Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geomeg_gw

Piano-hinged doors on upper corner or blind corner?

geomeg
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've had 2 KD's come up with plans for my tiny kitchen. One was aesthetically very pretty but she used a blind corner in the upper cabinet. The kitchen is a tiny "L" shape.

The other KD came up with a plan that was more symmetrical (2 cabs over the 27"sink base, 2 over the DW) and a piano-hinged corner upper cabinet.

Aesthetically the blind corner plan was nice but how inconvenient would a blind corner be? The door of the upper blind corner was 20" wide and the cabs are 13.5 " deep, so I think it would be a fairly deep blind corner, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately I don't have either plan to post...

Comments (8)

• maryl1
    11 years ago

I think the piano hinged corner would provide easier access to the cabinet space. In a small kitchen, every inch is valuable. You will need to be careful of the handle placement so that they don't bang against each other when opening the hinged doors.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I'm the queen of blind corners. I have one upper and two lowers. I actually have two more, but they are on opposite ends/sides of my peninsula so it's not as bad as I have openings into the entire space.

Only one of the lowers is a true PITA, mostly because of what I keep there: bowls and plastic containers/lids. Every time I look for something in there I think of this board and hear the tsk-tsking. I deal.

The upper blind corner is a non-issue for me. I keep rarely used items in the blind spot. It's much easier to see inside than in a lower. The rest of the cab is open and accessible.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I had an upper blind corner for close to 40 years. I would never recommend it unless the alternatives are just unworkable. I opted for this instead:

and I really like it. To the left is a cabinet with double opening doors.

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

It. Depends on the layout but I often strongly recommend blid walls as a way to provide more REAL accessible shelf space. Have done the math for numerous kitchens to determine that.

It is disheartening to have people screw up their layout because of an emotional attachment to the little space in the corner.

To your question elsewhere about lining up tops and bottoms- generally they should NOT. An extreme effort tO do that is considered a novice/amateur mistake by many.
    Guess it's obvious where I stand :)

• geomeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jacuvall- the KD with the less symmetric look does have more experience... Her plan is abit more expensive although she uses the same cabinet line.

My kitchen is super tiny, 96" by 82",L shape. The fridge on a wall by its own.

• cathy725
    11 years ago

Blind cabinets are cheaper than any alternative that isn't blind (hinged door, lazy susan, etc). I have a blind upper and lower and they are both a PITA as far as I'm concerned and they are gone in the remodel. Having just packed up much of my kitchen to get ready for the reno, I found that there was a bunch of stuff I never used (as in for 9 years) because it was in those blind corners. I have gotten rid of a good bit of it and the things I could have used if I could have gotten to it easily will be in a better access when the new kitchen is in.

Good luck with your kitchen design!!!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I have the same as suzannesl both upper and lower and would have it no other way.