Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tan Brown Granite? Yeah or Neigh?

Posted by cshea2 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 15:43

I'm in the process of painting my oak cabinets. I'll be matching the color of my wainscot and crown which is Behr Linen White. I have medium oak floors, black appliances and cream/champagne walls.

The granite guy just left my house to measure and it looks like tan brown is one of the only colors in my price range that I like. Does anyone have tan brown granite with white cabinets? If so can u post pics? I'm just hoping that its not too dark for the white cabinets. I also heard that it shows marks easily.....but I'm not that concerned as I'm obsessed with Windex!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tan Brown Granite? Yeah or Neigh?

I have tan brown granite and I love it. I have dark cabinets. Tan brown is dark and almost looks black from far away. It will definitely be a contrast to the white cabs, but your appliances are black...so it would seem that it would all tie in nicely.

o

Glad to hear you love Tan Brown. I'm painting my cabinets tomorrow so hopefully I'll have a better idea when it's done.....though this may be a week long process as I've never painted cabinets before.
But i must say, when I held up the sample I had of tan brown to my wainscot trim.... I actually loved the way the 2 tones came together. I also love the copper tone in the granite. I'm also glad you said it almost looks black as black galaxy is one of my favorites but out of my price range.

o

I painted my cabinets, I should say they were already
white but it still took me two weeks. A long process but
I am glad I did it.

Tan brown is a granite that leans toward the rust and
dark chocolate brown colors. And yes some slabs are
almost black as someone mentioned. I have a few pictures
of white with tan brown. I think if you added some brown
or rust to your backsplash it could bring in the tone of
the stone nicely to your space.

~boxer

This slab is a bit more red rust than the others I have
seen.

Photobucket

Tan Brown Granite

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tan Brown Granite

Labrador Antique brown ( a little less red)

ubatuba

o

Thanks Boxer for the pics. Yes....that first pic does look more rust colored....but maybe because the backsplash is very "rusty" red. I just finished painting for the day (it's almost 7 pm) and we've been at it all day...cleaning first with TSP then 2 coats primer. I'm exhausted and my house is a disaster!!
Btw....is that last pic antique brown or tan brown? It's very pretty. The 4th pic doesn't look like tan brown...not crazy about it.

Remodeling is insane.....time for some wine ;-))

o

I think it's tan brown but it looks like antique brown.

o

Have you looked at Baltic brown granite? It also looks nice with white cabinets and I believe it is in the same price range as tan brown. My friend has white cabinets with baltic brown countertops and it is very pretty.

I do like boxerpups' picks of white with tan brown as well. Here are some pics of my tan brown granite even though my cabinets are not white:
2011-10-23_13-36-03_112, Tan brown

2012-01-31_18-13-47_199

2012-01-31_18-11-40_791

o

Yes, you should use tan brown granite

Here is a link that might be useful: Tan Brown Granite

o

We have Tan Brown granite and enjoy it very much. However, we have a 50/50 kitchen - our lowers are stained cherry and our uppers are cream (Bone White from Benj Moore).

o

I wanted to add a quick note about the complaint that it shows fingerprints and such.

Yes, it shows mess but honestly I prefer it that way. Previously we had 12x12 tile that hid the crumbs and smears so well that my kids wouldn't wipe down the counters when they did the dishes, assuming they were clean. Now they can SEE the counters need cleaning. LOL

And, honestly the hand or fingerprints don't phase me as much as the did the first couple of weeks. We have only had the new counters for 1.5 months and I'm much more relaxed about it now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here