Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mercerm_gw

Corian Countertop -Show your pics!

MercerM
10 years ago

Hi, I'm considering installing a corian countertop in my kitchen. But I'd love to see photos of actual installations before I decide. I'm most interested in Corian's "Private Collection" colors, generally the colors that have more of a marble pattern.

Here's a link to the colors in the collection:
http://www.dupont.com/products-and-services/construction-materials/surface-design-materials/brands/corian-solid-surfaces/products/corian-all-colors.html

I'm interested in seeing any and all colors in this collection, but especially the whites, beiges, and browns. Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (72)

• MercerM
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tflores2, What a beautiful kitchen! Thanks for sharing your pics. I'd love to see more pics of your kitchen.

Love your light fixtures too! I'm actually looking for something similar for over my island. Would you be willing to share the brand and style name/number? Thanks!

I'm guessing your countertop has a matte or satin finish. Is that right? I'm trying to decide what finish to get on my countertop.

Ah, California! Warm weather! I'm in the Northeast - more snow expected tomorrow.

• deedles
    10 years ago

I've had my Wilsonart solid surface for almost 2 weeks now and I really am liking it. Mine is a white with teeny speckss of (I think) brown and blue but they are so small and subtle that it's hard to tell the actual colors. I like the drain grooves that I couldn't get in the quartz, too. It's quiet and since it's white it really brightens up the kitchen amazingly.

• Tanya Flores
    10 years ago

MercerM, the light fixtures are the Sonneman Zylinder line. The company is on backorder with most distributors until end of this month. We were able to purchase a chandelier with 6 lights and 5 lights. My husband dismantled one fixture to make the pendants over the island.

Here's another picture of my kitchen in the daylight during renovation and before the light install. The backsplash isn't done so I'll post a "finished" image later.

• MercerM
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tflores, thanks for the lighting info. Your kitchen is beautiful - can't wait to see the "finished" image with the backsplash!

deedles, would love to see a pic of your countertop and how it looks in your kitchen.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Okay a couple shots of 8+ year old Maui.

Mr. Kitchen's Counter.

Most used counter area. :)

Close up of beside the sink.

It has scratches and cuts in it. But I still love the feel of it.

So easy to clean.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

terri_pacnw:

Corian is easily refinished. With a little practice and a cheap random orbital sander, even a homeowner can do it. You can't hardly screw it up.

• MercerM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

terri_pacnw. your Maui countetops look great! Hard to believe they're 8 years old. thanks for sharing. Love that color.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

MercerM -- you're not a shill. It's coming back. While some are still stuck in a granite time warp (my opinion!--which I'm entitled to before someone jumps on me), many of us have moved on and have discovered Corian for the first time after simply dismissing it before. I too am pleased to have left my granite counters behind in my last house. Corian seems to be durable, functional and beautiful. I do love the quartz surfaces as well, but I like the feel of solid surface, the integrated sinks and other aspects of the product's functionality.

Agree w/above poster--most people have these images in their minds of someone's house they were in back in 1990 and really don't know what Corian looks like today or how it can look different than what they remember as part of a modern installation. Thanks to Houzz and GW people are seeing the possibilities.

I really like that White Rain color above

And I can't wait to see my Glacier White Corian counters installed in a few weeks time as part of my comtemporary whole house remodel that is finally getting kicked off after a year of planning since we bought.

Will have to post photos when done.

We are the leading edge here. NKBA desinger surveys show that granite still leads, but the number of solid surface counters specified by Designers increased 20% last year. And you are right, tons of the cool stuff I've seen is from Europe. Not terribly shocking that they are showing the way in high-end design, as usual.

Re fabricators--I chose Home Depot. I shopped it (not extensively) but the the smaller local home store was 15% more money and the local countertop store was 30%+ more expensive. The expensive Vaso sink I picked is 25% more money with these guys.

I think fabrication times will be a lot longer because their local contractor is so busy, but worth it to me. $84/sq ft sounds to me like a price point you could shave 30% off of during a Home Depot 10% sale. See if your contractor knows someone local he has a good connection with too.

