Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Looks like oak is back

nosoccermom
11 years ago

Just came back from IKEA where several young people were drooling over the NEW Lixtorp medium dark brown OAK kitchen cabinets.

Also, in Europe, a new light oak, Norje:

{{!gwi}}

and Lidingo in gray.

Comments (33)

• deedles
    11 years ago

Everything old is new again!

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

That's why I just have to go with what I love otherwise keeping up with trends would drive me nuts.

I do love white oak though with a clear varnish. I like the cabinets in the second picture, but the grain is slightly busy for me. I prefer QS.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

The great thing about IKEA is you can change out your front panels/drawers/doors for cheap. I really see that as one of the biggest selling points.

How great would it be to be able to totally redo the kitchen DYI in 10 minutes in 5 years in a whole new color scheme for $1500? LOL

• realism
    11 years ago

I find that first photo to be a bit hideous. The grey one is decent though. Is it really oak or just thermofoil over particleboard?

• Linda
    11 years ago

At least it's not "golden oak"!

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Noooooooooo...

Nooooooo O**********kkkkk.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, my mistake for not clarifying. Only the first two pictures posted earlier are oak. I only added the Lidingo to show that it now also comes in gray (It's painted fiberboard).

They are also still/again selling the Tidaholm in light oak in France, Germany, UK (see below).

{{!gwi}}

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

I happen to like oak. I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen with custom oak cabinets.

• springroz
    11 years ago

I LIKE the first medium oak , don't care for the light oak, the gray is OK....

Nancy

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

is the Lidingo grey available in the USA? I thought it was only in Europe! If so, please post where you saw it!

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

Never mind, just re-read your post and see that the second and third are EUropean not just the first.

I really wish they'd bring Tidaholm back in a smooth unfinished state so that we could get the doors painted as we wish! That was a great classic shaker style.

• sandesurf
    11 years ago

I like dark oak! :)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

LOL, I imagine someone sitting in a back office somewhere thinking "Now that everyone thinks its dated, we'll bring it back!"

I love quarter sawn oak.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I don't think it was ever gone, because it has always been offered by multiple cabinet companies. I think it was unpopular in this forum, and the builder oak (orangy -shiny with the cathedral arch upper doors) has negative connotations, because it is often so cheaply installed and is ubiquitous in certain markets.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

Oak can be a beautiful wood. In my house, where the owners went kookoobananas with not only orange builder kitchen, but orange-stained everything else (where they even found someone to sell them this hideous color of stain I don't know), oak is not getting its just desserts.

I always thought Ikea's Nexus yellow brown looked nice and modern, and of course the Nexus brown black, both of which were oak veneer. They also have a whitewashed oak finish on some of their stuff which I'm not in love with. I like pickled finishes but some of their whitewashed stuff veers VERY pink to me and I'm not that much of a child of the 80s!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 20:44

• oceangirl67
    11 years ago

Oak is timeless and can never go out of style as it is a wood species, unlike paint that changes seasonally.

This post was edited by oceangirl67 on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 13:38

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Oceangirl, that one almost made sense! (Except for the "changes changes" error.) You are not trying hard enough to prickle. I give you points for "timeless," but you are going to have to work it more aggressively somehow. Maybe something like "...and we all know that yellow kitchens are now demode, and only fools are painting their kitchens a moth-eaten creamy or buttery tone." Put a little edge on it, girl!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oceangirl's greatest hits

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

Damn. We just put in a natural oak kitchen. I was hoping that oak wouldn't come back for five or ten years. That way it would look nearly new in twelve years.

It's pretty though. The GC said, "I don't know why we don't do more of these."

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

[LOL]
    It's amazing what silly things will engender such heated debate. Oak. Drawers vs. doors. Islands vs. peninsula. Tomay-to vs. tomah-to.

Get this: I like wood cabinets for other people. I wanna paint all the wood in my house if I can't distress the crap out of it and probably paint it. Yes. Paint wood. Maple, oak, cherry, oak, walnut. I'm even tempted to paint my mahogany front door I spent last spring stripping.

[Arrrrrrrghhhhh!]

• Gooster
    11 years ago

Paint is timeless and can never go out of style as it is a covering, unlike stains that change seasonally.

