Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loucie_gw

does anyone have a 10' island? pictures?

loucie
14 years ago

Our plans call for a 10' island. I was very excited at first, now I'm wondering if it is overkill. Would love your imput.

Comments (27)

• jeri
    14 years ago

Lucky You! :-)

According to Christopher Peacock: "The perfect size is 8 or 9 feet by 4 feet, and it should be located between 42 and 54 inches from the countertops on the perimeter of the kitchen. To me, an island should be a prep area free of appliances like ranges and sinks."

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

It will be beautiful.Poppycock to Peacock.

Here are some giant islands ....
    ~boxerpups

Hirschfields files worldpress kitchen magic

Earthwise

Baron Building Co.

AU kitchens designer of the year

Niagra Vouice Kitchens

Atlanta Kitchen Cabinets

Peter Cohenchef Giada De Laurentiis kitchen

Ice cream and boys blog

Crown Point Cabs

Peacock (not sure if this is CP but it was a google
    image so maybe)

Cotedetexas soapstone counters

• jeri
    14 years ago

Poppycock to Peacock

LOL - I actually posted that to support the OP  whatÂs 12 more inches? However, I donÂt think Peacock likes them wider than 48" because you canÂt reach the middle to clean. As for having stuff on them  as we know from this forum  that is a very personal decision. :-)

As always - Love the pics BP!

• sue_b
    14 years ago

Mine is almost 11 feet and I'm happy with it. We had a good reason...to add a whole wall of windows. I like how it gives guests a place to be when everyone gravitates to the kitchen when we have people over. But even when I'm working in there alone it's great to have space and light and still have a work triangle.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I do, I do. I love mine, not in mynew home yet but soon....

{{!gwi}}

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

poppycock to peacock rocks!~

Sue B love the kitch!

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

It depends on the flow and functionality of the entire kitchen. Are there appliances, etc., that you will need to access frequently during your work in the kitchen and with respect to which the island will function as a barrier? Or, are all of the necessary items and equipment readily accessible without interference from the island? I have a 9 1/2' island, but the kitchen has two work triangles and I don't need to traverse the island during meal prep, as an example. (Mine is 5 1/2' wide and I have no problem wiping it down either, BTW.)

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

I wish I had that much space... but my friend does and hers is outstanding. I think it's even longer, like 11'. Here's what I would check into: can you get a single slab of your desired countertop in that length? (My friend did and would not have made her counter that long if she had to have a seam.)

Some people don't mind seams but it's something to consider.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

just when i think boxerpups couldn't possibly have anymore pics! but come on, is that ALL?

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Our island is 10'2'' long (not including the breakfront cabinet at the end) and 3'10'' deep.

Our cooktop is in our island and we really enjoy the open floor plan.

Neither our kitchen nor our home is huge and the island doesn't feel big to us at all. I really like it.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

My kitchen is set up like cali wendy's with a long island with a diamond-shaped work space-fridge and oven on the long axis and sink and cooktop on the short one. When you stand in the center of the diamond-almost everything is within two steps.

• katieob
    14 years ago

Ours is around 8 feet by 5 feet of just work space with 45 inches to sink run & 48 inches to range run. I pushed for as big as possible & when the kitchen was going in, I panicked. It looked like a monster & I thought I overdid it. Fast forward to being in the house 8 weeks-Love it. Go for it.

{{gwi:1402445}}

• malhgold
    14 years ago

Mine is about 9 1/2'. I freaked out to that it was going to be too long, but once it was installed, I was fine. If you post a layout we might be able to give you some better answers based on your specific space.

• mythreesonsnc
    14 years ago

Love all of the great pictures! So glad you asked this question! Our plan has a 10'x 54" island. I think it will be great, but so happy to hear people livin' it and lovin' it!

I have been checking about granite,and that seems virtually impossible at that length. I am thinking about making a walnut top instead. But....if I ever came across some granite long enough (especially one as beautiful as Redroze has in her kitchen), I'd buy it tomorrow!

Thanks for a great post!

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Not sure if this counts or not . . . the main part of our island is approximately 8' x 4'. The little table at the end (the grandchildren's table) extends another 2' beyond, so altogether it's 10'.

Our last house had a fairly small island and we always said the only thing we'd change about that kitchen was to have a larger island. When we first installed this one it looked absurdly huge, but when everything was in place, it looked fine. And we absolutely love the utility of it.

• cotehele
    14 years ago

I use the island more than any other counter space in the kitchen. I think it is 113'' x 40''. (Don't remember if it is that or 110'')

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Boxerpups you rock! That first kitchen is dreamy cool with the fireplace in the corner......

We used to have a 10' island planned but based on the size of the slab and the fact that I didn't want a seam, we reduced it down to 9'. We now have an extra 6" on each end for moving around. I had no qualms about putting in the 10'....a large work/play surface seemed like a great idea sicne I had the space in the middle of the room.

Post your layout!

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Our finished slab is 10'2'' and there is no seam! I was limited in what was available at our local stone yard, but they did have some pieces that were large enough.

It was something I never would have picked without my size constraints, but I ended up loving it! Sometimes a little risk pays off, says the planner of all planners!

• eastcoastmom
    14 years ago

Mine is 11 feet long by 5 feet - all one slab! I think it took 7 or 8 guys to bring that thing in and install. We have a long wall of appliances on the range side and two work triangles so no issues with the island blocking and the primary work triangle is very tight, which I like. There is enough room for a full sized prep sink, bar stools and room to put out large buffets for entertaining. I was pretty nervous about it at first, especially since I wasn't told about the probable need for a seam with something that size, but it all worked out fine and I really like it.

• country_smile
    14 years ago

eastcoastmom- quite the beautiful workspace you have there - I can just picture a full-blown cookie baking party with 6 of my good friends!

The other islands are also gorgeous - plenty of room to stretch out and cook or bake up a storm.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Mine is 9 and half feet. My soapstone is one solid piece with out a seam which was very hard to find. Scroll down to see the island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Soapstone Island

• loucie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you all so much! i was getting concerned, but after seeing all the beautiful HUGE islands have made me feel better. love all of the kitchens; so pretty!

i will try and get my kitchen layout posted. it might take me a minute (or day) to figure out how to do that:-)

• loucie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Attached is my kitchen layout. It is not final yet. I'm switching the prep sink and the big sink, i think i'm going to have a 36" range and hide a convection/microwave. The architect said you will not feel like you are having to walk around the island when you come in from the garage, he said there is enough room... What do you think? Suggestions, opinions? I don't have a cabinet layout yet...

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen layout

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I do not like the idea of the mudroom so far away from the door and kitchen! That mudroom is not designed properly. I think it should open into the garage. Also this forces you to walk in from garage and in front of the sink every time, unless you will yourself to walk around the stool side of island. I like the big island though.
    As for the architect, don't let them tellyou what you want, YOU tell them, they will make gorgeous paper plans that are not functional. You have to think like you live in it. I don't think I would want my mudroom other than with direct access to garage!

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I would also eliminate the hallway, wasted space. I would put the pantry in the very back and have a nice giant mudroom with seperate powder area. You will hate having that bumpout into the garage. Imagine trying to get into that car!

I would also move the garage door entrace. Maybe make the door way equal to the back of fridge wall/existing pantry wall and then reaarrange fridge placement. Just a thought.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

You might want to post your layout in a new thread asking for help. You'll get many more layout related responses that way.

• Doris Hastings
    5 years ago
    Have a huge island...love it!