Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmahaston_gw

Wall to Wall cabinets or 12 inch counter top?

Carmahaston
10 years ago

HI, we are building a new kitchen and I'm wondering how everyone feels about a 12 inch deep counter. Anyone have this and find it useless or usefull? We have a wall that can either be full top and bottom cabinets (food storage) or lowers with a 12 inch deep countertop. Would love your thoughts. Attached is a drawing of our kitchen. The stovetop faces out to the greatroom just to give you some perspective.The red area is where I'm debating the counter vs cabinet..on that wall will be double oven.

Comments (8)

• Carmahaston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More info: The original idea was to use the countertop next to the stovetop to set things on but it's a bit of a reach I think.....

• judeNY_gw
    10 years ago

I have a similar run of cabinets but 1/2 the size - 5'. I went with the 12" counter and a 15" high backsplash rather than the 18" elsewhere in the kitchen; there's not any prep going on there and it makes the upper cabs more accessible.

I like it a lot. It's necessary for putting things down temporarily when putting in or taking out of the cabinet. I didn't have plans for how I would use the space, except for a small TV.

Turns out I never put the TV there but other things now live there permanently. Mixer, bowl for fruit, decorative 1950's vintage hammered aluminum ice bucket that I use, laptop and phone charging. The backsplash is the same wood as the cabinets.

If I had your space I would do a combo of open counter and upper cab to the counter.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

What about a hutch like this with flanking pantries? (images 3 and 4)

Here is a link that might be useful: example for 12

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Would counter space become a clutter magnet? Would it drive you nuts if it was? If so, put electrical outlets in one of these cabinets, as a charging station.

I have floor to ceiling cabinets 12" deep. True, I have a lot of stuff in there - but 15" would be tons better! Still shallow enough to be able to see and reach what's in there, but 25% more storage.

Because of aisle widths, perhaps 12" deep on the ends, floor to ceiling, and 15" in the middle with a counter. I would put drawers under the counter - let's face it, everyone has a junk drawer. Or maybe it's worth sacrificing 3" of aisle.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Hi!
    I noticed in your plan that you were cutting into the rear wall behind the ovens to accommodate the depth. Can you not do that for a 24" counter beside it with 12" overheads?

You would still have your other narrow cabinets for easy access and gain landing space for the ovens.

• Carmahaston
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. No we can't cut into the wall in any other spot. There is plumbing and a sub panel in there that cant' be moved. The area we are putting the oven is already cut out so we are good there. I like the hutch idea. So I am hearing that a 12 inch counter top is not useless...I think that's the way to go.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    10 years ago

I was thinking of the hutch idea as well. Put a pantry height at the opposite end from the oven and use the space between like a hutch. If you're into wine you could make this a wine bar or coffee area. As I thought about my own kitchen I realized I designed it with a landing area next to the oven and we NEVER use it like that LOL. We always open the oven and carry the hot stuff over to next to the sink or set on the cooktop for some reason. I guess it's just the natural traffic flow of the kitchen. So now the section next to my wall ovens is the beverage area when we have gatherings.
    I also like the idea someone mentioned for a laptop or charging area. You could hide some outlets up under the upper cabinets or do a couple of those pop up electrical outlets.

This post was edited by bocron on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 13:02

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath