Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glad_gw

White or ''Stone Look'' Subway Tile Backsplash

glad
16 years ago

I am going to buy my tile tomorrow. I am leaning toward the clean look of plain white subway tile, but would consider a stone look porcelain. I am concerned, though, it may be difficult to find one that doesn't look like I tried to match my granite and failed! Also, both my tile and granite have a lot of movement, so I don't think I should introduce another pattern or neutral shade in the 'splash. Thoughts?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)

• plants4
    16 years ago

Plain white!!! You could get something that has some texture -- beveled, pillowed, a little rippled -- but white would be better for the reasons you mentioned.

Maybe something that's off-white that matches.

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

Your granite is so beautiful I would let it be the "star" of the kitchen and go with plain white. I tried picking a tumbled marble for mine but was afraid it would clash so I also went with plain white subway tiles. I'm even doing white grout because I don't want the brick pattern to stand out too much (eventhough that might be an option in your case-I think it might look good with a sand colored grout). You also have to remember your floors. Look through everybody's pics. I guess I'm just tired of the "stone-look" backsplashes.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Plain white. Let the granite be the star !

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

I think white for tile. Stainless steel would look marvelous, too.

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

I think with one pattern on your floor and another on your counter less is more with the backsplash - go with plain! I had the same scenario and did the granite as a backsplash as well so it didn't get too busy. I also saw a kitchen with a granite similar to yours that used a goldish subway tile for the back and it was nice and understated.

• glad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks, everyone, for allaying my fears that it will be too much white (stove is white, also,but the hood is stainless).
    fern- they carry a "bumpy"- probably what you call rippled? - as well as flat, pillowed and beveled ( i asked about subway when buying floor tile)
    mlraff- i was thinking white grout, too, and the narrowest possible lines!!
    jnmartha- what is goldfish subway?
    i'm taking the pictures to the store in case something catches my eye. they were very helpful when i picked my floor tile and grout color, so i'll get their thoughts, too.maybe they can talk me out of plain white grout. :)

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

You might try bringing a granite sample with you trying the lighter solid shades of neutral beiges, creams and browns from the granite with it, also. It would still be very neutral and quiet but would break up the white a little.

Sue

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I like the idea of stone versus the white subway tile. Whatever you chose, see if you can get more than one sample tile. When I made my decision, I had a section that covered a 2 ft by 2 ft section. It really helped.

Good luck!

• glad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thx; good idea about multiple tiles. i wish i were more "visual"!

• plants4
    16 years ago

If it's an consolation, it's really impossible to visualize the subtle differences in whites, off-whites, creams, light beiges. The only way to figure it out is to put the materials together and then you will find what works. I do think you could find something that picks up in the lighter part of your granite but isn't stark white.

• glad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oy! i made about three trips between the store and my apt. today with samples. they had the same pattern as my floor tile in a jerusalem gold that blended great with the granite. but in the end, it seemed like too much pattern and that glossy would look better than matte. i looked at crackle, also, in white, off-white and tan.couldn't find the right tone that was both crackle and bevel, so went with plain biscuit bevel; it is close to the paint color on the window wall. the texture of the bevel made more of a difference in the look, than the pattern of the crackle, so that is how i decided. plus, i'm fine with the lower maintenance option. :)now i have to go exchange all of my outlets and covers, which i bought in white.....

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Sounds wonderful. Make sure you post when you get it all done!

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

Beautiful granite--what is the name?

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

I just saw this and thought of your kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: mosaic

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Wow! That is beautiful. If I knew that was out there I would have used that behind my stove.

• glad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lsandler - thx. the granite is "yellow river". very variable. they had another, older lot that didn't look anything like this.
    kristen- that is really pretty! i'd consider it, too, if i had the room over the stove! (overhead cabinet and the backsplash of the (freestanding) range will not leave much room there so i'm just extending the subway back there)

• nicole93089
    16 years ago

I have the same granite but with medium maple cabinets. Floor is similar to yours too Glad, and I have been looking for the perfect backsplash tile for 2 years!! I agree that we need a tile that doesn't detract from the fabulous "star" granite. Can anyone direct us to a link that has a subway (or other size/shape tile for me) that does not look like stone but is white or off white with some texture (not crackle though for me) or some interesting pattern? The kind of tile that you don't really notice being textured/patterned until you're up close. It just blends nicely with the granite. I'd appreciate it too! thanks all.

• glad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi nicole - here is a link to the tile i picked; it looks creamier in person. think butter pecan ice cream. :)as i said above, it is close to color of my window wall in the picture.
    i also looked at a "bumpy" version (no bevel) which is a less obvious pattern, but i felt i need a little more oomph in the texture department. i also have a lot of cobalt accent pieces for the kitchen and i it will be a nice backdrop.
    my kitchen is narrow (8x11) so you really don't see the backsplash "head on" unless your cooking or doing dishes. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Adex bisque