Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Cabinet guy can't measure... how to fix this?

deedles
10 years ago

Base cabs are here today. Yippee sort of.

We needed a 38.5" space for the stove which would be 3/16" gap between the stove and cab wall. This was all measured by the cab guy weeks ago.

Now the cabs are here and he made the one on the right narrower than it should have been so what we now will have is a 1" gap on the right side of the stove instead of 3/16". Is this a big deal? That seems like a pretty large gap to me.

Here are the possible solutions that we've come up with:

1. Rebuild the offending cabinet.

2. Have him add a filler piece to the face frame.

3. Leave it and have a gap and extend the counter top past it a bit.

The problem with rebuilding the cabinet: this is using up the 20+ year old white oak wood that we provided for the cabs and it's getting tight already, quantity-wise.

Do you all see a problem in the long run to leave the 1" gap? My stove, which is 29 1/2" deep, does have finished enamel side panels, so seeing unfinished appliance sides isn't a problem. I see cleaning it out to be a pain and I'm afraid I'd see the slop on the sides of the cabinet but not be able to get to it...my hand certainly wouldn't fit very far into a 1" crack.

A filler piece would close the gap but then I'd have a seam and probably two different grain patterns and a wider face frame on the right cabinet which seems like it'd look goofy. The drawer fronts aren't made yet so I suppose he could make those drawer fronts a bit wider to cover the extra face frame fill piece? (nearly full overlay drawers) Is this the best option?

Ugh.

Any thoughts on which way to best resolve this?

Comments (34)

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I'd go half inch filler piece on each side rather than 1 inch on once side for symmetry reasons. I think it will look fine.

• ktj459
    10 years ago

I personally would have him remake it. The gap, even with a counter overhang, would still get dirty and be almost impossible to clean without pulling out the entire stove. The filler isn't a bad idea, if it wouldn't bother you. For me, I know that no one else would notice it, but if it were my own kitchen, I'd notice the asymmetry and be annoyed by it every time I cooked. If you don't think that would bother you, it is definitely the more cost effective and material-saving option. So sorry you are having to deal with making this choice, and hopefully it can be resolved quickly!

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Can you put the filler closer to the corner?

• User
    10 years ago

Scoot the cabinet to the left to the correct point and then put a filler between that cabinet and the other cabinet on the right. A filler hanging out there in the breeze with only one side attached doesn't fare very well if it's bumped during installation of the range. That also takes the focus away from the mistake at the focal point area and moves it to a place that's less likely to be noticed.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Can you add the filler piece on the other side (not the stove side) of the cabinet?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Is it 1" on just the right side? Can you slide your range over so that you 1/2" on each side & extend the countertop a little bit on each side?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, the pic seems to show another separate cab to the right of the cab in question.. but actually that is a whole cab right to the corner. We first thought we could pull it down but then the corner wouldn't line up with the face of the sink cab.

Gaucho's point about splitting the difference with fill pieces on either side is a good point to consider.

I can't move the stove at all, it has to be perfectly centered in that wall. Feels like it's gonna be fill pieces or gaps.

This post was edited by deedles on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 15:34

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Put the filler in however it looks best and forget about it. It will nearly disappear.

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

Better yet, make two equal fillers look planned, have him make them out of solid fluted wood, like a narrow pilaster. Like they put on the sides of fireplace surrounds:

Here is a link that might be useful: example of pilaster look

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Split the difference and put fillers on each side.

If you are worried about grain or stain match, you could either stain them to match the cabinets or color match them to the green color of the range and recess them 1/2" as well, creating a slight reveal around the range.

The slight change in plane will forgive the grain mismatch in stain or, if you paint it, dissociate it from the cabinet face slightly.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Called the cab guy and told him to use fill pieces, splitting the difference to maintain symmetry. He came up with a good idea: he's going to bring the fillers forward about 1/2" so it looks like a deliberate design feature. As I said, my stove is 26+" deep so this should work out well.

Per your observation, LWO, I told him to make sure they were made wide enough (or whichever dimension front to back) to be mounted further back on the cab walls so that we couldn't break them off when we slid the 9000# stove in the hole.

Oy.

Thanks everyone.

• itsallaboutthefood
    10 years ago

It's not really a 1" filler you need...it's 1"-3/16" which is 13/16". Splitting this would be about 6/16 or 3/8" on each side about.

Is it possible to make a 3/8" filler?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, posted right before BBDF and ineffable, but we're all on the same page.

Now I wonder which would look better: recessing them or pulling them forward? Hmmm.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

IAATF: DH is measuring right now to get an exact answer on that....

He's saying 7/8" on each side (we have to move the cab on the left down and thankfully we can do that).

So. Anyone reading this have any thoughts on fillers recessed vs. pulled forward per ineffable's suggestion up above?

