Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Depth of open cabinet shelves should be?

Posted by quiltgirl (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 14:49

I will be having open shelves ceiling to countertop. My regular uppers will be 15" deep but I want the open shelves less. I will have a French plate rack on one of the shelves. Shelf on stove side is 27" wide and will have plate rack, serving bowls, cook books etc. The other unit is across the room from it and is 36" wide and will hold coffee cups, pretty depression glass jars for baking stuff, bowls, cookbooks we etc. My question is: If you have open cabinets or shelves, what works for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Depth of open cabinet shelves should be?

I have had 9 inches and it worked for me. This about the width of a standard hardbound book. If the shelf is strong enough yo can also put a 10 or 11in plate on it. Some people also do 12 inches.

o

An inspiration pix. Love the look of open shelves. How deep?

o

For coffee cups, 4" for a single row, 9" for a double row. For serving bowls and mixing bowls, it depends on the bowl. Could be 15" would be needed for that. You need to measure what you want them to hold.

o

Ours are 11" bc we wanted to store dinner plates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here