Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
night_jasmine

What do you line your drawers / shelves with?

night_jasmine
14 years ago

What do you line your drawers / shelves with?

Comments (22)

• woodzilla
    14 years ago

Cats.

Or, more accurately, cat hair!

• night_jasmine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Should I buy 1 or 2 cats per shelf?

• night_jasmine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

But seriously, there are things to buy to line shelves and drawers with, I hope. The old ones had wallpaper.

What are people using?

• teresa518
    14 years ago

Nothing.... My contractor looked at my crooked but I had these rubber mats in my old YUCKY cabinets, I figure that the new ones are ---new so I didn't line them.

I try to spare them the cat hair but I'm not always successful:-)

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I'm sorry, this is another unhelpful "nothing" answer -- I don't want yet another thing to get dusty and have to wash, and it kind of grosses me out not to be able to sweep crumbs or spills of whatever right off the shelf with a dustrag.

But if you search for "cushy cupboards" or something similar, there are a lot of positive reviews on the board for that product. :)

• donka
    14 years ago

I used shelf liner from Ikea. A lot of people here use a product called Cushy Cupboards. They're both a somewhat thick, plastic liner that you cut to size and throw in. there's no adhesive so you can take them out for a wash etc.

The Ikea liner I have works great, was pretty cheap. I can't speak for the cushy cupoards liner but there are a lot of supporters here so it must be good :)

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

PS: woodzilla, I don't line my cupboards with cats, I line my counters with 'em. ;-)

• plllog
    14 years ago

There's also cork, which I'm contemplating, at least for my pot drawers.

• woodzilla
    14 years ago

@circuspeanut: Or line a wall... ;)

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

i use the liners from ikea. You can cut them to size.

• squigs
    14 years ago

I got the clear plastic liners from Ikea, but I cannot get them to lay flat! argh! I held them down with pots for days and they still won't lay flat. what am I doing wrong?

• julie94062
    14 years ago

(Love the kitties!)

I used LifeLiners from Bed, Bath & Beyond. They're clear plastic (so you can see the inside of your new cabinets!) and ribbed on one side. I just cut to size and most stay put. On the uppers, I put tiny pieces of double sided tape on the corners so that it doesn't catch when you're putting things away. It lays nice and flat.

LifeLiner

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Julie suggested liners from BB&B...I would echo that sentiment. I helped my SIL with liners from Ikea....while they were fairly inexpensive, they didn't lie flat. I suggest if you have these that you can iron them and soften the plastic--maybe lie a sheet/fabric over the liners and use the coolest setting.

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

I got this white honeycombed waffley stuff at HD. It is fine. It was relatively inexpensive, came in several sizes and cuts really easily. Nothing skids, and it's nice to the glasses.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

My drawers, well with spanx..oh wait not those drawers...

Honestly, nothing :) I'm in the naked drawers and shelves camp, though my mother often comes along and puts anything she can find down as a liner when I'm not watching (paper towels, placemats...I'm hiding the bathmats...)

I love no liner :) Nothing yucky to move, no wrinkles, no crinkles :)

Now my cats on the other hand...well they're obviously more refined than those above and wouldn't shed a hair on my cabinets...they prefer being decorating accessories in the main parlor:
    {{!gwi}}

And they're no lazy susans (pun intended) When they line a sink...they LINE the sink:

• country_smile
    14 years ago

I bought two different types - the waffle type for drawers with utensils and heavy cast iron, and nonstick for cupboards with dishes. But, I do not use anything in the cupboards with glass.

I'm from the "a picture is worth a thousand words" camp, so here are two photos . . .

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Sorry, no photos of cats in my kitchen.

• budge1
    14 years ago

I used cork. I put it in about 4 years ago and it's still good. I love it, but it doesn't really stop heavy cutlery from sliding around. It's good for pots, etc.

• doonie
    14 years ago

I have 2 kitties, do I have to line my drawers? What are the pros and cons of drawer lining?

• night_jasmine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had no idea how pretty tortoiseshell kitties are! I had never seen one before.

I am glad there are some suggestions from HD an BBB because Ikea is too far away.

Still waiting for someone to point out that they line their stairs, bed, husband, washer and dryer, stove, stew pots, and chandeliers with cats... (you know you have these photos, don't deny it!)

• bireland
    14 years ago

Tilly, Chico and Cinnamon can't wait to line the drawers. Pictures of adorable kits and helpful advice. Best post, yet

• night_jasmine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is plastic or cloth better?

Looks like the thread ended and I still wanted to see more kitty pictures :(

• marja
    14 years ago

Oh, I'm planning my kitchen renovation, and now I know what I need to finish it off - cats!!! Love the pictures, keep 'em coming!