(I don't really want to add any fluting or whathaveyou into the kitchen at this point, since nothing is fluted or whatever anywhere else.)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I think the "pulled forward" would look better, but I think it would depend on how much further your range sticks out. If it would stick out a bit beyond the pulled forward pieces, I'd go that route.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Isn't your range cool? Wouldn't it look cooler sticking out than tucked in?

I think I'd like the filler recessed. I think it'll look fine either way.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I said recessed because while you need it, you don't want to emphasize it. Recessing it slightly like a small reveal puts the focus on the Chambers, not the filler.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Thank goodness you're on top of this.
    You're like me in that this tiny detail would never pass me. For the rest of my life I'd be saying, "Yeah, but..."
    Even though you'd be the one and only to see it.

What you're showing, so far, is really, really nice.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

How about the filler at the far right, against the wall?

• Eric Freedman
    10 years ago

See if your cabinet guy can dry fit some filler to see how it looks in the different configurations that you are considering..

BTW - love the sink! :)

Can't wait to see how the whole thing turns out.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jelly: The range sticks out 26 1/2", so 1" past the counter top. Fill pulled out 1/2" would be fine, I think.

fori and ineffable and diy: I'll have him put it on both ways and see how each feels.

ctycdm: that would be the easiest but it won't work because the cab in question goes all the way to the corner and it would screw up the cabs on the other wall. Seems more often than not 1/2" here or there shifts the whole shebang, right?

CEF: Yup. Stuff like that... totally inconsequential visual stuff makes me nuts. For instance, my DH cannot believe how I can pick up on something that isn't. quite. level. and he won't believe me til he puts a level on it.

Well, I told him to get these fill pieces in by Thursday as we want to move the stove this weekend... so... onward and upward!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Good for you for taking a mistake and making it into a design feature. We did the same with two structure problems in our bathroom. People think we did them on purpose for looks. I'm sure you will come up with a good design.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

How about a 3/8" bead molding attached to the faceframe on both sides of the opening? that will close up the gap by 7/8"
    A bead will look smarter than a thin piece of filler strip.
    Casey

• User
    10 years ago

Hate to be the party pooper, but if your tile is centered on the wall, and the range is supposed to be centered under the tile, than 1" or so offset may be noticeable. That's why I recommended putting it to the right. Looking at the layout, I don't see that as an issue to pull the cabinet 1" and add the filler to that side.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

How do either of these choice--recessed or pulled forward, effect the counters? Perhaps that will help answer the question.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sombruel: not sure what you mean by bead molding? How would I find an example of that?

rnmomof2 (if your name means registered nurse mom of two, me too!) I don't think either approach will be a problem with the counter. Recessed certainly wouldn't be and if it ends up pulled forward, it would only be 1/2" or so.

LWO: are you saying to pull the cabinet to the right of the stove 1" towards the stove? If so, we can't do that because that cabinet goes all the way to the wall and the corner relief is built into it. If we pulled it over, the 3" corner relief would be out of plane to the face of the sink wall cabs around the corner. This guy builds everything he can as one unit, rather than separate base cabs, e.g. my sink base and pull-out trash base is one cabinet, etc. Unless I'm not understanding what you are trying to get across to me?

The range will be absolutely centered under the tile, we're going to have to move the left cab down to create the same gap as the right and then fill them equally. That's really all we can do. Thank goodness we have a little wiggle room with the left cab!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like Casey's idea for beaded molding for a more finished and intentional look.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I don't build cabinets (or anything), so I may be completely silly here, but--why can't he add the filler to the interior of the drawer cabinet? by removing the left side, adding a 1" splice into the cross pieces, or new longer cross pieces (are all the cabinet components made of your oak?), and re-attaching the side?

If the cross pieces were going to be weight-bearing, like shelves, of course that wouldn't work. But for drawers, they serve more as stabilization don't they? The splice on the front pieces would be hidden by the drawer fronts.

Perhaps he has already built the drawers, so he is stuck with the mistake. (if he bought the drawers from another supplier then he should eat the cost of fixing them) But, could it be done?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

snookums: I looked at beaded molding and rather than add another detail element what I told him was to use the same ogee bit on the fill pieces as he's using on the doors and drawers. That should tie it in nicely and keep the detail consistent. He's making them as I type so it's a done deal. Fingers crossed it looks good.

raee: it could be done but see above :)

• kompy
    10 years ago

Deedles, that is exactly what I was going to recommend to. Good solution....you'll never notice it!
    Kompy

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kompy, if you call it good, it'll be good! Thanks!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Right, however it's done will have to keep the range centered and that may mean different width fillers if you can't move things.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The beaded does pick up the lines of the hood and range. Don't know your cabinets. Please post a closeup when solved!

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi palimpsest, we are able to move the cab on the left, thankfully.
    and Snookums, I will definitely post a pic. Big girl is moving to her new home this weekend and I told DH if she's operational by Sunday, I'll make him some chicken enchiladas and a pie. That usually works, lol.