Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcward89

Ceiling transition issue...

dcward89
10 years ago

We have removed the walls between our lr/dr and our kitchen. The ceiling in the kitchen was completely torn out. Our lr/dr ceiling is going to be about 1/2 inch - 1 inch lower than the finished ceiling in the kitchen. When we started this demo I wanted a smooth transition...same ceiling height, same texture all the way through all 3 rooms. My contractor is suggesting an easy inexpensive way to fix this is to put up a fake beam between the rooms and then both ceilings are finished separately and butt into the beam. I am not totally against this idea but I'm wondering if anyone here has pics of something similar you had to do. I have a hard time visualizing sometimes and I must not be using the correct search terms on houzz because I couldn't find any examples.

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

dcward89:

I would shim the kitchen ceiling joists down to the lr/dr height and level it before drywall. This will eliminate the need for the fake beam, make a smooth transition between the rooms, and your cabinet installer will love you especially if you're installing frameless cabinets to the kitchen ceiling.