• MercerM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gorgeous contemporary guest bathroom using Corian Tumbleweed. Clean lines, "zen" feeling.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/guest-bath-in-ben-lomond-ca-contemporary-powder-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~274703-Bath-in-Ben-Lomond--CA-contemporary-powder-room-san-francisco

Guest Bath in Ben Lomond, CA

• MercerM
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • dcward89
    9 years ago

A week from Thursday I will update this thread with pics of our new Corian countertops! I CANNOT WAIT to get it installed!!!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

I'm still confused about the Corian cuts with an inside corner. Mnzinnia's corner is clearly cut on the diagonal with perpendical graining. That is exactly what I strongly prefer but the info by Corian Trebucket posted states the corner should be rounded and the edges butt jointed, if I'm understanding correctly. Please help!!! I'm certainly confused. Also, my counter edge is limited to a straight 0.5" thickness, with no build-up, due to height problems coming in under a soffit. Also, I was told that no solid decking goes beneath. Is this true?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Texasgal47:

Mnzinna's picture is of a properly fabricated mitered seam in Corian with "movement" or "grain". This is not how Corian without "grain" is fabricated, however. In that case, the pieces would butt.

Solid underlayment voids the Corian warranty because it traps heat. Strip underlayment is recommended. It can be plywood, MDF, steel, aluminum, or the Corian can be set directly on the cabinets with no underlayment.

• MercerM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good info on seams and seaming of veined/marble patterned corian with illustrations and photos of different ways fabricators can join seams or edges.

http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/assets/products-and-services/construction-materials/assets/Solid%20Surface/K-26828%20Corian%20Veined%20Aesthetics.pdf

• schorert
    9 years ago

I gotta say, I never loved my corian countertop, but it held up really well for 14 years. it really looked the same the day I ripped it out as the day I put it in.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, thanks for taking the time to provide professional information. MercerM, after posting the question, I stumbled upon Dupont's Corian Veined Aesthetics reference file which was so well written that it cleared up much of my confusion. If the installer gives me any grief about doing the diagonal seam, I'm going to show them the photo of your lovely corner.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Texasgal -- check out this video. I think it really explains what you are looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Install of Private Collection colors

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Trebuchet--referencing your comments above "solid underlayment voids the warranty."

I had the fabricator out to my job site on Monday. We have a 12" island overhang. I was expecting that he would say we needed to re-inforce with metal rods. Instead he said "with Corian we can do a 12-inch overhang on 1/2inch-3/4inch plywood, won't be a problem." Maybe be will build up to a total of 1.5" by putting wood strips/mdf on top of the plywood to allow for space? He did indicate he will use the strips everywhere else. Does this sound right to you?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

ChrisInSD:

I would use full length steel as underlayment.

Plywood or MDF would have to obey the 1/3 - 2/3 rule to cantilever and if it did it would then be full underlayment.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

I'm a bit confused...Is the the plywood underlayment suggested by the fabricator correct, or incorrect? Don't quite follow your comment on the "rules" you mentioned.

Also, I thought the 10 year residential warranty covered both product and installation by a certified fabricator. I mean, how can the warranty be voided by "improper installation"--the homeowner has no way of knowing whether or not the certified fabricator is following correct methods or not...?

Thanks!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I said I would update this thread when our counters were installed and today was the day. I could not be more happy with them...

If you have any questions or any additional shots you'd like to see just let me know. There are some additional photos on this thread...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0612541825204.html?1

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Looks awesome! I love the short backsplash.

Is it coved? How many inches did you do? Did you only do this on the non-sink walls? I had thought about doing coved only about 2" or so and then tiling above it, but decided against it...

• MercerM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing, dcward89. I love your countertop! And it looks beautiful with your cabinets. Also like the pulls/handles on your cabs.

Would love to see it with your backsplash. Hope you'll keep us posted.

Best of luck and hope you're enjoying it!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

ChrisinSD...it is a 2" backsplash, not coved. The 2" backsplash was a compromise,,,my DH wanted a coved 4" backsplash, I wanted no backsplash, just tile down to the counter. We compromised with 2" and he was not willing to come off the pocket for the $40/linear foot they wanted to do the cove so it is set on with a tiny caulk joint. I will be doing a backsplash tile still but haven't fully decided on it yet.

MercerM...I will definitely post again when we get the backsplash in. I am absolutely enjoying them this evening. I have done nothing else since they left but stand in the kitchen and look around, run my hands over them, take pictures, wipe them down...love them!!!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Dcward89, thanks for showing your new Witch Hazel Corian counters. They're really, really wonderful and the 2" backspash doesn't look bad at all. No wonder you're in 7th heaven! Your fabricators/installers obviously knew what they were doing. Are they an independent or contractor for Home Depot?
    By the way, you Barker cherry cabinets are stunning, as well -- great choices.

• MercerM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dcward89. I haven't forgotten your beautiful counters. I'm sure you're still enjoying them - maybe even moreso now?!

