Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frameless cabinet specs please (gaps between each drawer)

Posted by illinigirl (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 15:10

how tight can I expect my custom cabinet maker to get the gaps between the drawers (top to bottom and side to side)? I have a meeting tomorrow and when I ask about their specs I'd like to have a frame of reference.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frameless cabinet specs please (gaps between each drawer)

Mine are pretty tight. I don't really have stacks next to each other, but between cabinets (one door back to the next door back) looks like about 1/4 in, maybe less? The drawers are all very tight top to bottom, definitely less than 1/4 in, more like 1/8 or less in most places. They gaps look wider in pictures from the front because of the edge profile, but looking from the side not much space at all.

o

Thickness of a nickel should be just about perfect...have been using that trick for years, much easier then trying to measure 2MM (or a light 3/32") via tape measure!

There is no real standard that I know of, the higher end European brands are pretty much right at 2MM...American brands tend to be closer to 1/8"...of course that is based on my personal experience

I would suggest keeping a slightly larger gap between the bottom of the counter and the top of any doors/drawer fronts

o

I have 1/8" in each direction. It looks like 1/4" from the front because of the bevel at the face of the drawers, but pull the drawers out and measure and it's 1/8" on the nose.

o

I'm used to 1/16" per edge making 1/8 between doors, drawers both side to side and top to bottom. Bottom edges flush, top edges 1/4.
Nickel sounds good if making em.

o

We're in the process of getting "adjusted" now that cabinets are installed...we are about 1/8". Truth be told, that narrow of a gap is making me a little nervous...I keep thinking that they are going to hit one another.

o

More important than a particular thickness of a space is consistency.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here