Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diginthedirt17

Where do I buy glass panels for cabinets?

diginthedirt17
14 years ago

I'd like to add glass panels to a few cabinets in our kitchen, but I'm stumped as to where to buy the glass?!

I'd like something frosted or old-fashioned looking, instead of just clear glass that I could buy from Ace Hardware.

Any ideas?

Once I find the glass I'll ask how to switch it out! :)

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Remove your doors and take them to a mirror/glass business in your area. don't try to DIY. ;o)

• User
    14 years ago

I picked out glass at a local stained glass studio/retail store. My KD sent me there. They have a HUGE selection. I'm sure you can find one nearby and they can direct you to someone who can install it in your cabinets.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I bought mine at my neighborhood glass/mirror shop. I had 4 cabinet doors that I wanted to install glass panels. I brought one of the cabinet doors into the shop so that they could measure. I chose panels that are clear glass with a bevelled edge because I wanted the clear glass (no frosted or seeded for me), and the bevelling adds a luxury look to the glass. The bevelling almost doubled the cost of the glass but it was worth it IMO. In about a week, the glass shop called me that the glass was ready. I brought the 4 cabinet doors in, they installed the glass (I think I left the doors there overnight and picked them up the next day). My cabinet doors have easy "clip-style" hinges, so once I brought them home, it was cinch to hang them (though they were a little heavy).

I thought the cost was very reasonable. I had checked with some online glass places, and the online places seemed more expensive, and I would have had to deal with shipping, and the installation. I really liked the customer service at my local place. The people there were so nice and helpful.

My advice is to look in your yellow pages and find a couple of local glass stores and call them or stop in to tell them what you have in mind, and see what they say as to cost.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I have clear glass, but am *longing* to have clear leaded glass! I also like the seeded glass because while it *is* clear, gives the illusion of not being as transparent. I like that feature. ;o)

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I wanted to add to my previous post that the cabinet doors I brought to the glass shop were just the door frames that were designed to hold glass panels. From your OP, it sounds like you want to take solid cabinet doors and convert them into a glass cabinet door, is that right? I don't think that's possible, but maybe someone else can chime in who knows how to do that. Or, you could go to the manufacturer of your cabinets, and purchase matching cabinet doors that are just the frames to hold the glass. Bring those to the glass shop.

• User
    14 years ago

Henderson's which is a national chain.

AK - Cutting out the centers of your doors can be done and is relatively easy if you have the right tools. I've seen it done a couple of times and it looked great.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Bendheim glass has a lot of choices. I got some fascinating samples from them. Haven't bought anything yet, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bendheim cabinet glass

• diginthedirt17
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I don't know why I didn't think of a local glass company, guess I was just thinking they did windows?!

Bendheim has some beautiful examples! Thanks for the link!