Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aokat15_gw

Almost Finished Pics - long time coming...

aokat15
12 years ago

I'm still waiting to finish up some small details - such as having my potfiller installed - but I thought I'd post my almost finished pics. I've posted some pics along the way, but here is where we're at now. It's been almost 2 years since we purchased our home and we are slowly coming to the end of a long whole house renovation and addition. Gardenweb has been an amazing source for inspiration and guidance - thanks for all of your help along the way. Let me know if you want any info.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

To the right of my refrigerator is an oversized walk-in pantry. There are temporary shelves in there now... someday soon we'll have cabinets and nice shelving and I'll share those pics as well :)

Comments (98)

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Absolutely FABULOUS! I am digging on that ROCK! Woweee!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks so much! home4all - i love bead board ceilings and I love mine more every day - good luck to you on your reno!

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Congratulations : )

• babs711
    12 years ago

Just BEAUTIFUL! You must be so happy! It's a stunner!

• taggie
    12 years ago

aokat15, those pullouts are great! Now where is the other post with more pics? Love looking inside other people's drawers, lol.

e.g., what is in the large drawers in the island? And what does the control panel (is it a control panel?) on the large top drawer control? .... inquiring minds and all...

• katieob
    12 years ago

aokat15~

It looks amazing !!!!!
    You must be so, so thrilled!

I especially love your lighting and your counters. And your fridge.
    Wow.

Enjoy!

Katie

• aokat15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

taggie - the large drawer with the control panel is a Fisher&Paykel single dish drawer. I love having this in the island - we have three little ones 4 and under so it usually contains all baby/kid cups, bottles, etc and we run it more often than the full dishwasher by the main sink. The drawer below this is just a large drawer - right now I have collanders in it, but that may change. To the right of that is the prep sink cabinet and the final pullout on the right is a single trash pullout. I have a double trash pullout (trash&recycling) to the left of my main sink.

• polie
    12 years ago

OP, I've picked myself off the floor after being overwhelmed by the beauty of your kitchen. Stunning.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

The word that comes to mind first is "dreamy". I love how you went with different textures to make everything interesting. Your ceiling is so lovely. Is that glossy paint or semi gloss? I love how the lights bounce off of it....
    Your windows are also wonderful and from what I can see, the style of your kitchen really fits the neighborhood.
    Your counters are also crazy pretty!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I just have to chime in with everyone else and say it's stunning! Congrats on such a gorgeous kitchen!

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

Congratulations! It's just gorgeous. Everything blends so beautifully together. Nothing pops on it's own, just one stunning kitchen.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Congrats on your stunningly gorgeous kitchen
    that manages both to look beautiful
    and to look like a super fun kitchen to cook in!

Everyone else has already mentioned
    the many high points of your kitchen.
    I'll just chime in with love
    for the bead board ceiling and custom vent hood.
    Great lighting choices,
    especially the window trim sconces over your sink area.

(Another BM China White lover here.)

• marthavila
    12 years ago

And yet another chimer here. That is one truly beautiful, well laid out, and smartly organized kitchen you have there. Enjoy!

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

I am so happy you posted! The deep drawers are the best idea for cookie sheets platters and more! Thank you.

I would love to have more information on your floors. They appear to be oak.

• Pintosmom
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning! I'd like to inquire a little more about your cabinets. For comparison, can you tell me a little about where these came in regards to price competitiveness against other lines you considered? I live quite a ways from Ohio, but if he travels, and I can manage his price, I'd like to consider him in my cabinet search. I just don't want to waste a custom cabinet maker's time if it won't fit my budget. Just looking for a little context with regards to price against other cabinet brands. Thanks much

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Wow, I drift away from Gardenweb for a week and almost miss an amazing kitchen!

Love the beautiful marble--which does look like Superwhite/Moon Night. And I love the light in this room, including those windows that go down to the counter level. I also love how the ceiling beadboard is picked up on your hood, and that chandelier is elegant without being fussy.

Besides building you beautiful cabinets, your cabinet maker was very practical. It looks like those dividers in your drawer will slide out for cleaning.

