Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcaroline12

Wood color "rules"

LCaroline12
10 years ago

Question #287...

It's me again, and I'm back with a new plan and new questions. Originally I wanted to keep these cabinets and paint them, but now I've scrapped that idea and decided to go ahead and get my "forever" kitchen.

The layout will stay the same (U-shape with peninsula), and I actually prefer this layout to an L with an island. I just priced new cabinets with updated features to function better for me, plus cut down on wasted space.

Now for my question... I fell in love with some knotty, grainy-looking hickory cabinets that are bit lighter in color. How do you think a lighter hickory would look with these floors? One of the goals for this remodel is to break up the monotony of the wood color in our home. Our trim is the same color as the floor, which is the same color as my dining table, which is the same color of my current cabinets. I thought about white, but when I weighed the pros and cons of white I decided against it.

Are there "rules" for mixing different wood colors and types? My dining table is a distressed red oak table with a bench. Personally I think the lighter hickory cabs would be gorgeous, but I would appreciate your opinions, too.

Comments (6)