Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atct86

Soapstone Slab Help

Andrew
14 years ago

I am trying to find a Soapstone slab large enough for my kitchen. I need at least 118", or else I need two slabs, which almost doubles the price.

I am going through Sinai Marble in Baltimore, MD. They refered me to a couple regional places to look at slabs; but they are all REAL FAR AWAY.

The look I am going for is like Katieob's kitchen. I have bright white kraftmaid cabinets, stainless appliances, and Natural Heart Pine Floors.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr93/katieob15/DSC_0192.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr93/katieob15/DSC_0194.jpg

However, the only slab that I can find that meets my length requirement of 118" is the following.

http://www.marvamarble.com/BATIMAGE/D00279..jpg

The only two slabs

Comments (11)

• Andrew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1402444}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Atct86

Keep in mind that I don't know much -- the only soapstone I've seen IRL is Holligator's and the slabs we picked out from Creative Soapstone for our own kitchen.

However, is that REALLY soapstone? If you take a look at M Texiera's website, or Dorado soapstone, that slab just doesn't look like the slabs they feature. A few months back someone in CA got a counter she thought was soapstone, and it wasn't -- (forgive me, can't remember her name right now) and it didn't meet her expectations of soapstone -- and her fabricator ended up replacing it. The stone you have a picture of reminds me of her stone.

Hopefully Kevin or Joshua will see this and advise you further.

• amberley
    14 years ago

I live in Baltimore, and after visiting a few yards in MD in the last 2 years, I determined that the granite/marble yards don't know what they are talking about. Seriously. If you want soapstone, you really should consider getting it from someone who specializes in it. I am going with M. Teixiera in Hackensack NJ. There is also Bucks County in PA and Alberene in VA. One benefit as well is that they are both the suppliers and the fabricators. M. Teix is traveling to me.

And agree, that doesn't seem to be soapstone in the last picture- hope Josh chimes it. My templating is scheduled for next week, and the counters should a week after that. I would be more than happy to show you the finished product when it is done if you are in the area. We are getting Python.

• pamela928
    14 years ago

I took the train from Fredericksburg, VA to Hackensack, NJ just to see the M. Teixiera yard. The staff was wonderful--picked me up from my budget motel and took me to the yard, and then took me back to my train. My exact slabs (we measured and drew on them to map the cutouts for the slab's best markings) arrived at a local fabricator, who brought them to me and did the final finishing on site. When you're spending so many thousands of dollars, I really think it's worth the extra effort. Then there are no surprises which so many people experience with their countertops.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

You are in EXCELLENT HANDS with Siani - I would have NO WORRIES with them...
    I know these guys - Reuben is a real GENIUS and has contributed many of his cool
    inventions to our Industry - such as the "Reubenator" and other tools that many
    Fabricators around the world use.

He is a charter member of the Stone Fabricator's Alliance and is a top notch
    Fabricator.

I have seen a number of his completed projects, and you will be very pleased
    with Sinai's Quality and Service. I would have no problems recommending Reuben and
    Sinai Marble to anyone.....

Unfortunately, Reuben's (like mine and everyone else's) "Stone Stretcher" is not
    working right now do to a shortage of parts that are ONLLY produced on the
    Islets of Langerhans - and only ship out - once a year - on February 30th -
    SO - This is why he's having you look for a larger sized slab.....

Anyways - IMHO - YOU ARE REALLY REALLY GOOD HANDS WITH SINAI !!!

HTH

kevin

• penelopejosephine
    14 years ago

Could that slab be Pietra del Cordosso? I live in Oregon and fell in love with the Pietra Del Cordosso. Technically it is a schist from Italy, but the stone yards here lump it with the soapstone. We ended up going with it because I loved the movement in it. The fabricator recommended sealing it (vs. oiling) with the Miracle 511 product I've seen on here. It was installed last week, so I haven't used the kitchen with it yet. The installer did say he has had it in his kitchen and wouldn't change it for anything and that it's worn beautifully. But, if your heart is set on soapstone, this isn't it! Here's a picture of our slab for comparison, and I hope this helps!

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

I agree...doesn't look like soapstone. At all!

• florida_joshua
    14 years ago

The big thing to remember is that when you need to fill a "requirement" you slim your choice of stone down. We had stone in from the Julia quarry that would meet your requirement, but those slabs came and went. Is soapstone out there that is 118" long, maybe, but you have to remember, where is it located and what is shipping going to cost?

You have 2 requirements, one being size, the other being the look. I don't think you will find the two. I would boil it down to can you find soapstone that is as long as you need.

The picture of the soapstone that you found does not look like true soapstone to me. It is actually labeled as Pietra Del Cardoso which is not a true soapstone. It is called Italian soapstone, donÂt know why but the website I have found from the quarry says itÂs good for all kinds of stuff, but no mention of countertops.
    http://www.pietradelcardoso.com/corpo/index.asp?S=0amp;R=1&L=1
    Try looking into a soapstone supplier that sells slabs as well as rips (small slabs). They may be able to find a large slab you like and a small slab to match.

• jcla
    14 years ago

In looking over the Texiera website , I see (in the slide show) a soapstone that looks just like the one the OP was looking at, i.e., .

Don't know if it's a true soapstone (it's shown unoiled), but Texiera appears to have it, and they pretty much deal in soapstone exclusively.

• sergeantcuff
    14 years ago

I had a terrible time finding soapstone in Maryland when I did my kitchen last year. The only people I could find in the area that knew anything about soapstone were Designer Surfaces in Frederick and Petrafab in Baltimore. I got a very good price from Petrafab and am very, very happy with my soapstone. Petrafab doesn't have much of a website (I think it is a very small operation).

• Andrew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So i finally decided to go with two slabs for aorund $3,200. I found the slabs I liked at Avanti Marble in Frederick, MD.

This is what they look like.

{{!gwi}}.

I will have Siani Marble do the Fabrication.

What is a "Stone Stretcher".