Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

LOL pizza dough - I love Lucy popover style

a2gemini
11 years ago

I decided to make home made pizza dough today for tonight. I went on-line and read a few versions and decided to do a hybrid between my bread maker and proofing in the oven.

Well,,,, I didn't put in enough flour to make a true ball. I put the sticky mess into a pie plate and then put in the oven on proof.... instead of using a bowl since I was using the proof oven feature and needed something oven safe...

The dough started to roll over the edges of the pie plate. Then I tried to separate it into smaller dough balls and everything was covered in sticky dough. - counters, sink, dish cleaners (never use something with a texture!!!) and me!

I added a lot of durum flour to the outside of the dough to stabilize the dough - but maybe I need to run to Whole Paycheck to get some pre made dough for tonight....

So, all of you pizza freaks - anyone have a foolproof recipe to save me from humble pizza pie tonight!

Thanks

Comments (13)

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

To the rescue!

Pizza Crust

Dissolve:
    1 pkg yeast
    1-1/2 c. lukewarm water
    Add:
    4 c. flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 c. oil
    Knead. Press out onto a large cookie sheet. Let rise in pan for 1 hr.
    Add toppings to suit and bake at 425ú for 20 minutes.

My mom's cousin, who was feeding 11 children, shared this recipe with us. No muss, no fuss, very yummy.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds similar to what I used - except I went on the low side of the flour (it said 3.5-4 cups and I used a little over 3.5 cups)- and that caused the issue.

I can try again - thanks!

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I just made pizza dough for the first time. You can proof it right on the counter in a covered bowl. Mine doubled in an hour or so. You can also let it rise slower in the fridge overnight. A slower rise is supposed to develop the flavor better. I divided my dough and the second ball broke out of the plastic wrap overnight! That ball spent four days in the fridge, and the pizza crust was very light.

I asked for some help with getting started on yeast doughs in Cooking and Annie gave me a good tip to rub some olive oil into my hands to keep the dough from sticking.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Yes, LOL, a2!! I love the Lucy imagery. The only pizza dough recipe I use anymore is Jeffrey Steingarten's Perfection Pizza. Alas, it requires at least 3.5 hours to prepare. (A doubling on the counter, or I use the proofing function on my oven, then a rest in the refrigerator.) So did you have to resort to WF?

• cathy725
    11 years ago

We want pictures! Well, we can picture it in our head, but we'd like to see the chaos with your kitchen as a backdrop as we always want to see your kitchen! :)

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks May and Four
    I decided to try what I made - oops - it fell apart as it went on to the pizza stone - I know I should have used the pizza pan but I wanted to use my stone - the stone is about 15-20 years old and I used it a lot before reno.
    I haven't made pizza dough in many years - but stored the stone in the old oven - amazing how much cleaner the bottom of the oven stays when the stone captures the overflows...
    So, now I have a mess of a stone and peel - going to surf for Jeffrey's perfect pizza and how to get pizza sauce and cheese off the stone and peel.
    But it did taste good and DH loved what survived of the crust.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cathy - I wish I had taken pictures - it was a riot and brings back fond memories of I Love Lucy - I didn't know what a popover was when I saw it as a kid and DM and I made popovers many times after that.

Four - you must be making pizza for an army with that recipe - 2 lbs of flour to start the process! I will have to do some math to hone it down.

• Micheline Smith
    11 years ago

This blog had a pizza recipe that I tried with great success the other night- yum!

http://myswellkeptlife.blogspot.ca/2013/02/pizza-pleaseheavy-on-veggies.html

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Farfromhome - thanks!
    The more options the better - I like that it uses a combo of whole wheat and white flour.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

JS's recipe makes a mess of the Kitchenaid if I do a whole recipe -- the dough "walks" up the paddle and into the spring. But I have to deal with that only when all 7 of us are home, which rarely happens. I usually make half or 3/4 (2 or 3 pizzas). I'm glad your surviving pizza was yummy!!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Four- I claimed the pizza dough was defying gravity - ski klister wax defies gravity also - for all of you Nordic skiers - so I am going to the ski store and buying a stiff ski brush. - this should work to remove the burned on mess(after cooking just the stone and residual for about an hour at high temperature) from the pizza stone.

I read ideas to clean the stone - from washing it- no way, it is porous!
    Running it in the self cleaning oven feature - no way - I am not trying this as I remove my racks during self clean!

Then I saw the stiff brush idea and I looked at my skis and they agreed but suggested a new brush without ski wax mixed into the brush!

I plan to try again next week!

• leela4
    11 years ago

a2- As a fellow nordic skier the image of klister on the stone is very telling . . . did you find a good brush??

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lela- not yet but several stores around town to pick from. The skis wanted attention first as the snow is awesome right now!
    I think a Swix heavy metal brush will do the trick- if it is still made - although Toko has a lot of choices and yellow matches my kitchen better than red. LOL