Thanks for sharing...now sit down and make yourself a cup of tea and just enjoy it.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!! Your comments are so generous and it really means so much.

dianalo - the ceiling is painted in oil-based ceiling white paint - I love the sheen!

motherof3sons - If I'm remembering correctly the floors are red oak. We matched what was existing in the house. We refinished the whole house using the stain Early American - hope that helps!

Pintosmom - It's been quite a bit since I shopped around, but if I'm remembering correctly, the cabinets came in well below Showplace, Plain & Fancy, and Crownpoint (10k+ lower); they were slightly less than Shiloh when Shiloh had their 10% off sale - but the Shiloh price did not include a hood or the cabinets between the kitchen and family room (those were part of a design change later in the game). I also spoke with Mullet Cabinetry and they were very comparable to Mullet. I really liked the guy I spoke with at Mullet, but at the end of the day I just really liked what I saw from Mark (we visited his workshop) as well as the pictures of his work. I got his name on this forum from the user: tooskinneejs - I believe you can see her kitchen on here as well. Depending on how far you are I'm sure that will impact the delivery cost, but let me know if you need any more info. Good luck!

• bostonpam
    12 years ago

Wow - a beautiful kitchen. Love, love the counters. Your lights fit the house beautifully. Love the table and chairs too. A very warm and welcoming kitchen. Enjoy.

• lindsay221
    11 years ago

I was just admiring your gorgeous kitchen, aokat15 (definitely one of my inspirations!!). Can you tell me the size of your windows on the sink wall? And how long is that wall? I'm considering getting rid of uppers on that wall and just doing all windows. This may be an odd question, but where do you keep your drinking glasses? I had planned on keeping mine in one of those uppers on the sink wall. This new idea of mine is throwing me for a loop!

• berardmr
    11 years ago

Just lovely. Question - is your lighting hardware all done in polished nickel? I was thinking of sconces of either side of a large window in my kitchen, but was afraid the polished nickel would look like they belonged in the bathroom. Whatever you used, you pulled it off beautifully! I really hope it's polished nickel...! I love the Hudson Valley lighting too.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi berardmr - our lighting is all polished nickel as are our knobs/pulls. Good luck!!

• lydiaf
    11 years ago

I don't have any different superlatives to add: this is a spectacular kitchen. I also echo the comments about your lighting design - wonderful 'period' touches in several different ways and all work together beautifully.

I see that you used Hudson Valley - a favorite of mine. I'd like to know if that lovely chandelier over the dining table is HV as well? I love the simplicity of its colonial New England style.

I'm new ti GW and just starting to surf around - often I get to the point where I forget what post I started with, and where I ended up. Amazing resource.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Aokat...this is such a long shot because I know you may not be on the forum anymore because your beautiful kitchen is done.
    I tried to send an email to you but there wasn't a link :(
    Anyhow by the grace of this awesome website & the chance that you may just blink on ...or if anyone knows how to reach you, I would love to ask you the dimensions of your kitchen. I read that it is 20x12 & 15' for the other area.
    Q's: what is the length of: the range wall, the frig wall, & the sink wall? Also from the island to the pass thru, is that the extra 15 ft?

Oh how I hope you get this msg...

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I want to single out another element that I love: The subtle repetition and variation of line in backsplash, ceiling, range hood, and tile. You keep my eye occupied but not overly busy. It almost becomes texture. A really nice touch!

This is eye candy that invites me back again and again. Thanks!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi 3blackdogs - thanks so much for your compliments on my lighting! I spent a lot of time trying to nail down the different pieces. I love Hudson Valley... many of the fixtures in my house are HV, but the chandelier over my table is actually by Ethan Allen - I believe it was the trumpet style - I loved the NE colonial vibe as well!

Gofigure - so sorry about the email link. The range wall is 20'; the sink wall is 12' and the fridge wall is 11'. The distance from the island (which is out about 11'3" or so) to the serving area is 15'. The passthrough/serving area header is actually hiding a structural beam. Good luck! Reply here if you have any more questions as I'm not sure why the email link didn't work!

