Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeysucklevine_gw

Vote! Marble or white tile/dark grout backsplash? (pic heavy)

honeysucklevine
14 years ago

Vote:

Marble or white tile / dark grout backsplash???????

*If marble, then carerra or calcutta gold?

*If white tile, then beveled or nonbeveled?

*Is best tile size 4x8, 6x8, 3x6, etc?

*Visible or invisible grout?

(Lots of pictures below.)

Sketch of kitchen. White hood, white cabinets, wood floor, white range (neutral whites), black stone countertop, paint probably a warm off white (I made it yellow in the sketch to see it but it won't be yellow in real life).

{{!gwi}}

Hood will look like this in white. No vertical bands.

{{!gwi}}

Those things above the windows in the sketch are woodwork with crown that goes to ceiling like in traci's kitchen below:

{{!gwi}}

Here are some kitchens with white tile and dark grout. (The 1st and 2nd picture are from a kitchen with beveled tile.)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Marble backsplashes:

Carrera with visible grout.

{{!gwi}}

Carrera with invisible grout

{{!gwi}}

Calcutta gold with invisible grout

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Calcutta gold with visible grout

{{!gwi}}

Unknown marble with invisible grout

{{!gwi}}

Thanks for voting!!

Comments (57)

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a kitchen with a marble slab between windows. The range is bigger than my 30 inch one, possibly twice the size. The slab looks grand. Especially because it is horizontal.
    {{!gwi}}
    Now image a very narrow slab behind a range like this going to the ceiling. I think this range is about 30 inches. The slab would be 5 ft tall by 30 inches wide. The slab would look dinky, right?
    {{!gwi}}

• marcolo
    14 years ago

In that bottom picture, I actually think a slab would have looked better than the subway does, even when using the subway under the other cabinets. A slab is one big unit, and would have more presence than a lot of little tiles. Those subways under the hood in the second picture just don't seem to have any impact to me, and the pot filler looks like it's floating.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marcolo, it is an eensie, weensie square of subways. Makes me wonder if I need to do the whole wall.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Has anyone seen white tile with dark grout behind the hood?

• plumberry
    14 years ago

I think invisible grout looks better with light countertop and visible with dark countertop -- with the dark counter softens the contrast and with the light blends it as one.

• fleur222
    14 years ago

My take on the darker grout is that I like it with the marble backsplash, the picture with the black range in the corner, because it ties in with the grey color in the tile. I think it would work if it were a lighter grey. With the white tiles, it might lean towards looking dingy. My preference is for the white grout and thin lines.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now I am starting to worry that a narrow column of tile on the focal area (only 30" wide) is going to shrink the kitchen and make it look narrower. (Especially if it is darker than anything else in the room.)

It might be better with paint behind hood and tile below hood to emphasize horizontal lines. What do you think? (My sketch is dispeoportional.)

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's another one I think is 30 inches. Doesn't the narrow strip narrow the room?
    {{!gwi}}

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I can't comment on which marble I like, but....

I like the invisible grout-why? because (this sounds dumb) the darker grout always makes the tile look like teeth to me.

I think a slab that runs vertically behind the range, and up to the ceiling, would make the space look taller.

Is there the possibility of doing a slab, and then the same type of marble in subways around the rest of the room? Or even small rectangle marble tiles around the rest of the area? I'm thinking something like a 1x6 (?) or variable sizes.

Look at Robinst's kitchen pictures for the small marble pieces. I know there was a massive hunt for these tiles in the US, someone did find them, here is the link with that information if you are interested.

Where to get Robinst's tiles:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg021312084132.html

Here is a link that might be useful: robinst's kitchen

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The one think I don't like is the random. It's too modern for me.

Here is a kitchen with tiny tile on nonfocal areas and bigger tile on focal walls.

{{!gwi}}

I am seriously, seriously overwhelmed.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

I can completely understand being overwhelmed. Where are you in the kitchen process? Are you at planning, ordering, demo, install? Maybe it would help to wait until everything is installed and you'd get a clearer vision? Not that it's helped me any, but maybe it would help you. Just a thought!

