Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple Natural Stained Cabinets & Golden Oak Floors...Keep, or Not

Posted by amck (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 15:28

I've posted recently about whether to replace my broken range w/ a new slide-in or go w/ a cooktop & wall ovens. For practical reasons I'm going w/ a new induction slide-in.

DH still wants to get rid of the OTR MW & put in a venting hood & tile the backsplash area. We've only had paint on the B/S area for the past 11 yrs.

This will forestall a major remodel, but it will still mean some "disruption" to the cabinetry. It's Kraftmaid, maple, shaker-style doors - 12 yrs. old - w/ natural stain. Came w/ the house. We replaced the formica countertops w/ granite called "Golden Leaf" which is mostly taupe/golden sage/black. Granite is on both the countertops & the island.

My DD & SIL are intrepid and talented DIY'ers. DD is lobbying for painting the cabinets and island. I agree that there is a lot of same colored woodtones going on in my kitchen area. However, 2 things give me pause before I paint. The first is that we have an open floor plan & the kitchen is visible from the adjoining sunroom & DR & even part of the LR. In that respect, I like having the neutral base. The second issue is just being a little hesitant to paint over the natural wood. It's been so easy to maintain - doesn't show fingerprints, dust, doesn't chip or show wear when washed.

Any thoughts? Opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple Natural Stained Cabinets & Golden Oak Floors...Keep, or

Depends on if you like it! Show a photo and we can tell you if WE like it though. :)

(If the OTR comes out without leaving messy cabs next to it, I'd be tempted to leave it. Painting cabinets is hard work. If it's too woody with the floors, put in a colorful area rug.)

o

I still (hanging my head, shame faced) don't know how to upload photos. But I will get someone to help me and post a few. Would be best to take them in daylight.

fori, having taken part in DD's reno I do know how labor intenstive it is to paint cabinets properly. DD & SIL painted them in his Dad's home and later in their own. They have a large garage space (w/ heat) & a good sprayer. I helped with the priming, sanding, & poly stages with the ones for their home. Lots of steps & drying time between but the results were so worth it. I know I'll go bananas during the process, having everything out of order. But I could get through that. I just have to decide if a change is in order.

I'm so used to seeing it as it is, I can't be objective. That's why I'd like opinions from the folks here.

o

In my last house my one big regret was having the same color cabinets and floor. I like some contrast. Hard to say without a picture but I know I have really liked some of the transformed wood to painted kitchens on GW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here