How's the progress on your backsplash? No rush - but I'd love to see what you chose.

Thanks!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Good Morning MercerM...funny you should post this today. I finally picked a backsplash (love, love, love it!). The tile is installed and 90% of it is grouted but we ran out of grout and had to order another box of it. Anyway, it came yesterday and my DH is finishing up the grout today...WOOHOO!!! I'll try to post finished pics this weeked but here's a teaser pic...it's not the best pic and doesn't show the colors off that great but it gives you an idea anyway...crackled glass and slate.

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Posting this in two places in hopes of getting help.

Still vacillating- please help! Here it is almost November, I paid HD nearly 3 months ago for my countertops, and the fabricator has had my Franke sink for nearly two months. I love the witch hazel, ordered a large sample, and saw a large sheet at a nearby distributor, although it was in a warehouse with poor lighting and set vertically. I love the translucency of it - just not sure how it will look in my kitchen. With Ben Moore Powell Buff (yellow beige) throughout most of my house (open floor plan), that color must stay. I can paint the kitchen walls a soft white to complement the countertop. But, what I failed to mention is that my cabinets are natural maple. I would love to have them painted a soft white, but I hate to do that to 6 yr old cabinets - afraid it may affect resale, and I doubt we'll be here more than 5 yrs. I don't want a dark gel stain. This is a townhome, and the only window in my kitchen is in the eating area. It is large, but I always work with lights on in my work area, so I must have light countertops and fairly light cabinets. I've also considered cameo white Corian (soft white), as there are many photos on houzz of natural maple with white countertops, often white Corian. I had bright white laminate in a previous home 20 yrs, then off white for 14 yrs, and I never minded the maintenance.

So I'm torn between the witch hazel with two mitered corners, the cameo (which I like just as well but have concerns that solid white corian may be a turnoff for buyers) and the linen white (white with tan specks) which looks like it has gray undertones.

This is a 55+ community, and I don't think Corian negatively affects resale like it might in some neighborhoods, and I don't like cold stone. However, I'm wondering if white Corian would be a deterrent for buyers, and would witch hazel really give me more of an upscale look and be more attractive to buyers, even if I keep the natural maple? Do you think it would be too elegant for natural maple cabinets?

I have to make a decision this week if I want my countertops for Thanksgiving dinner. Please help! Any and all comments welcome, but please don't tell me to get quartz. It is witch hazel, cameo white or linen. Also, there is a cost differential, and I'm just not sure it is worth it. If everything else were perfect, white or medium toned cabinets, different paint on wall, etc., I'd definitely go for the witch hazel. I'm tired of natural maple with dark gray counter tops! Even with gunstock hardwoods (reddish brown) and stainless appliances, my kitchen is still boring!

Thanks for your input!

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of my kitchen. Thanks.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Go with the Witch Hazel. I've put in solid surface for over twenty years and I'm still waiting for a customer regretting their decision. Hasn't happened.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 20:19

• cubby325
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, Thanks for your response. One question - how is the WH repaired if it cracks? Can it be repaired as easily and as well as the non-directional patterns? Thanks.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

I realized I promised to post finished pics of my counters, but never did. See link below to my other thread from the summer.

We love our Corian counters and highly recommend them to others trying to decide. The kitchen photos are shown on my thread but we also installed the Corian in the wet bar and both bathrooms. It's gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Corian Glacier White

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"...how is the WH repaired if it cracks? Can it be repaired as easily and as well as the non-directional patterns?"

No. The directional solid surfaces are much more difficult to repair than the non-directional.

Properly installed and maintained solid surface is no more likely to crack than stone.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I have a granite picked out, but I have some concerns about it competing with the backsplash I want -- and I'm pretty sure the backsplash is going to win. Thus, I'm considering something PLAIN WHITE or white with just a touch of pattern. And Corian might fit the bill.

Questions:

- I read that Corian comes in sheets 30" wide. So my 40" wide island would have to have a pretty wide seam allllll the way down. True?

- Nothing's been said here about stains. Is that 'cause there's nothing to say?

- I was planning to go with a heated countertop in my island. Corian wouldn't need this? Or would it be impossible anyway?

Thanks, I know I ask a mountain of picky questions, but I learn so much!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

- I read that Corian comes in sheets 30" wide. So my 40" wide island would have to have a pretty wide seam allllll the way down. True?

If you go with PLAIN WHITE, as you put it, it will be an invisible seam, nothing to see or feel.

