Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range between long windows. Pictures?

Posted by chesters_house (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 15:27

We're slowly (as slow as bids on the job come in) moving toward a kitchen renovation. The plan has been to move the stove (just fits) between two tall (83 inches including molding) windows that are 25 inches from the floor. This allows us to vent directly out an exterior wall without dealing with the expense of moving the stack. We'd place tables on either side in front of the windows.

I've seen one example of this arrangement here -- antiquesliver's I believe. Any others? Google image searching hasn't turned up much for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range between long windows. Pictures?

Well shoot, I came in here to post antiquesilver's kitchen. :)

Maybe this one will help you visualize a little. It's got the range between doorways with a cart blocking one side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Full kitchen link

o

o

check breezygirl's as well.

o

Yes - breezygirl! Good call blfenton. Love her kitchen too. :)

o

Thanks for all of the pics! Tracie-Erin's find, like antiquesliver's, lives with the situation. It would be the less expensive option, and does point toward unfitted, and maybe unmatched. That can work, thanks!

The others (thanks for the Houzz pics!) , including Breezygirl's amazing kitchen, would mean partially blocking two east facing windows. Doable Well, if a contractor ever comes back with a bid. And the windows still have plenty of height. The view is of the old shed (the summer kitchen, as the realtors described it) -- not exactly mountains or lakes.

It seems like not blocking those windows is the unusual way to go. Even British kitchen websites don't turn up much.

o

Here are a couple more photos of partially blocked windows, though not flanking a range.

o

You're right - there aren't many examples out there; I look forward to seeing yours when it's done.

When I planned mine, it was strictly out of necessity because there was no other way to ventilate. An almost identical house in my neighborhood had a small range in the same spot with no hood or tables & it was the most pathetic looking thing I'd ever seen. I was scared to death to make the decision but after 10 years, it still works & it's not ordinary - 2 of my favorite things!

Visually, proper scale is the key. Having the hood in scale to the window height & other upper cabs in the room keeps the range from looking like an orphan.

o

Would it make sense in your situation to shorten the windows to about 40" from the floor?

o

Chesters, I am also looking at such a scenario and am now -- after many months of resisting -- getting bids to raise the windows from 19" off the floor to about 40". Ours is an older house and this will mean re-sizing the wooden window sash, ugh - hopefully yours will be less involved?

o

PS: I've always loved this kitchen layout, where the window panes are replaced with muddled glass and linked across the range via a tiled shelf -- from Peter LaBau's New Bungalow Kitchen book:

o

Unfortunately I can't resize, since the house is brick. But circuspeanut -- that ledge idea is great. I wonder if we could work that into partially blocking the windows. Not only does it tie in (only question is when to stop -- what happens at the perpendicular wall) but makes how outlets are added a bit more obvious than in the other partially blocked window photos.
They must be there somewhere to satisfy code if nothing else, perhaps running below the counters.

Much to think about. If we go unfitted we would have tables and an almost proper hood (36 instead of 42). Picking up backsplash tile might also help in making it look less like an orphan bit stuck out there.

Another contractor stops by tomorrow...

o

Doesn't Casey have a sink in front of an old-house low window? Perhaps his concept would allow some cabinets by the range. Anyone happen to have a link to that?

I think a range between windows is fine--the problem is that there is no spot to put stuff by the range, right?

o

Just FYI, I also have a brick house, and I raised my window by about 11" (4 courses of brick). It can be done if you desire it to be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here