Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capecg

Any regrets to choosing Inset instead of Full Overlay?

capecg
10 years ago

Would love some feedback to anyone who was sorry with choosing inset cabinets / drawers. Problems with swelling or alignment changes in the Summer?
Thanks

Comments (7)

• Zivman
    10 years ago

I am kind of curious as well. I live in MN... changing weather. I have some cabinets being installed on sunday (inset) and my builder says he has no concerns about the swelling. Said it won't be an issue for me.

FYI, my lowers are walnut, uppers are birch.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I am in New England in a very damp area, I have inset & would repeat if I ever re did the kit again. In this house I do have one drawer that doesn't soft close itself at times, I have to give it a push. If you love the look you can't get it with full overlay.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

There have been a million threads discussing this.
    Feel free to do a Google search (works better than Gardenweb search) with the words Gardenweb +inset cabinets.

• eliseharrison
    6 years ago

Hi Capecg,

I found your kitchen when searching for hearthstone with white glaze! You're the first one I've found! Anyway, right now we asked our builder for hearthstone inset cabinets, but I'm wondering if they will fell too dull. Anyway I can see another picture of your white glazed cabinets. I have a sample of hearthstone but without a glaze. Do they look more white or beige with the glaze? Also, are you happy that you did the panel instead of slabs on the base cabinets with 3 drawers? Thank you for your time!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I live in KY and Lord only knows we have a LOT of humidity in the summer - even in the winter! I did inset cabinets on top and I love them - I'd do them again in an instant. I used European cabinets on the bottom as I wanted more space inside and a very clean look - very happy with that, too.

But due to my allergies, the windows are rarely open in my house, regardless of outside temperature. It breaks my heart, but having them open "breaks" my lungs! I think one must take into account as to whether the "climate" will be consistent inside, regardless of the time of year or outside temperature. If it will vary, then inset might not be a good choice.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

Some companies will do a slight back bevel on the inset doors - this will help reduce sticking ... the more you control the humidity the better it will be. Many of my customers purchase inset and they love it - no complaints!

• salex
    6 years ago

Yes, I have regretted going with inset - but only when fitting the doors b/c I'm building them myself! But I really love them.

As mentioned above, putting a back-bevel on the drawer fronts and doors helps. And there is a wide range of reveals in inset cabinetry - typically anywhere from 1/16" to 3/16" (I've even seen some as big as 1/4" but I didn't like that look). A smaller gap looks amazing but is more likely to bind, and the cabinetmaker must be more precise.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner