Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Granite or Quartzite Counter"Super White" is actually a Dolomite?

intelinside1
10 years ago

I went to the yard Super White is actually a Dolomite neither a Quartzite, marble or granite - its sort of in between a granite and marble in strength they said.

What do you think of the look of this Super white with my Espresso cabinets?

Any suggestions for backsplash or other color of counter? Thanks so much

Anyone have recommendations on Dolomite or have they ever tested the actual durability of Dolomite like Super White vs a pure granite or real Quartzite?

Comments (11)

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres a pic of the "Super white" Dolomite

Often it's called a quartzite but the rep at the yard said its "slightly weaker than a quartzite but stronger durability than a marble"

• YuliaO
    10 years ago

I was considering super white (it was sold out otherwise i would get it) and i got a piece that i brought home. Everything stained it, lemon etched it and i could easily scratch it. it looked exactly like yours. I still love it, i think it is like looking at Antarctica from the helicopter (never actually seen it, just my imagination:) )

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Holy cow, a stone dealer actually got the rock type correct with Super White! That's the first time I've heard about anyone getting it right.

Yes, it's dolomitic marble (dolomite that has become a metamorphic rock). It's minimally more acid resistant than marble or limestone. Durability-wise it's the same. Lots more info is in the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: the lowdown on Super White

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks karin for posting truthful info.

Yeah this dealer seemed to know more than other yards. I went to a couple others and saw Super White or similar ones labled as "quartzite" and was told by them that Super White was very strong etc.

From the stone yard I got a Dolamite, Quartzite and Granite sample here are results of a glass/ scratch test:

I tried a scratch test and the "Super white" Dolamite did not pass the Glass test where you try to scratch a glass bottle. The White Macauba Quartzite easily scratched the glass. A third Granite sample also scratched the glass

I then did a scratch test first with a spoon and the Dolamite, Quartzite, granite all passed without getting scratched when I pushed hard on them

The final test I did was with a sharp serrated plier. This could not scratch the quartzite, barely scratched the granite and easily scratched the "super white" Dolomite

I guess the super white is no good

I'll do an acid test later with lemon/ vinegar and stain test with wine.

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One other question:

Does Quartzite seal the same way granite does? Would you use the same product to seal it?

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Nice work on the scratch tests! Your results make sense.

Yes, the same sealer can be used for quartzite and granite. Some quartzites are fairly porous so they'd need more sealing.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

That Super White Slab is gorgeous! I wish I could help but I have not revisited my search for counter tops yet and I am still learning.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Ahhh....Superwhite...my first love. I never tire of seeing a lovely slab of it. STILL wish I could have used it...sigh.

• xc60
    10 years ago

When we picked our Super White slabs the other day the stone company also called it a Dolomite. Maybe they are catching on :)

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Love the look, but I have to prioritize durability in my kitchen. I'm going with the one shown in the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: River White Granite