Bellsmom - thank you so much for your kind words!! I spent many many countless hours refining our design options as I always wanted to make sure that the elements in our space didn't fight each other and subtly worked together. Early on in my GW reading someone was talking about not having too many "focal points" so I tried really hard to design that way and not have certain elements overshadow others. Thank you!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Aokat !, I can't thank you enough for responding!!! Wow. I am just amazed that you did! I LOVE this website!!

Anyhow. I am a long time lurker on GW. Finally retained an architect. Having big trouble w/layout. My current kitchen is 13 x 18. A wall is shared bent the LR & kit. It has about a 15ft ceiling. I would love to remove it. But it has the range & frig w/most of the cabinetry on it. It is wasted space tho because the wall is so high. Your plan really is gorgeous
    & spoke to me. Maybe I could incorporate some of your ideas. I would love to have most of the appliances against one wall - don't care if I lose cabinets. Will build a walk-in pantry. I am in southern Ca. - can't find any Amish cabinet makers like DW - not at that point yet but thinking ahead.
    Am considering adding more sq fr to make 19 x 18 or more. Very costly (quotes have been at $200-225 sq ft!!! I need to be smart with the design.
    TY so much for your quick response.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

OMG! It is beautiful. You really did a great job with all the selections you have made. Truly looks like a magazine cover.

YOur timing is perfect as I am agonizing over my ligting decisions. I am going with the industrial polished nickel pendants over my island and I am torn about what to put over my breakfast table which has a cherry top and black legs ( which I consider warm)with black chairs. I see that you have a chandelier and it looks great but I cannot figure out what the finish is. Is it also nickel or something else? I worry that a polished nickel chandy will look too "cold" over my table.

• aokat15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, pball2 - the chandelier is made of iron and is in a "weathered black" finish so definitely not too cold for your space! I love that my table fixture is a different finish from the rest of the space... it helps make that space feel like it has it's own design even though it's all open.

gofigure - I'm trying to visualize your current space... maybe you should consider posting your current space and see what people come up with for options on layout that would avoid adding on? I will say that I eliminated a lot of upper cabinets in our original design (through the architect) as I wanted as many windows as possible. I thought with a walk-in pantry and an island that I'd have plenty of storage - and I do... so you may not need to worry about eliminating the tall wall in between the LR and kitchen if you have the pantry and other cabinetry. I know a few other people on here have asked for help on layouts before deciding if they have to add on to get what they want. Home4all6 did that and she is in the process of renovating without adding on - just reconfiguring a lot of her kitchen/dining area. So maybe it's worth exploring the options for not adding on and see if you can get what you want before weighing the cost/benefit of the addition? Good luck!!

Also - this is a longshot, but our Amish cabinetmaker is near Cleveland. However, he has done work out in San Francisco(!) and other places in CA... I think he works with a national builder and has gone all over the country for him. It seems crazy and I'm honestly not sure how all of the logistics work, but you may find amish options available through a little of digging...

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Thank you aokat. I think you are right. I will try and get the layout & pics posted.

I appreciate your insight on losing the cabs if knocking down the wall. I don't like alot of cabinetry. do you know the dimensions of your cabinetry on the range and sink wall?

I will ck Home4all6 too. I envision for my project a blend of your beautiful layout, along w/michelle16's, breezygirl's, and a few others.

TY again so much. I am sure you will hear more fr me :)

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

Simply gorgeous. Just emailed my husband a picture of your transition from kitchen to family room. I like that it's not completely open and that there is a bit of extra counter there. The whole thing is stunning!!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, Kitten. The original plan had that wall much more closed up because there is a support beam there, but I wanted a more open feel so we dressed the beam up with the header and added the cabinetry. It has worked fantastically when having people over for snacks/appetizers and is just a nice transition into the family space. Good luck with your planning!

• berryfarm
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is amazing - it is pretty, but calming. I am jealous of all of your windows! And, I am looking forward to seeing that pantry (which I will be jealous of)! Enjoy!

• sif1971
    10 years ago

Aokat,

Your kitchen is absolutely perfect. I love everything!!! I am in the throes of a full-house reno, including kitchen, and am hoping you could share a bit more info about your kitchen hardware. Are the Gilmore pulls the 3" or 4" pulls? And, are the Aubrey handles the 3 1/2" or 4" handles?

