Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird adaptation

Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 15:11

We are renting an apartment with an IKEA kitchen. The handles hinged like bail pulls or recessed pulls but are surface mounted. (They are stainless rectangles that lay flat against the cabinets).

There must be something about them we don't like, because both of us open the doors without touching the handles, but by pulling on the lower edge of the cabinet. You have to use them for the drawers but I have even found myself looking at the drawers trying to figure out how else to open them.

I don't know why, because we have other furniture with recessed or bail pull handles--but independently we both seem to avoid touching the ones we don't have to on the cabinets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird adaptation

Is there a question?

Are there boogers or chewing gum under them?

But you're right, that's odd.

o

Are they uncomfortable in your hand?

Our old handles were a ORB like finish. I think that finish looks dirty even if I know it clean. I hated touching them.

Can you post a photo?

This post was edited by debrak_2008 on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 16:32

o

Not uncomfortable, a bit awkward on uppers, not so much on the lowers. But no more awkward than opening the cabinet by the edge. I just found it odd that we are both doing it but never said anything to each other. I have a new computer and can't find my install disc for the camera so I can't post any pictures.

o

I inherited ugly handles on the drawers in my previous house. The trim on the silverware drawer got pulled off twice while we were there!! They were site-built cabinets that were about 25 years old when we moved in. I never figured out why nobody could use the handle....

Nancy

o

Maybe you just need something with more...pizazz?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here