Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All brick backsplash or brick and what?

Posted by kireland (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 15:38

Kitchen is L shaped and my H is enamored with having a brick wall behind the stainless steel range hood/chimney, which is on the short side of the L, beside the refrigerator which is "built into" the cabinets. It would be a mix of reds & grays like "normal exposed brick". I like this idea but I'm not sure whether to carry it through to the rest of my backsplash or not - on a different wall, the long side of the L, where my sink, dishwasher and wall ovens are. Since they are on different walls I think it would be okay to go with brick behind the cook top/range hood as though it is an architectural detail and some other material for the rest of the backsplash.

If it helps my appliances are stainless steel, kitchen cabinets will be off-white painted maple (Merillat Maple 'Chiffon'), counter-top will be polished granite in Virginia Mist (dark gray/black, with white veins). While not adjacent to the backsplash in any way, there will also be an island in maple stained dark-brown (Merillat Maple 'Kona'), topped with honed Blanco Carara marble (white with grey veins).

So continue the brick as backsplash or use something else? If something else, what? with all of the different surfaces in play I'm thinking keep it simple. Maybe subway tiles in white? Maybe an extra tall granite backsplash to match the counter and then just paint the wall up to the cabinets?

Thanks for any and all opinions you may have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All brick backsplash or brick and what?

ETA: We will be using bead board that matches the cabinets elsewhere in the kitchen so maybe that's a good idea between the granite countertop and the cabinets...

o

Others will comment with great stylistic advice, but all I'm thinking here is "cleanup nightmare." Not saying to not do brick, but to be careful what brick (and what mortar) you choose--smooth rather than rough, etc.--and possibly look into ways you could seal it so that it's less difficult to clean.

o

I live near Boston and there are some amazing brick walls
used in the decor of beautiful homes. This picture popped
into my mind. I think the entire wall in brick would be
beautiful. It would be even nicer if you could find rustic,
used and antique reclaimed bricks for that natural texture.
I would not worry too much about clean up unless you are
terribly messy cook. A good old toothbrush and clean
any spatters that might on ocassion show up.
hope these ideas help.
~boxer

Souther living magazine (Makes me think of a home in boston)
Photobucket

Westford Home
Photobucket

Film North Florida blog
Photobucket

Dallas Kitchen
Photobucket

Artisan Kitchen and Baths
Photobucket

Pitut
Photobucket

John Lewis Kitchens
Photobucket
AJC Home Finder Historic homes

Photobucket

Photobucket

Heart Stone Builders

Country Living Magazine

TONC

Not red brick but lovely never the less with the hood
against the brick wall
From Small kitchens design blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here