Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milesbella

Kitchen Remodel

milesbella
10 years ago

I posted on Monday about trying to figure out a flooring option for two slobbering bulldogs. Several recommended the wood-look porcelain planks and after much research, we've found one we love. We've decided to do the tile floor throughout our entire main living area (minus bedrooms).
I've put together this "look" and would be curious what everyone thinks. We have oak cabinets similar to these (and they're in VERY good shape - can't imagine adding the expense to replace). We will be adding knobs and pulls to spice them up a bit.

The porcelain flooring is by Sant'agostino in Aspen Cherry and it blends well with our existing trim.

We went to see the Quartz in person and our previous pick was way too busy. We've decided on the Cambria Edinburough instead. I would love to see what others think would be a good choice for a backsplash. I had originally intended on subway tiles in a solid color (but that's when we were looking at the busy countertop).

We're repainting the entire main floor living space. Will do samples of Anew Gray and Mega Greige from Sherwin Williams and choose from there.

We've already ordered stainless steel appliances and those will be arriving soon.

I'm still torn on the sink. It's between the black granite composite and stainless steel. Would appreciate your opinions, especially after seeing our other choices. After looking at LOTS of photos, I'm leaning toward the undermount stainless steel (specifically the Kraus double bowl).

Have appreciated everyone's thoughts and opinions thus far - this is such a great resource!

Comments (20)

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I like your materials individually, but I would be worried about:

1. wood overload (floors and cabinets fighting)
    2. very dark colours (walls, floors, counters, and cabinets)

If it was my space I'd paint the cabinets light/white (at least the uppers), as well as the walls - then bring in the wood-look floors and any counters you like.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Agreed with feisty, all are nice but together my gut reaction was too dark. Do you have lots of good natural light in your kitchen? That would factor in, too.

• milesbella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The main level is open concept with full windows on the entire southside of the house (double sliders in the dining room which leads to the kitchen) and double picture windows in the family room. I thought the paint choice would keep it light (especially the anew gray) but will revisit.

I definitely do not want to paint the cupboards and can't afford to replace them. I don't mind the oak (I know a lot of people do).

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

I like the cabinets and I like the floor, but the woods seem to clash color-wise.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Since they are not actually your cabinets its hard to tell. All oak is not the same.

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

If you haven't already, make sure you get a sample of the flooring and view in your kitchen next to your cabinets and view at various times of the day and night. I tend to agree that your choices together are too dark. Flooring is very tricky to choose, esp. if you have an open floorplan and need to consider other areas of your home and furniture.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Make sure to install an uncoupling membrane between your sub floor and your tile. Two bucks a foot is really cheap insurance against repeated tile/grout failure. If your tile contractor disagrees or doesn't know what it is, he isn't your man. Google Ditra for more information.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Valinsv is spot on! I was amazed at how colors changed in our house from morning to afternoon, sunny day to cloudy, daylight vs artificial (that one wasn't a surprise, but perhaps more dramatic than I expected).

I also agree with the others that the whole is too dark. I like the cabinets - I just put in new oak cabs! But if yours are really that dark, I would really look for a lighter floor, no matter how much sunlight you have - especially with such a dark countertop.

Good luck!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I think you should re-think the floor if you don't want to alter the cabinets. Nothing wrong with oak cabinets - though yours have quite a traditional look that may not play well with a modern look.

What about pickled/driftwood wood-like porcelain (very light/grey but with 'grain')? That would lighten up the space and create a distinctly different look than the oak cabs.

The grey paint colours you have shown will appear very dark on a wall, IMHO.

• milesbella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, here are some photos from our actual kitchen. It's dusk here so not a lot of natural light coming through. The walls are currently wine colored - will be repainting in a light gray.

• milesbella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More cabinets - microwave will be getting replaced with stainless steel.

• milesbella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floor sample against existing oak trim.

• milesbella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floor sample against the actual cabinets.

• milesbella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floor sample in the bathroom, against the existing trim. We will be having the floor throughout the entire first level (minus bedrooms).

• milesbella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whoops - posted two of the same photos. This is the floor sample in front of the trim in the kitchen.

• milesbella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the same tile but in the natural color. It looks more like barn wood and I'm not sure that's the look we would want in our entire main living area. Again, the walls would be painted a light gray.

• milesbella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, last post (I promise). These are the other samples I brought home. I originally didn't like them as well (thought I should go dark) but now that someone above mentioned a lighter floor with the cabinets, maybe this would work better? In the showroom, they had planks laid out, using two colors on the same floor. Maybe using both of these, mixed together, would look better? Disregard the wall color - but compare the trim and the floor samples.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Either one of those is much better with your trim. The lightest looks really pretty.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I'm bucking the trend.
    I like them all.
    Your cabinets are very neutral and IMHO, will work with other woods.
    I hate to do this to you, but I actually think with the gray or greige walls, you might actually need some dark spots or splashes of color. It's all very "one color" to me. ,
    Individually, I love all your materials.

This didn't help one stinkin' bit, did it?

• crl_
    10 years ago

I like the floor you like with your cabinets. But I would then pick a light countertop.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH