Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutchaccent_gw

Please help...how big should the gap be between range and cabinet

dutchaccent
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate your help. I received the "final drawings" from my cabinet maker and he allocated a 1.5 inch gap on each side of my freestanding range, apparently because he figured a 1.5 inch counter overhang on each side of the cabinets. However, that seems excessive to me. I think the gap between the cabinets and the range will look like a mistake plus I think it will gather a lot of dirt. May I ask those of you who have a freestanding range, how big the gap is between the range and the cabinets? (I realize that the granite can be cut and installed so that it is closer to the range, but I still think that it will not look right...)

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Toine in CT

Comments (17)

• raehelen
    11 years ago

Hi Toine,

We have a slide-in range, so I guess technically that is not a free-standing? There is an edge on the stove that fits over the granite. (I think that for free-standings you can buy some sort of piece that covers that gap between stove-top and granite) However, just checked, and there is barely 1/4" between sides of oven and cabinets. Nothing ever gets in there, or if it does, I'm oblivious! LOL I would check the specs on your range to see how close you can bring the cabinets, and bring them as close as is possible.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    11 years ago

I have sort of the opposite problem,in that I have only 73" on my range wall, 30" for the range, 33" for the corner cab, leaving space for a 9" cabinet, 0.5 inch for door swing, and 0.25 inch gap on either side of the range. My KD assures me that this is plenty (I was worried that I wouldn't be able to ever slide the range out again for cleaning or repairs)
    I have to trust him, he's had many years of experience.

• kgolby
    11 years ago

I currently have a free standing range w/ a Formica countertop. We are in the process of remodeling & replacing all appliances & countertops w/ granite. One of the biggest complaints I have had w/ the current range & countertops is the space between the range & Formica. Yes, it does gather food & I do have to clean it periodically. I would look at the kit that will overlap onto your granite. We are replacing our range w/ a slide in range that has a lip & will prevent food from dropping down in-between counter & appliance.

• kgolby
    11 years ago

I currently have a free standing range w/ a Formica countertop. We are in the process of remodeling & replacing all appliances & countertops w/ granite. One of the biggest complaints I have had w/ the current range & countertops is the space between the range & Formica. Yes, it does gather food & I do have to clean it periodically. I would look at the kit that will overlap onto your granite. We are replacing our range w/ a slide in range that has a lip & will prevent food from dropping down in-between counter & appliance.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

The edge of our granite is flush with the side cabinet next to the stove. It's very close - the white thing sticking up is a business card. I think I could have put 2 cards in the gap, but that's about it. The fit is tight, but the stove can be readily moved in and out.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

And just by chance, I saw a great photo posted by ratrem in another thread that is a great photo for exactly your question:

Think how terrible that would look with a 1.5" gap! Like blfenton, I'm wondering if you read it incorrectly - hope so.

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

Ask your cabinet maker to give you a 1/4" over the range dimensions. Then when they template for you counters, have them go flush, or just proud of that. ...much cleaner look, see the last photo

• taggie
    11 years ago

Like everyone above says, the cabs should be tight to the range. Our kitchen cabs are within 1/8" of the range on each side and the granite is flush.

However, it is possible that your cabinet maker really does mean 1.5 inches ... because that did happen to us recently with a new build townhome we bought. Never occurred to me in a million years that this was even possible, but here that's what the builder actually gave us and then tried to pass off as 'standard' in our PDI. Needless to say I threw a complete and total hissy fit lol, and they did come back and add filler panels in the days after we closed. I'll show you pics of it with the gap so you can see just how completely ridiculous it looks.

Here's our home kitchen and what the flush cabs should look like:

And here's our townhouse kitchen when at closing. Whatever you do, ensure your cabinet maker does not copy this look. :-)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Like the others said, 1.5" on each side is ridiculous. I used 30 1/8". I think you will find this discussion by various anonymous pros interesting and relevant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recommended appliance cutouts

• kaysd
    11 years ago

The installation manual for your range probably specifies what size gap to use. Wolf recommends 36 1/4" for a 36" range. While granite counters typically overhang the front edges of cabinet boxes by 1.5", at the opening for the range the stone should be flush to the sides of the cabinets.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I made my layout for an interference fit in all cases. If it is a friction fit, there's no room for bugs, spills, etc.

Casey

• cribbs
    11 years ago

I am a cabinetmaker and the standard is 1/8 to 1/4. I use 1/4.

Travis Alfrey
    Pinehurst, NC

• dutchaccent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your answers. It was my mistake. Because the cabinet maker is making full overlay cabinets, he planned for a 1.5 inch filler on each side of the range and the fillers will be incorporated into the cabinets. I'm sure he will do a beautiful job. I panicked for nothing. It must have been the stress from all that snow here in CT that made me not study the drawings better. Sorry...

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Dutch-I too was wondering about this so your frenzied look at your cab measurements did help someone.

I hope the snow hasn't completely buried you, but I hear there is more on the way. : (

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

3" seems like an awful lot of real estate to waste on filler! I have full overlay, and used, as I said above, 30 1/8" Now I must admit that one of my drawers needed careful adjusting to avoid rubbing on the range. However, I would have had to given up my 6" spice rack to dedicate 3" to filler on the range run!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

1/4 inch total clearance, so 1/8 inch on each side.

We pull the range two or three times a year for cleaning.

Usually there is not very much there.

It is a real PITA since the PO put down cement board and thick tile, locking in the DW under the granite counters (DW since cut apart to remove and replaced with a handicapped height unit) and leaving a Viking stove with a 1 inch step to slide it out (I remove all the knobs and door and then tip it out).

This post was edited by brickeyee on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 12:19

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County