Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plants4

talk to me about laminate -- major budget-induced rollback

plants4
16 years ago

So, soapstone postponed, I think we're in the laminate countertop league. I saw black laminate at a friend's house many years ago and it was stunning (although easily showed cat hair!).

What do I need to know about laminate and what's the easiest way to find out how much it should cost?

Comments (44)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

There was a recent thread about laminates that are soapstone look-alikes...Formica's Basalt Slate, available in matte or honed/textured finish, and Wilsonart's Oiled Soapstone. Each of those companies has some premium finishes and laminates that should be very durable and hide wear. Laminate will cost $1.50-$4/sq ft...just the material. DH installs ours, so I don't know any estimate for the installation, and people get pretty fancy with edge treatments, which are going to cost more.

Of course, there are many more choices if you don't want to emulate the soapstone. The best bet is to find a flooring or other builders' supply store with a good laminate display. Be sure to see both Formica and Wilsonart, and other brands, like Pionite, if you can. They all have different looks to offer.

We got some Formica, some Pionite, and some Wilsonart for our new house. DH was most impressed with the thickness and finish on the Formicas we chose. I have to say, though, that the only Wilsonart we have (his least favorite) wasn't one of their premium ones, so the comparison in the case of Wilsonart was limited.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous soapstone laminate thread

• renomart
    16 years ago

Using laminate is an ideal choice for kitchens and it doesn't hurt the budget. You can still get a great look for much less than stone. Have a look at the link below and you will see a kitchen I designed and built using laminate countertops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laminated countertop kitchen

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

with laminate, be very careful of the seams getting wet. I experienced it as did my sis. They will pop up, giving a warped look. Keep them away from water areas and coffee makers.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I've worked in kitchen with laminate my whole life...Never did I have seams have a problem popping up or having any problems around sinks, coffee makers, whatever.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

fern4 -- FWIW, I was inspired by the soapstone-look laminate thread, so I ordered samples of all of Wilsonart's soapstone laminates. They're wonderful, and I am seriously, seriously considering going that route to handle the kid/tween years and replacing with soapstone when we're a little less messy.

The only thing that has me hesitating is that I don't like the look of seams at the edges that I see on laminate counters with squared edges. Can they do a bullnose or something so that the seam is not visible? Sorry for the ignorance -- I've always had 4X4 tiled countertops before so laminate would be new to me.

• caligirl_cottage
    16 years ago

Although I don't mind the look of laminate too much, and I'm budget constrained too, I really want an undermounted sink, which you can't really do with laminate and have it remain sound. I refuse to have another top mounted sink in my life, so I'm biting the bullet and getting stone coutners.

• sail_away
    16 years ago

Fern, So sorry to hear you won't be getting the soapstone now. Did you ever get the soapstone sample from Sierra Hills? I still haven't heard anything. I've pretty much given up on getting mine. I have said several times that I've been very happy with my laminate countertops and would happily consider them again. The only thing holding me back is my desire for an undermount sink. Otherwise, I think they have to be one of the easiest surfaces to maintain. Mine also have held up well---no seam issues, etc.

Caligirl, Here's a link that might be of interest showing some edges that can be done with laminates. Click on Barcelona, Valencia, or Geneva (actually take a look at all three) to see some examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: laminate edges

• sholt576
    16 years ago

I've had laminate seams pop as well, from water. I don't know why some do and some don't. But overall its a very easy and durable counter top choice.

We went to Lowe's to find out how much lam would be, and maybe I was misunderstanding, but it seemed kind of pricey for the 'budget' alternative. And I agree with the undermount sink thing- I really want one so that precludes laminate for me, although I've heard stories of people who have done it.

I've never had anything other than laminate.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

The undermount sink issue made me do a quick google and I found this link. Anyone know anything about the karran sinks?

Thanks for the edge links.

Woohoo! If those karran sinks pan out, my DH is going to be sooo happy with me for finally saving some $$$ on this remodel. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Undermount sinks designed for laminate

• live_wire_oak
    16 years ago

I don't trust the Karran method. And, it's an acrylic type sink, much like a Corian sink, which I really can't stand because you have to constantly scrub it with Softscrub to look like anything.

Laminate has experienced a lot of price creep lately with the introduction of HD laminates and specialty edges. If you choose those specialty laminates and specialty edges, you're very very close to a budget granite choice. Really. Laminate is only budget friendly in a basic edge in a basic to premium color. I priced a kitchen out for a customer who wanted a Deepstar laminate with the new ogee edge and the Karran sink. It was $500 less than a group A granite. Really.

• renomart
    16 years ago

Great link about undermounts and laminate tops Sarah. The video about the installation made everything clear. I'm going to write an article about this. Thanks!

• plants4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't given up on the soapstone, just feeling like it's going to be out of reach -- for now -- so I might as well start thinking of alternatives. I'm thinking of a solid black so I hope that is a "budget" choice! I'd like to feel like I could take it out later without regrets.

I had a horrible red laminate with metal trim at my last house so I don't have any pleasant memories about this surface! But, it didn't pop up or anything and it had been there for centuries...I mean decades.

As to Sierra Hills, nothing. I will email her right now.