• altagirl
    14 years ago

I am sorry if you have already considered this and have moved on, but have you considered doing a stainless backsplash under the hood and tiling everywhere else? It would tie in the range and hood and sorta make them look like one unit. Your wall is already broken up with the long windows so if you use stainless it would bring them together.

If you are set on tile then my vote would be either non beveled white with invisible grout or the carrara subway with invisible grout everywhere to give a cohesive, elongated look.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

IMHO I would do a single slab of Calacatta, or other large-veined marble, up to the range hood.

I think subways will be too mincing and fragmented-looking. You need one piece of simple impact in such a small space. You can use subways elsewhere.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Altagirl, sorry I forgot to mention the range is white. There is no stainless in my kitchen.

I can't use white grout because the walls and cabinets and hood are white because the hood would disappear.

30 inches is such a narrow little teensy sliver of marble....

• sweetrain
    14 years ago

Does anyone know the color of the kitchen that honeysucklevine posted? It looks perfect for me. Greyish green??

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I use 6x6 white tile with grout it will look like this (except with white range and hood). Note the narrow space strip behind range. What do you think?

{{!gwi}}

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Version with backsplash ending below hood. Horizontal line instead of vertical.

{{!gwi}}

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does anyone think the 30" narrow strip of marble idea is a mistake or does everything think it is brilliant?

• segbrown
    14 years ago

I agree with marcolo ... just don't run it all the way to the ceiling. That makes it more square rather than a long tall rectangle.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I prefer grout the same shade or lighter than the tile. At most, a shade darker is OK. But noticeably darker grout reminds me of the dark grout used in fast food places so it doesn't show the dirt.

If the hood "disappeared" because you used white grout, wouldn't the make the room look more spacious? The hood would be visible against the lightest gray.

I don't think I like 6x6 for that space. Maybe 4x4, though I think rectangular tiles would "widen" the 30" space.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

have you considered mosaics? they would "blend" together and look like 1 cohesive statement. Maybe 1"X2"'s or mini mosaics?

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Possibly 1x2s, but they might be too trendy for me.

Segbrown, do you mean a square of marble 30x30 inches?

Riverspots, I don't know what you mean. I want the hood to show up so I am only considering: white tiles with dark grout, marble with either visible or invisible grout, or paint behind the hood (off white paint).

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I use white tiles with dark grout, do you think 4x8 or 3x6 is better?

The 1st and 2nd pictures have 4x8 and I am pretty sure the 4th has 3x6s.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Not necessarily exactly 30 in. square, but not all the way to the ceiling. Just to the hood, somewhere that looks pleasing to the eye.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

they have marble mosaics. They come 3/4"X3/4", 3/8"X3/8". You might want to take a look. I just don't know that if you go with a 3X6, or a 4X8, that you'll get enough tiles in there to make an impact. If you only have 30" in length, you'll get about 5 tiles across with a 3X6 and less than 4 tiles across with a 4X8. I don't think that's very many.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Segbrown, to the bottom of the hood is exactly 30x30 with no crown on the hood. I haven't gotten the dimensions on hood crown so if we assume it is 3 inches then a marble rectangle 30 wide by 27 high.

Malhgold, that is exactly what I am wondering (if number of tiles will look bad on the focal wall). Do you think I need to tile the whole wall?

• malhgold
    14 years ago

If the sketch you posted above is accurate, it doesn't look like you have alot of wall space on either side of the windows. If this is the case, I would say no, do not tile the whole wall. Tile behind the range and then under the cabinets.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is inches from the window to the door.

Now that I think about it, maybe it is better not to have that trim going to the ceiling on the windows. Maybe the windows are too narrow (21" is entire width of windows including wood trim). What do you think?

• marcolo
    14 years ago

How would you finish the windows without trim?!?

As I said, I would do one square of Calacatta or similar, and subways under the cabinets.

Instead of a square of marble, you could also do a big-impact mosaic, by which I mean one single pattern or image that reads as a whole.

You do not have enough wall space for little strips of tile to read as a surface.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How would you finish the windows without trim?!?

- I would continue either the wall paint or tile.

So even though one side of the kitchen has a long run of cabinets, there isn't enough room to do tile on the narrow side unless I tile the whole wall?

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Am I supposed to repeat my suggestion a specific number of times, or infinitely? LOL.

You seem to want to tile the wall. So tile it.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, I meant to say 2 inches from the window frame to the door.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

First I would decide what you want to do behind the range. If you decide tile, at that point you can figure out if you want to tile the entire wall or not. you can still do tile on the narrow side without tiling the entire wall. Do you have any actual photos instead of sketches. Do you have a sketch of the entire space instead of just that one wall?

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Has anyone seen a picture of a kitchen with a tiny slab of marble under a 30" hood?

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now I understand why people have so much trouble deciding on a backsplash.

• Fori
    14 years ago

That's not a tiny slab! Tiny on a counter, but big on a wall!

I can't help much, but I appreciate all the pictures you've compiled for me. :)

I HAVE seen (and in fact installed) white tile with darker grout under a 30" hood. It was standard 3x6" handmade subways and I was trying to match the concrete-colored grout you see in older applications. It was an older home and it seemed appropriate. Plus it didn't show dirt. But I think it would be too bold for your square--I had it continuing around.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fori, do you have pictures of it?

• Fori
    14 years ago

I looked. Got distracted by baby pictures (awwwww) but couldn't find any kitchen shots because it was a few computers ago and there aren't many old photos on my machine. I know I have some somewhere though--I'll see if the spouse knows. Of course it'll probably have a baby in the shot...

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Back to the tiles then,

Does anyone else agree with Marcolo that the calcutta gold tiles have a spotty look in an unpleasant way and are less desirable than carrera?

• malhgold
    14 years ago

Just curious...have you been to a tile store to see what's out there? It might help for you to see all these tiles in person and bring home some samples. What one person might consider spotty and blotchy might be what another person likes. Plus, each "lot" of tiles would be different. Also, if you're considering a slab behind the range, get a 12"X12" sample of marble and put it back there to see if you like that look instead of subways.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have samples at home.

• donaldsg
    14 years ago

I don't mind a light grey grout with white/light tile so that each tile is a little bit distinguished, but I would not go darker. I think the grid pattern looks too busy. if you want a white tile don't you want a more uniform look, anyway?

• smiling
    14 years ago

How about a square slab of marble with distinct strongly horizontal gray veining, and gray paint on the wall to contrast the white hood?

• marcy96
    14 years ago

I like the carrera much better than the calcutta gold. Also, I hate to say this, but I grew up in NYC and rode the subways for many years and the white subway tiles with the dark grout just remind me of the dirty white subway tiles in the NYC subway system! That's just me, sorry! You still need to do what you love!

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I go with white tile, the grout will be dark.

Does anyone agree with Marcolo that calacatta gold is splotchy looking and therefore less desirable than carrera?

Any opinions on 2x4 white tile with dark grout?

• malhgold
    14 years ago

I think a 2X4 with dark grout is going to look really busy.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sigh...and it comes in a mesh so it is easier to grout. Ok, easily eliminated, can stick with the 3x6s.

Malhgold, would you please bump my other thread about the Modernaire hood? I need to buy it asap but don't feel comfortable about the finish.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now focusing on either completely white marble or pale marble body color with pale streaking. Any suggestions? (All my samples of marble have medium to dark toned streaks.) One idea is pillowed thassos like Mindimoo, but I dont have a picture.

Is it my imagination or did my thread about choosing the finish of the Modernaire hood crown disappear?

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of Mindimoo's backsplash?

• mindimoo
    14 years ago

Here's the best one I have online:

It's AKDO Thassos 3" x 6" beveled brick, purchased through Pental in Seattle. Hope this helps! Sorry for the delay, I'm not on here much these days!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County