Out of curiousity, how are you finding your Donna Sandra Marble counters? Do they scratch, etch, or stain easily? They are gorgeous.

As is your entire kitchen. So inspiring!

• sif1971
    10 years ago

Aokat,

Your kitchen is absolutely perfect. I love everything!!! I am in the throes of a full-house reno, including kitchen, and am hoping you could share a bit more info about your kitchen hardware. Are the Gilmore pulls the 3" or 4" pulls? And, are the Aubrey handles the 3 1/2" or 4" handles?

Out of curiousity, how are you finding your Donna Sandra Marble counters? Do they scratch, etch, or stain easily? They are gorgeous.

As is your entire kitchen. So inspiring!

• sif1971
    10 years ago

Darn it--forgot one question: are the Gilmore knobs the 1" or 1 1/4" knobs?

Thanks for the info!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, sif! I am out of town but will measure when I get home and let you know!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much again, sif1971, for your very kind words!! I have 4" Gilmore and 4" Aubrey pulls. The knobs are 1 1/4".

I love love love my Donna Sandra tops! I have had no problems with staining and I've only noticed one etch mark after 2.5 years and it's something that probably only I can see as the veining of the tops hides so much. Good luck with your reno!! Hope all goes smoothly!!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

edited to delete duplicate post

This post was edited by aokat15 on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 9:55

• hillarie
    10 years ago

Hi aokat15! I am hoping you get this message!! I think I might buy Donna Sandra marble from Mont Granite in Columbus for my kitchen. I was set on it, but my husband just saw it and is worried about the "sparkle" in the stone. He's not sure if he likes it. I have to give my deposit by tomorrow if I want to keep it on hold. I can no longer see your kitchen photos and I would love so much to see it in a kitchen. If you get a chance, I would love to see what your countertops look like. Do your slabs have any sparkle to them, and if so, does it bother you? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me to help me make this decision!!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Aokat15, I just remembered that it is your kitchen pictures (I think) from which I copied the deep divided drawers on each side of the range. I loves those drawers. Thank you!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi hillarie - sorry that I didn't see this sooner! I LOVE my Donna Sandra tops - they have a few amethyst type spots, but nothing really "sparkly". Do you have a pic of the slab? It's possible that this batch is different. I used to have pics on here... but for some reason the links look broken - I will try to fix. I will say that one of the best things about my tops is that it's hard to tell when they are dirty due to the movement in the stone... you really don't pick up easily on crumbs, spots, etc., which is so great with a husband and three small kids who can make a quite a mess :)

Romy - thanks for your post! I am so glad you love your deep drawer - I still love mine as well! Do you have a reveal thread yet? Just from that little peak I would bet your new space is amazing!!

• aokat15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here are some of the original pics posted:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by aokat15 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 19:51

• TwoBelles
    8 years ago

Yes, please!! Would love to see your kitchen pics!

• july22
    8 years ago

Agree, aokat15, would you post these pics again? We are planning to build a very similar size kitchen and dining area. Would love to see your space if you have a chance. Thank you!!

• turtlehollow
    7 years ago

I too would love to see pics of this kitchen!

• Jennifer Durning
    6 years ago

Question - is the produce drawer big enough? I keep a lot of veggies. What do you do with condiments? and is the top shelf too tall to be functional? I'm 5'3". Thanks.

• Evelyn Rodriguez
    5 years ago

I have to see this kitchen you’re all complimentin!!! Aokat15 pics are not available to see. Can you please post again??

• Buehl
    5 years ago

Evelyn...if you go to her member page and then Activity --> Posts, there are a few threads that have some pictures. (https://www.houzz.com/activities/user/aokat15_gw/posts)

Unfortunately, she doesn't have messaging turned on so you cannot contact her.

• Steph
    2 years ago

Aokat… I read sooo much good comments on your kitchen while my search but somehow all your photos seemed to be no longer there.
    Could you send me those photos please?
    I’m newbie wracking my brain over countertop decision so it will be greatly helpful!!!!!!! :)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling