Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Maple Natural Stained Cabinets & Golden Oak Floors...Keep, or Not

amck2
11 years ago

I've posted recently about whether to replace my broken range w/ a new slide-in or go w/ a cooktop & wall ovens. For practical reasons I'm going w/ a new induction slide-in.

DH still wants to get rid of the OTR MW & put in a venting hood & tile the backsplash area. We've only had paint on the B/S area for the past 11 yrs.

This will forestall a major remodel, but it will still mean some "disruption" to the cabinetry. It's Kraftmaid, maple, shaker-style doors - 12 yrs. old - w/ natural stain. Came w/ the house. We replaced the formica countertops w/ granite called "Golden Leaf" which is mostly taupe/golden sage/black. Granite is on both the countertops & the island.

My DD & SIL are intrepid and talented DIY'ers. DD is lobbying for painting the cabinets and island. I agree that there is a lot of same colored woodtones going on in my kitchen area. However, 2 things give me pause before I paint. The first is that we have an open floor plan & the kitchen is visible from the adjoining sunroom & DR & even part of the LR. In that respect, I like having the neutral base. The second issue is just being a little hesitant to paint over the natural wood. It's been so easy to maintain - doesn't show fingerprints, dust, doesn't chip or show wear when washed.

Any thoughts? Opinions?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!