• renomart
    16 years ago

Laminate joins will swell if the joint isn't properly sealed and joined properly at the installation stage.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

We've had our white laminate counters for 12 years now and have had no problems with seams popping.

• jade.d
    16 years ago

I believe that laminate sheeting comes as large as 5 feet by 12 feet, so you might be able to avoid seams.

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

I have a Karran undermounted sink at my lake cabin - got it in April. I decided to take the plunge and try this even though I couldn't find anyone who had one - took the risk and if it fails I'll have to get a different sink. I did select one with a faucet deck so if something goes wrong and I have to replace it, I don't have faucet holes in the rest of my laminate counter.

The contractor who did my kitchen facelift said his counter guy has done quite a few of these and thought it was a good system. Contractor said they do quite a few undermounted sinks with laminate. I'm thinking my lake place is in an area where laminate counters are more the norm than stone - and people have figured out how to get undermounted sinks with laminate.

So far I love the sink. I have Corian at home and like that so I'm okay with Corian-like sink issues. I actually think the Corian sink is easier to clean and keep clean though the Karran cleans up nicely with softscrub too.

The one thing I am careful about is banging things against the edge of the sink. You know how laminate edges chip? It seems like that could happen easily - so far I haven't dinged it up.

Here's a photo:

{{!gwi}}

• renomart
    16 years ago

Hi Gibby,

I am going to write an article about Karran sinks on my kitchen design blog. Do you mind if I use your sink picture in the article?

• raenjapan
    16 years ago

Here are some photos of the granite look counters. Several times when people came into the house they commented how pretty our granite was. We used the bull-nose edge, but the sides had to be straight, which I didn't care for. I can't imagine that it was in the same price range as real granite--I think the whole thing was about $600, but maybe granite is much cheaper than I thought. Anyway, we were always happy with the look and performance of the material.

Here is a link that might be useful: before pic of that kitchen (just for fun)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Lovely, raenjapan. I don't think you could've gotten just your peninsula done in granite for $600.

The estimate I received just for our 4x5 island, with 'A-level' granite was $2300. That included $200 for sink cutout, and a standard, eased edge...No complex templating, scribing, or backsplash necessary. We're not having a granite topped island... ;-D

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Home Depot had stock premade countertops in the Formica Basalt Slate when I was in there last week. I did not price them, though.

I've had laminate countertops all my life and they have held up very nicely. All, that is, except for the Pionite one that I installed just 2-3 years ago. I've been very disappointed in that brand &, although I plan to use laminate again, I won't be using Pionite again.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Ci lantro, we just put Pionite all over our kitchen...What's the problem with yours?

The only problem I've ever had with laminate was with the premade ones from HD swelling from underneath over the dishwasher in the temporary quarters we're living in while we build. If you use those, I'd protect/seal the underside from the steam somehow. Otherwise, they look great and the laminate itself is fine.

• printersdevil
    16 years ago

I decided to stay with laminate, but wanted the wood edges. I know that some don't like them, but I am very pleased with them and the look. My laminate is WilsonArt HD Mesa Gold.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z203/printersdevil72/Front%20Room%20and%20kitchen%20final/DSCN2357.jpg

• nightowlrn
    16 years ago

raenjapan - if you don't mind sharing - where did you get your low profile, counter stools?

thanks in advance ...

• raenjapan
    16 years ago

nightowlrn, The little red ones my sister found at a garage sale and painted, but the taller brown ones I've had for about 8 years. They're Trica brand, but browsing through a couple of websites I can't find them, so I don't know if they're still being made. They're very comfortable and sturdy, though.

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

We put new laminate (Wilsonart HD Deepstar Fossil) in our kitchen in Noember 2006. We're very very happy with it. We paid $900 for 52 square feet of countertops, no way could we have had granite installed for $900. We did the install ourselves and had the countertops pre fabricated to our exact measurements, and it was a breeze. I went through wanting granite, then quartz and then soapstone, but couldn't sell my hubby on the expense of it. I figure in a few years if I get tired of the laminate, I've only put in $900 and I'd have a much easier time convincing my hubby to replace it. If I had spent $4000 on granite, that stuff would be staying til the day I died.

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I wanted the wilsonart HD. I was convinced actually until I saw the prices. $36 sq/ft for Wilsonart, $39 for Silestone and $46 for granite. I went with the silestone (WHICH I GET TOMORROW!!!!).
    Corian was $39 also. (home depot prices)

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

mlraff -- wow you were quoted an unbelievably high price for Wilsonart HD -- I figure ours was about $17 a square foot, we did the install however.

• jessie21
    16 years ago

funny, i think the quotes for silestone and granite were amazingly LOW!! wow.

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

All these prices included installation. I paid $1650 for 42 sqft of silestone. Also the prices for the silestone and granite were group A ofcourse (and plain edges).

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Our HD quoted prices nearer $70-90 for Silestone, $70-100 for granite, and I think it was $25 for the Wilsonart...Nothing in writing, but just from talking to the salesman present on the floor at the time. (I had gone in the look at Silestone, but he was trying to convince me I could have the 'real thing' (granite) for the same price.) This was about 2 years ago when we were getting ready to build.