I believe it is impervious to staining except maybe stains caused by burning. Our Witch Hazel hasn't been stained by red wine, blueberries, strawberries, beets, coffee (which is on my counter every single day), or anything else. Everything just wipes up with no residual stains at all.

- I was planning to go with a heated countertop in my island. Corian wouldn't need this? Or would it be impossible anyway?

No idea about this one.

• oasisowner
    9 years ago

Hmm, my peninsula Corian is 37 in wide and I don't see a seam. Of course, I also can't see a seam in the counter corner even though I know one is there.

Permanent marker, food coloring, and anything else we have gotten on these counters have not left stains.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Mrs Pete--Corian sounds like an nice fit here.

Not true. This is one the signature characteristics of Corian--there are NO visible seams for the non-directional patterns. So if you choose Glacier White (like I did) or another non-Private Collection color (colors that have "movement") slabs of Corian are seamed together with an adhesive made of basically "liquid Corian" and seams are sanded down to become invisible. This makes Corian a great application for large islands and allowed my countertop waterfalls to have no visible seams.

See my post above with links to my white Corian island.

Corian does not stain. The material is non porous so stains do not penetrate the surface. Surface level stains can easily be removed with some elbow grease.

I think the only reason people choose heated countertops are that they are in really cold places and the cold from the ground telegraphs through the foundation and creates icy granite counters. Corian does not do that--it is always warm to the touch and silky smooth.

This post was edited by ChrisInSD on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 14:24

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Building a new home and will have Corian counters. I am putting in Tumbleweed. It has gray and some slightly brown tones. The picture is not of my kitchen but is the display where we bought our cabinets and the counter and the backsplash. The square sample piece is the backsplash I will have, but not the square as shown, it will be 2x6. I chose Corian because ease of maintenance. Also, hubby has always loved the integrated sink. Cabinets will be cherry, cinnamon stain with a mocha glaze.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Not a pic, but interesting link. Corian, which I think is already fire retardent, heads towards fire proof in the skies. I'm sure weight is a big consideration here too--stone would likely be heavier and weight is everything in aircraft design/construction.Dreamliner Corian

• PRO
    Mary Poynter Studio
    9 years ago

I would be interested in seeing any close up photos of the seam in Corian Sea Salt. We want to use this material for an island that is 46" wide, but I have been told to be careful because we may not like the match where it is seamed. Any photos would be a great help. Thanks!

• oasisowner
    9 years ago

Not a close up, but Sea Salt used in the walls of a shower:
    Sea Salt

I am wary of the Martha Stewart Corian. The sample of Acadia I have has a very shiny surface, unlike other Corian Samples. My sample has a lot of scratches that are very visible, again unlike my other Corian Samples - they scratch, but the scratches are not as visible.

• lam702
    9 years ago

I like Corian a lot, we seriously considered it in our remodeled kitchen. The only thing that made me decide against it was that I wanted a dark counter, and was told any scratches in a dark corian would show up as white. I did have a sample piece and found it does scratch and look white. For that reason only, we went with a premium laminate. I took my laminate sample and scratched it quite hard - nothing! That decided me on the laminate. Then I saw Witch hazel, even though I didn't want a light counter, I thought it was so beautiful. If I ever do another kitchen, I would seriously consider it. Even if it scratched, it wouldn't be noticeable in that color and buffs out. No etching worries either. I.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That counter is really fun (the Sea Glass)...what backsplash?

I don't think Corian Sea Salt is the same, however. Sea Salt has a veined Private Collection pattern. Sea Glass has mixed particulate that makes seamless seams easy. See the video I link to which talks about how to do the seams right for these colors.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

crcollins1_gw - Did you post a reveal that I missed? I wanna see! I wanna see!

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

benjesbride - i have not yet. there are still a couple of things undone. i will start a thread and post what i have, tho. maybe you guys can help me figure out a couple things.

• r2d2indy r2d2indy
    9 years ago

Since all Corian lovers are here in this thread along with the people who love to cook and bake:

Is it ok to put cookie sheets, warm bowls, hot coasters etc.? Or does the color fade and become yellow etc esp when using white or beige .

Even though it has been discussed before please enlighten me- thank you!!

• User
    9 years ago

No counter surface should have hot items placed directly on it. Every single surface should be used with cutting boards and trivets. If you want to protect your investment.

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

I never put anything hot directly on my counters, solid surface or otherwise. I think there are very few surfaces that don't experience thermal shock when something that hot is introduced. When I had granite I never sat hot pans on it, and I surely do not do it with my solid surface!