Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noellabelle

another happy lowe's subway backsplash

noellabelle
13 years ago

My dh and I did this side over the weekend. I did all the layout, tiling, and grouting, and he manned the wet saw for cuts. I think it turned out so much better than I thought it would. Not that I didn't like the tile, but I wasn't in love yet....but I couldn't find anything I liked better, except arabesque that was too much more to justify (getting budget weary here!)

We're hopefully getting our range installed tomorrow, and hopefully we'll finish the things left this month. We started in August, so we are really ready for this to stop taking all our free time!

Comments (24)

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Great job! Isn't that so satisfying? I just finished a whole bathroom including tiled niches... took me a whole week of nearly full days... but I'm pretty proud of myself now. As you should be! It's beautiful. Have you chosen a wall color yet? I like the greyer blues....

• herbflavor
    13 years ago

great space-like the slightly darker colour of the grout. you have a lot of good storage there.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

That looks great! You said you started in August, of course the first thought through my head was "August of what year?" That's how slow things go around here!

Tile is such an instant gratification type of thing, isn't it? It just makes such a change and usually for the better! Great Job!

• jcasola5
    13 years ago

Great job! Countertop also looks great. Is that Carerra marble?

• ironcook
    13 years ago

your kitchen looks great! i can only hope mine turns out as nice as yours. your countertop is BEAUTIFUL! great job on the backsplash. (love the blues on the wall, too.) can you tell i like your kitchen? :)

• nini804
    13 years ago

Wow...good for you!! That looks incredible! You should feel so proud of yourself.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

That looks really good. What size is the sink? It looks like 24", maybe. Does the Pilar hit the drain with the head docked?

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Your subways look so nice, you did a great job. I like your wall paint choices with what you have done. The blues always look so cool and calm. Nice choices.

• mbw1
    13 years ago

We are at about the same stage!! Your's looks beautiful!

We started our total DIY kitchen at the end of August and tiled Subway tiles last weekend!! Ours are not white. Grouting this weekend a few odd and end and we are done!!!

Can't wait not to have my kitchen full of tools all the time!!

• noellabelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

staceyneil - that's awesome you did a whole bathroom! I did our bathroom floor a few years ago. I'm thinking sw sea salt for the walls...it's a aqua/grayish/blue color. Either that or rainwashed, which is slightly darker/greener.

beekeeperswife - I know, it's not that long in the big picture! But I think I'm really starting to drive my dh nuts; he's a do it and finish it kind of fellow, and I know my big paint splashes on the wall are probably not sitting well with him!

Johnny - My granite is white valley, but I've also seen it called river white. I love the look of marble, and I think it somewhat resembles it too. Thanks!

iron cook - thanks so much! We're doing this on a fairly small budget (hopefully under $10k), so I always am questioning on what to scrimp and where to splurge!

writersblock - yep, I think the sink is just about that size, which I know isn't large by standards here, but since we painted our existing cabinets, we pretty much had to go with the same size. The faucet hits in front of the drain, but it doesn't really bother me. The sink is deeper than my last (I think it's 9"), and if you just let it hang slightly, then it's right in the drain. I think a grid helps too, since the water just drains down anyway. I really love that faucet!

crafterbeth - you'll have to post pics! Congrats on being so close. Our next step is to get our new range installed. We figured since it's gas and free standing, that it would be hard to tile with it in place, and we couldn't tile until we got our counters, and so on....it seems like there's so many steps that are contingent on other parts of the process!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Thanks, noellabelle!

• cindaintx
    13 years ago

What a lovely kitchen you have. Great job on the backsplash.
    Your granite is beautiful, and just what I want to find. As you must know, the white ones are hard to find. Thanks for sharing the photos.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

That looks great! My backsplash will be DIY and I will be thrilled if it comes out looking as good.

• babs711
    13 years ago

That looks wonderful! What is your granite? It's really pretty!

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

lovely tile job... the subway tile makes everything 'pop'... beautiful job.

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

It looks *beautiful*! I can't imagine a more perfect backsplash.
    Can I make one comment? I can not help but notice your color swatches of paint on your wall. I just went through the same process to pick out a perfect blue to go with my soon-to-be-delivered white cabs. I even painted the walls once nd then re-primed because the color was not "just right".
    Before you decide- if you have time-,try a little tester of Martha Stewarts "Salt Glaze"sold at Home Depot. It looks beautiful with white cabs and SS appliances! It looks beautiful in every light in my kitchen!

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

This looks so great! I love your colors and think you did a fantastic job on your tile work --- want to tackle mine??

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Kudos! Looks like a pro's work.

• noellabelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love that the total cost of tile for this project was around $60. It feels fancier than that to me. I used premixed grout and adhesive, which is more, but it really made the job easier and I figured I could justify that costing a little extra.

The granite is valley white (I think it's the same or similar to white spring or white river as well....they like to make it confusing with the names!) I had my mind made up that I was going to get jet mist, but I couldn't stop coming back to this slab. Also, dh's only kitchen request for the whole remodel was that the stone be polished, not honed, and I think I personally prefer the darker granite honed and the lighter polished.

Blondie, I just looked at that color, and it seems quite similar to sea salt. I tend to stick with sherwin williams, bc my mil retired from there and we get a 40% discount.

katsma & my3sons - you can do it!

Here's a better swatch of the paint I think we're going with (sw sea salt), and then here's the craigslist beauty that's replacing my old range....they're installing it tomorrow! woo hoo!!!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Score on the CL range!!! I love DIY budget renos :)

• Fori
    13 years ago

Really nice! All your choices (starting with the cabinets which are a wonderful classic style) are looking great.

And while your old range is a charmer, I agree the new one will go a bit better. :)

• pacific_flights
    13 years ago

You kitchen is gorgeous. Especially the granite. I absolutely love it! Can you tell me what your grout color is?

• noellabelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I used vintage white ready to use grout from Lowes. At first, I wasn't sure I made the right choice, but now that it's done I think it goes well.

• worldmom
    13 years ago

That looks awesome, and I'm glad to see others using this tile. :o) We sprung for pricier 2x6 handmade tiles for the kitchen since we have very little backsplash, but we used the same Lowes subways in our powder room, and I think they look great.

My good friend is rehabbing her period home just up the street, and she plans to use them, too.

Here's our powder room:

From Last Import

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH