Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaleen

Drawings versus mocking things up

Donaleen Kohn
11 years ago

Perspective drawings don't show me how things are going to be. I think they distort things. The only thing that works for me is mocking things up in the actual space.

For example, when I saw the drawings for 2LittleFishies kitchen, I thought it was going to be cavernous.

Drawing thread

Her kitchen is not cavernous but is a nice comfy size

Kitchen reveal thread

Comments (5)

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I have that issue too. Here are two of 2LittleFishies's photos for comparison: (none of the actually photos was from the same vantage point as the drawing)

In my own kitchen, I used the drawings for each side of the room individually while actually looking at that wall/space to get a grasp on things. I tried taping everything off, but that didn't really help. DH had no trouble translating the drawings into a mental picture, but I needed to be "eyes on."

• leela4
    11 years ago

Ever since our kitchen remodel we joke about ''mocking things up''. But it is what works for me, and I do it all the time now. When we eventually remodel our master bath, I know there will be a lot of that going on.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I agree. It's like the houses for sale featured online (e.g., SFGate). Everything's shot with a wide-angle lens and bedrooms look cavernous...until you realize that no bed was ever so wide.

It's hard to accommodate everything in a single shot and distortions will occur. That may show how everything might fit, but does nothing to give an idea of the feel of the room.

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

I use both for clients. One issue with perspectives is that the software allows us to alter the field of view and location of the "camera". Those two pictures above are not the same- I often create renderings to match photos so clients can get a sense of what their own renderings mean.

Many designers only draw the walls needed to put cabinets on instead of the entirety. I always draw all the walls and often other rooms. Sometimes that means to get an unrealistic view of "everything" I have to delete a wall or make it invisible.

If your working with a KD mention it to them. Ask for a real point of view.

Some of the software also allows for recording walk throughs, others just let you spin around at a location, some let us open appliance doors so you can see clearances- all help.

Still have to do mock-ups for many and have the studio set up with real world clearances. I'm often marking things out, bring in cardboard or plywood, tape things off, lay it out at their home, whatever it takes. Occasionally I drag them over to my house- my own kitchen is such that I can often mock up someone else's for them. Lot of fun really, to see when they finally get a good understanding of the space.

• dan1888
    11 years ago

Mockups are for final "feel" and making sure everything works together without surprises. It is always worth it.