you haven't actually ordered the cabinets yet, you could still see some price changes, especially if you start swapping stuff in and out. Maybe you've done this already or $ isn't a factor. Have you allocated an overage budget? It's always more than you expect. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Hi,
    Go for the 3 ovens and I also support a combi convection steam oven for oven #3. We originally planned for a range top and double electric wall ovens, then I discovered the convection steam oven. I had to have it. Initially, DH asked if we could live with one electric oven and one convection steam oven. I brought him to see the combi convection/steam he agreed to 3 ovens. There are just 2 of us but we entertain a lot. The combi steam is a smaller size so it makes a lot of sense to use it for just the 2 of us.
    We have used all 3 ovens at the same time on many occasions and we started using our new kitchen at the end of June. So, no, 3 ovens is not over kill, we love having 3 ovens. The combi steam requires a learning curve but so much fun experimenting.
    Go for it!
    MJ

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Why not get the range and the single wall oven? That would be my preference.

If you can swing it and it's not too late for plumbing, add the Gagg combi. Budget buster but worth it.

• agk2003
    10 years ago

i don't think 3 is too many. i was thinking of doing that myself. but it really depends on your use. i like to entertain and i think they are useful for that.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I see our troll is back, but have to say I chuckled at her post.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

You know the old saying.......you can never be too thin, too rich or have too many ovens.

A more important saying may be happy wife, happy life.

I have one oven and there are plenty of times i could use two, and i bet if i had two i could grow into three. My mother had two and i bet she wouldn't mind another. She bakes, cooks and entertains alot though.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Until a year ago I cooked and baked with one oven and a countertop toaster oven. On holidays and when we had a lot of guests I always wished I had at least one other larger oven, but other than that was happy.

We moved a year ago into a house with 4 ovens (double gas ovens and double electric ovens) installed by the previous owner. I now use 2 ovens frequently, we use 3 ovens every now and then, and we used all 4 ovens only once - on Christmas - but it was mostly for the novelty of it.

So, where I stand now: two is great, three is nice on holidays but otherwise not really needed..

• Zivman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made the decision yesterday to keep the range top (slide in) and not do the range upgrade.

I had money in the budget, and still would have a bit left over for reserve, but it came down more to other factors. mainly aesthetics and function. I have a tight corner that would have been made tighter by adding the range. I also didn't want to loose the large 36" drawers that would be underneath the range top.

I probably would have saved some money on cabinetry to offset the cost of the range upgrade, but again it wasn't just about the money.... that said, I felt like I had a very disproportionate amount spent on appliances already.

here's some of what I have going. Appliances were bought in October and the last pic below is where I am at today.

The final kitchen will be a U-shaped setup with two peninsulas. Lowers are going to be a natural walnut (actual walnut)
    Uppers are painted white (birch)
    Shaker style inset with soft close doors and drawers
    DCS cooking appliances
    Meile dishwasher
    GE Fridge
    Kohler whitehaven sink
    VAH 42" range hood
    unilume UCL
    Bianco Cream granite
    keeping my menards special bamboo flooring
    added in 6" cans with LED inserts
    still debating on keeping existing faucet and what type of pulls (SS or ORB)
    Flowerpot pendant over sink

semi original setup with a little bit of demo started:

My fridge wall with a couple old cabinets still in place with my new fridge. to the left of the fridge I had a wall with a clothes chute that I removed. This wall will be 30" pantry cabinet - 36" fridge opening - 30" double oven stack/cabinet - 30" microwave cabinet stack

final stages of demo (save for removal of old cabinetry). wall cutoff looking into the dining room and opening ceiling to run new exhaust for my range hood.

• Zivman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red, The single wall oven with the range was considered, but that was something that couldn't be done. I was locked into the double walls, because thats what my wife originally really wanted. I was going to just do a drop in range top, but decided to upgrade to the slide in for more burners, more btus, higher end look, and more cooking space. at that point I could have gotten the range and single wall for the same money as the double wall and slide in range top..... but I was already locked into the double wall.

the 3rd oven would be cool, but I think we 'need' the storage more than the 3rd oven.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Good decision! I don't think every household member needs his/her own oven. Good luck with your project!

• Stephanie S
    10 years ago

I see what you mean Zivman! Good luck, sounds like you are making good choices for your situation. I like that fridge, is it the counter depth Cafe? When we upgrade ours, I want one with a flat front like yours.

• sayde
    10 years ago

I think it is very handy to have three separate ovens from the standpoint of having three different places at different temperatures. And it is nice to have both gas and electric. But I cannot imagine having three full size ovens. I have a gas range, a Miele speed oven, which works both as a thermal electric oven and a microwave as well as in combination as a "speed" oven. I also have a Breville countertop oven. So I do have three ovens, but one is 24 inches and one is smaller than that. I like having the flexibility -- little ovens come up to temp much faster and are great for cooking small items. Just another strategy to consider . . . .

• Zivman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sstrazisar, yes it's a cafe series but full depth. I paid 2519 for it. We wanted a flat face fridge with chunky handles that would go better with the DCS ovens we chose. We had ruled out an island (kitchen is about a 1' too narrow to make it fit the way we wanted) and needed the extra fridge space. Also, the counter depth isn't discounted so we saved a few hundred bucks.

I did buy the warranty on it. with all the crap it has-> screen, heated water, and even just ice and water in the door, I figured it was money well spent. Not only that, after reading lots of reviews, all makes and models of fridges have less than stellar reliability records. I will say the fridge is nice, but quiet it isn't.

My cabinets, the lowers that is, will be installed the weekend of the 22nd. I cannot wait, this has been a work in progress since October

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH