Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raenjapan

$425 kitchen makeover

raenjapan
13 years ago

Hi guys! I haven't been here much lately, I used to be a bit more active on this board, but I thought I'd share, anyway.

We moved into this house several months ago, and it was more country than I prefer, but we love the house and the location, so we're working with it. I finally have the kitchen like I want it; trying to tone down the country influence while staying true to the the farmhouse feel.

Anyway, cost breakdown:

New lighting (3 pendants, and chandelier over the dining room table, all IKEA) : $130

Backsplash (lowes subway tile): $120

paint: $25

Range hood: $250

Sold existing micro-hood for -$100

Total $425

Before pics, with the old owners' stuff (not exactly a train-wreck of a kitchen, but the red uppers sucked so much light out that it felt kind of like a cave):

After:

It's so much more airy in there now, and I love having a real range hood. That micro hood was awful; barely any lighting underneath, and useless as a range hood.

Comments (33)

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Wow, it looks amazing. I think it was a great idea to keep the cranberry below, but the white uppers really open up the space. You have a fabulous kitchen now. Enjoy your new home!

• sedeno77
    13 years ago

Looks great!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Wow!!! This makeover deserves some kind of special Kitchen Design Genius award! With just a few small touches -- paint, pendants, backsplash and hood-- you have leaped mountains from a "nice" kitchen to one that is truly "LOVELY!!" Very inspirational. Congratulations and enjoy!

• Fori
    13 years ago

Coooool I love those cabinets but all red was definitely a touch too barnyard. I would totally accept that kitchen. (Maybe you can budget and manage my next kitchen makeover?)

I like it.

• bh401
    13 years ago

WOW!! That looks soooooo much better! You definetly gave it a lighter feel and at a bargin price to boot! Kudos to you!

Bridge

• stephct
    13 years ago

Wow! I am so impressed. it looks fabulous. LOVE your IKEA lighting. What color white did you use?

• kaysd
    13 years ago

The kitchen looks so much brighter and fresher with the light uppers and new lights. I like that you kept the red lowers. Great job!

• kathylquiltz
    13 years ago

That's wonderful! The difference a few rather small changes make is just amazing. Enjoy it!

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

Really like that you only painted the top white. The subway tile pulls it together. Nice job!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

FAB-U-LOUS!!!!!!!!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

That looks amazing!

I remember when you posted that kitchen a while back.

You have made it your own--congrats!

• ravmd
    13 years ago

What a difference! Looks wonderful!
    I just looked at those pendant lights today at IKEA. I liked those and the Foto chrome ones. Are you happy with the lighting? I was concerned it would be too bright without frosted glass?
    Really love what you did!

• lawjedi
    13 years ago

Great job!!! looks fantastic... and it shows that a kitchen with good bones is the most important thing - you can change looks without too much fuss if the bones are good!

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

That looks so gorgeous! What a great job you did! Amazing!!!

• dfzmom
    13 years ago

Looks great! And really impressive for under $500.

Can you provide details on the Lowes subway tile like the model number or brand and size? I've seen it in a couple gardenweb kitchens now and it looks really nice! Thanks so much!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

That is a beautiful, spacious, multi butt kitchen. Like the fixtures. Enjoy your new home.

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

Very nice job!! I can't get over the difference. Love the lighting. The original lighting was butt ugly, for lack of a better word. The red base cabinets really work now.

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

dfzmom, the tiles are just the simple stock white 3x6 subway. I've put the link at the bottom.

ravmd, I love the lights. We do have a dimmer on that switch, though. Usually I have them on full blast and it doesn't seem too bright.

Here is a link that might be useful: subway tiles

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Awww, you got rid of the moose pendants? Kidding of course!
    Your kitchen update looks really great and I love those pendants. Even better is that DH likes them too, so we may be taking a trip to Ikea soon. Thanks for the tip.

The subway tile is perfect with those white cabinets and now the cranberry color works too.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I remember this from before, did you buy this without seeing it in person?

It looks great! And for $425, shhhhhh, don't tell any of the dh's on here, please.

Just wait til the first non TKO person comes in and asks when are you going to paint the bottom (or top) cabinets...oh, and it WILL happen!

Congrats!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

It's amazing how much fresher, crisper, and airier/brighter the kitchen looks! And as others as have said, with just a very few inexpensive changes. Congratulations and happy cooking!

Becky

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

Wow!! gorgeous! I hadn't even thought of Ikea for my lights.. I figured everything would be too modern.. but I LOVE those. I just decided this morning to go with stock subway tile too.. glad to see it on a wall and looking gorgeous! :)

• prill
    13 years ago

what a huge difference you made for so little money. You must be thrilled with the changes. Congratulations on a great job.

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

What a fabulous transformation! Happy to see the "cow bell-like" pendants and the moose are gone, gone! Each choice you made was spot on!! Congratultions!!

• Lake_Girl
    13 years ago

What color grout did you use on your subway tile from Lowes? Thanks!

• timber.j
    13 years ago

That was a not-too-bad kitchen before, but now it is amazing! So much brighter and fresher looking! I like what you did in the corner cabinets, too.

• raenjapan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great memory, beekeeperswife! Yeah, we bought the house sight unseen. Turned out great, though; we're really happy here.

The grout is half black, half white. They didn't have any grey unsanded grout, so I had to buy a container of both, driving my costs up ten dollars.

I was originally going to get new glass for the corner cabs, something you couldn't really see through (I can't keep the insides of cabinets tidy enough for clear), but I ended up just putting some fabric in there, which I like because I can change it out when I get tired of it.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

so incredible! and so smart... it's like you knew exactly what to do. the kitchen looks like it was meant to be like that all along. great job!!!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Amazing redo! And your budget--you should teach a class! I love the red lowers now with your white uppers and new fixtures! What kind of range hood did you get?

Enjoy!!

• L H
    13 years ago

Better makeover for less money than I've seen on all the HGTV shows. Looks great!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I remember this one too!

Go on with your bad self! This is a great makeover. Looks awesome! Totally going to clip your kitchen. Love it! Love the pendants. Love the tile. I have to say, the cabinets were beautiful to begin with so you really had something good to work with there. Looks amazing! Enjoy the new digs.

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

It looks a million times better!!!! Great job!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Love the changes! So smart to keep the cranberry lowers. The white on top really does open up the entire kitchen. You are the kitchen makeover queen! I remember a few of the other kitchens you've done for so little money. I agree, we need to keep you hidden away from our husbands. Just for grins and for the newbies, you should post some of the older ones with pricing.