• tina999
    16 years ago

I have installed formica countertops in 1999.
    Of course it was a while ago, but i remember i paid about $1500 for about 50 sq. f, including installation.
    I have been nothing but pleased with them - virtually no maintenance, put any hot pans and pots on it, no issues. Nothing ever went wrong and they look as good as new.

• sandra12
    16 years ago

We have Wisonart also, just installed 2 months ago. Looks awesome! It was $700.00.
    {{gwi:1590223}}
    {{!gwi}}

• momto4boys
    16 years ago

We were just told $1400 for install the other day at Lowes. That was for the cheapest color option and cheapest edge. I believe our funny angles and our bar helped bring the price up. But, I was very discouraged that it was that high. Especially because we don't have a very big kitchen at all.
    I honestly can't see paying that much for laminate, and probably will hold off on my little kitchen reno till something in a solid surface is in the budget. The Hi-mac we like so well was only $2200. It's worth it to me to wait till we have more funds to get what we REALLY want. Then settling for laminate that won't do a thing for our resale. We're in a cookie cutter subdivision, where many of the newer homes (ours is only 3 yrs old) will have granite. I know it's not going to raise the price of my house to have another surface. But, I'm pretty sure if it came between my house with laminate or another with a nicer solid surface. They'd go with the other.

• Ephma
    16 years ago

We installed Formica Labrador Granite in the honed finish, flat deck with a bullnose edge (basically all the extras you can get) for about $600 in our last house about 4 years ago. Prices have probably gone up a little since then, but I can't imagine by that much. We were quoted a much higher price at Home Depot (they really rip you off wiht installation - same with cabinets or anything else), so we went with a small locally-owned company who did it for much less and gave us very good customer service. I can't remember how many linear feet it was, but probably something like 18. I love laminate, we're going to replace our current countertops with it again in our minor kitchen redo (either going with Formica Basalt Slate or Wilsonart Oiled Soapstone). Had absolute black (granite) countertops in our last rental and absolutely hated them. Personal preference of course, and it's been hashed and rehashed on this forum many times. Oh, and I've never had the seam-popping problem and have lived with laminate all my life, but I see how that could happen.

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

I've seen a lot of wonderful new homes with laminate tops that look like granite. In my opinion, the laminate with beveled edges and slight texture to the top look the most like granite. I've seen both 'plain' looking and the granite wannabe laminates and have found myself fooled from a distance. With the beveled edge, or pencil edge, it has more distinction and believability to be 'real' Vs bull nose on two sides and straight edge on the end counter. I hope this makes sense.

Bevel Edge Laminate Company

How to do a beveled edge laminate counter top

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

rhome--mine has a lot of nicks & scratches and just has not held up as well as all the other laminate countertops that I've inherited in pre-owned homes from the past. But, I should add that the countertop was purchased probably 4 or 5 years before I got around to installing it a couple of years ago. That's a whole nuther story. Suffice to say that I'm talking about a product that was manufactured 7 or so years ago. Anyway, before I decide on a brand to go with, I intend to abuse some samples and see if there is an appreciable difference between them.

As an aside, Nevamar is touting the durablility of their product. Problem is there isn't a lot of variety to choose from in Nevamar.

• amy0406
    16 years ago

raenjapan and sandra12:
    What are the names of your laminate? I am trying to pick out some laminate and it helps sooooo much to have pictures to see. THANKS!

• raenjapan
    16 years ago

amy0406, sorry, I don't remember. It's been 4 years since we installed it, and we don't live in that house anymore, but it was a formica laminate--one of the lightly textured, granite look ones. They probably have more options now than they did when we remodeled that kitchen.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

ranenjapan and amy0406, it looks like Jamocha Granite or possibly Butterum Granite in Etchings finish by Formica. Some of their other 'granites' also look similar. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Formica Etchings finish 'granites'

• hapyfrustrated
    16 years ago

You can go to the Wilsonart web page, pick out samples you like, and they will mail them to you free. These samples are larger than the chips they have in the stores. There are many beautiful options.

I just put the Wilsonart HD in a powder room, laundry room folding table and built in desk top all matching as it is an ensuite. I think you will like it, I am going to choose another color soon, for a bathroom counter top.

We recently remmodeled our kitchen, we paid $69. per linear foot for our Cambria counter tops. Extremely expensive because we have a large kitchen and island area. It is very nice, very pretty, but sometimes I wish I had saved that money and used the wilsonart. Look at the HD samples.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

Cilantro: I saw some of the stock laminate countertops at Home Depot - and had to do a double take. They looked GREAT! Alas, my KD shot it down in flames because of my desire to have undermount sink. If I was willing to give up the UM sink, I would *definitely* have considered those stock countertops!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Based on the samples I received (nice big samples that I ordered from their website for free), I am seriously considering the Wilson Art oiled soapstone for countertops for our family room office/library built-ins.

• raenjapan
    16 years ago

Jamocha. That's it. Thanks!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

No problem, raenjapan...Some people can recognize granites and marble and I can identify laminate! Yikes. WAAAAY too much time spent in front of the ol' laminate racks... ;-D