Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcaroline12

Your opinion about wood countertops

LCaroline12
10 years ago

Hello, I'm new here and I'd love some honest opinions.

Do you have any experience with wood plank countertops or butcher block tops? Are they very fussy?

I understand that they require some maintenance and they will chip and scratch. I think they are very handsome and I love the imperfections, so I would be perfectly fine with wear and tear. I'm really just wondering if I would have to constantly strive to make sure there is no moisture on them? I have two kids and I'm sure liquid will sit on them at some point. Just looking for advice from people who have experience. I'd love your thoughts, thanks!

Comments (9)

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

They've been using butcherblock for 100s of years.
    Butcher = blood & goo = liquid on the counter.
    They chop on these things with cleavers.
    It's as fussy as you make it.

Edited to add:
    I made my own 16' butcher block out of maple. Haven't sealed it yet, but will probably mineral oil it. Might put some vinegar on it first to give it a more aged look. I do everything on it.

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 13:25

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

Our oak BB from Ikea, finished with Waterlox is holding up great. There are scratches if you bend down and let the light hit it. I would definitely do it again:) So far water isn't an issue, but I don't know that we've left any large amt on it for a long period.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

LCaroline12:

I would avoid an undermount sink with a wood top unless you are meticulous with wiping and oiling.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I have had oiled John Boos hard rock maple in this house and my previous house on the island. Really like it a lot. It's like having a huge cutting board!

The only stain I was not able to remove with baking soda and salt and lemon juice or vinegar was sharpie marker. For that I just lightly sanded it out and re-oiled. We had it with kids and it has been very easy to deal with. I am not super fussy, but do towel dry it after I wash it.

• springroz
    10 years ago

I have plank black walnut on my perimeter counters. It has been in full use about 18 months, and I really like it. I have an undermount farm sink, and so far, no problem. I am NOT a fussy housekeeper, so I have some rings and stains, but it is not difficult.

The counter is sealed with Osmo Polyx oil, and I think I have put 4 coats on in the 18 months. When it starts to have dry looking areas, I use a fine sanding block, and add a coat. It dries in about 12 hours.

Nancy

• dawn_t
    10 years ago

IKEA Numerar oak (butcherblock), finished with Waterlox, undermount sink, they're about 5yrs old now...
    A few minor scratches noticeable when the light hits right. I see a spot near the faucet that could use another coat or 2 of Waterlox (only used 5 coats when I finished them - should have done more)

I use cutting boards and trivets for hot dishes, the same as I do for the laminate counter, other than that the wood is not babied...

Really like the wood :)

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I was worried about water, so I'm doing quartz either side of the sink and using a counter depth sink. I know my strengths and housekeeping is not among them plus Waterlox is super hard/impossible to get in my area. I think other people have had very good success with wood and sinks, especially using Waterlox to finish the wood beforehand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butcherblock and sink

• Lorenza5064
    10 years ago

Springroz, I am considering black walnut for kitchen countertops. I am curious about what stains the walnut and how you address those issues. Was your countertop treated by your fabricator with the Osmo Polyx finish or did you do it yourself? Have not heard of that product, must do some research. Definitely want a finish I can renew myself via mineral oil or something like it. Photos? Who sourced your tops? Grazie!

• Lorenza5064
    10 years ago

Springroz, I am considering black walnut for kitchen countertops. I am curious about what stains the walnut and how you address those issues. Was your countertop treated by your fabricator with the Osmo Polyx finish or did you do it yourself? Have not heard of that product, must do some research. Definitely want a finish I can renew myself via mineral oil or something like it. Photos? Who sourced your tops? Grazie!