The point is, the material always exists, but the shade, finish and construction are what change. You can go into any housing development and pinpoint when the builder put in the cabinets, stained, painted, or laminate.

My pink pickled oak cabinets from my first house hopefully had their time and won't ever come back. (For the record, I am not not anti-oak).

I also hope the IKEA 2014 collection does not include cream laminate trimmed with oak.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"I also hope the IKEA 2014 collection does not include cream laminate trimmed with oak."

Yes, wouldn't that be funny?

IKEA Europe also still sells their knotty pine cabinets, Fagerland.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I find it interesting that these debates center around wood species and not door style. Door style gets almost completely ignored in these debates and it is more that than actual wook species that indicates the period.

• tallytomatoe
    11 years ago

I'm planning on putting oak cabinets in my new home. The floors in the rest of the house are oak, however, oak on oak in the kitchen is too much. The cabinets will be a " light to medium" oak color. What color/type of wood floor (eng. or solid) would you guys recommend that would look nice with those cabinets?

• Gooster
    11 years ago

palimset: exactly, by "construction" I meant door and frame style. Right now, Shaker is the rage. A few years ago, raised panel cathedral doors were the must haves.

nosoccer: I'm guessing Ikea's proportion of sales of their core styles like the knotty pine rises and falls with the times, and varies by region and country.

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

tallytomatoe, we have oak all over the house - and put brazilian cherry floors in the living room, dining room and hall. Like you, I figured oak floors would be too much.

I love the contrast with the lighter oak. I'm not putting a wood floor in the kitchen, but I'm looking at a quartz countertop that is similar in color to the cherry floor (the kitchen is open to the dining room).

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To Palimpsest:
    Great point. So far, the arches haven't come back. However, it looks like completely flat doors (i.e. no raised panels) may be coming.

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

Angie DIY,

thanks for the laughs!!!!

• annettacm
    11 years ago

I don't mind oak, but a) I grew up in a house with oak trim, oak floors, oak banisters, oak china cabinets, oak kitchen cabinets, oak entertainment center, oak dining table, oak coffee tables.... I'm oaked out... and b) it does depend on the door style. Plus, since oak (when I built my house) was considered standard (i.e. cheapest), I always associate any other wood as an upgrade. But then, I love chrome faucets, so I guess standard is good for me.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Glad you enjoyed it, sprtphntc!

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

when they bring back the dreaded arch. i'll be in style again. :) Too bad mine are semi freshly painted in white. White will be semi out by then! :) I just couldn't get rid of solid maple doors even if I hated the arch. Oh well.

I think that the color is what puts me off. I hate the golden oak. But, the ones above look more in line with something I'd prefer. I actually like the limed oak kitchen. I wouldn't have a problem with the first one either. It's that dreaded golden color....

• cakeforall
    11 years ago

I am almost embarrassed to say this - I like the pickled oak cabinets in my kitchen and my pickled oak woodwork throughout my house! When we bought the house a few years ago, we planned on redoing the kitchen which has a light pinkish tone formica counter, white tile floor an backsplash with faint pink and gray streaks running through it (which I still dislike) and the pickled oak cabinetry. Having friends and family who have redone their kitchens with dark or mid-tone cabinets, I have gained an appreciation for my pickled cabinets. When I see their kitchens, I feel as though they are cave or dungeon like. Even on the brightest days, they have to have all the lights on in the kitchen. My kitchen is light and bright until dusk. I love that about my kitchen! I am now ready to update my kitchen. My cabinets are good quality and in excellent condition. When I mentioned the possibility of painting them (which I got an estimate of about $6000), both contractors somewhat cringed and suggested that I wait and see how they look with a new soapstone countertop, new backsplash, new floor, etc. The one guy took pictures of my kitchen and showed how it would look with the new stuff. It looked great! So I think I am going to buck the trends and keep my cabinets the way they are. I may be unfashionable, but the trade off a a light and bright kitchen will be worth it to me!

• cakeforall
    11 years ago

repost

This post was edited by cakeforall on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 13:13

• cakeforall
    11 years ago

repost

This post was edited by cakeforall on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 13:12