Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Can I see your built in or cabinet depth refrigerators?

Can I take a look at your built in refrigerators? Would like to see how you have them fitted on the sides (did you do pullouts on either side? How wide?). Particularly interested to see if anyone has a refrigerator at an end run of cabinets with a wall on one side.

Did anyone go from a large capacity standard sized fridge to a cabinet depth? How bad was the loss of capacity? Did you feel the pinch? (We currently have an LG SXS that has about 25.6 sq. ft. capacity, including 9.6 sq. ft. of freezer and I'm nervous about going down to a cabinet depth model, but I also don't want to take up an acre of my limited wall space with fridge.)

Comments (58)

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

We went from a full size Kenmore elite - top freezer to a JA CD -
    - Like others have said - I love the configuration, the fact that much less food is thrown away - I can see everything - it's quiet, has water inside door, makes great ice - I really enjoy it

I guess i would echo that I notice the loss of space in freezer more than refrig -

Not a great shot but....
    Just make sure if you do this they install it properly, measure properly - I've seen some poor installs w/the black sides sticking out

good luck

• Christine Decker
    16 years ago

I have a 48" cab overlay built in kitchenaid. I absolutely LOVE the look but am not so happy with the water/ice feature in door (Is splattery and has to be cleaned more often than I like.
    My previous stainless 42" Maytag had a much better water/ice feature in door. But because it is so lovely and larger I don't think I would trade back! Cabs are SO much easier to wipe down than keeping that stainless clean!

• jt562
    16 years ago

We went from a standard sized 36" to a built in/counter depth 42". I love how the space is more usable in the fridge. The freezer is smaller though (as it sounds like is the norm!)

We are still a 'work in progress' but the fridge is in and against a wall, so I thought I would share ;-)

One thing that I hadn't thought of when we chose this size is how much more walk room there is in front of the fridge. It was a pleasant surprise.

HTH!
    JoAnn

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, JoAnn. How much space do you have on the side against the wall? How well does the door open on that side? Do you know if your cabinet box is 42" wide, or is it wider (would you mind measuring for me? :-))

BTW -- what brand is that?

• jt562
    16 years ago

The side against the wall is just a 3/4" wide panel.

The door opens ALMOST 100%...we made sure that we could easily access everything when it is open (something that we were surprised most side-by-sides could not do was open the interior drawers unless the main door opened 100%)

We did remove the baseboard & put it right up against the wall (we will put some in front of the paneling eventually, lol!) ...if it had baseboard in prior to install, I bet the door would open 100%....but we were tight on room & DH REALLY loved this fridge.

The measurement from outside the fridge panels from end-to-end is 43 1/4". Inside cabinet dimensions are 42". There are adjustment screws underneath that make the outside trim close in around the fridge when it is installed.

FYI the height is 83 1/2".

It is a Kitchenaid Architect II ~ SS French door.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jt -- you're AWESOME. This is exactly what I needed to know! Thanks so much. And pictures, too. Love this forum.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

If you want more freezer space, you can get the Thermador columns and get a larger freezer one. We considered getting a 24/24" pair so they would match the cabinet that had already been ordered to go above it, and we would have done that if we had decided to get panels.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've looked at the freedom columns -- they're wonderful but very pricey. I fear they may be out of our reach.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Here you are:

It's a cabinet depth jenn air.
    Casey

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

Bump

I would love to see more pictures of people with their counter depth fridge. We are having some issues with the cabinet that was built for our GE Monogram cabinet depth fridge. When the fridge is recessed into the cabinet, it's nice and flush and LOOKS awesome, except for the small problem we can't open the doors to the fridge unless the fridge is out about and inch or two past the cabinet. Which would be fine except then the fridge is too close to the island. So....I think our cabinet maker is having to rebuild our cabinet (of course the fridge is flanked with cabinets on both sides and the cabinets have already been sprayed) so it's not quite as deep.

So those with cabinet depth fridges, does your fridge stick out just a little bit beyond the fridge cabinet itself?

• cpang74
    16 years ago

I have a counter depth Kenmore Elite trio...I love it-but I did keep my old full size wide by side (remember those) Maytag in the garage-and I use it A LOT and I have a small deep freeze in the basement storage room that is also clear full. I too am a Costco shopper. I love the look of my counter depth-but glad I have other storage someplace else too!

• zelmar
    16 years ago

pdxgal, the door of our fridge sticks out past the cabinet. The cabinet is slightly deeper than 24" and the fridge is pulled a bit forward in it--this was done so that the overhang on the counter would butt into the fridge cabinet. In the first picture, our wall steps back where the pantry is, so the fridge cabinet actually looks deeper than cd. The second picture shows it in line with a run of cabinets.

{{gwi:1574534}} {{gwi:1582125}}

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

Zelmar - Thanks! Those are great photos. I have a feeling that is how ours will end up looking (hopefully). It looks nice. I don't mind it sticking out a little bit beyond the cabinet, but the way our cabinet is right now, is that the fridge cabinet is already 2" deeper than the two cabinets on either side, so if I pull the fridge out beyond the fridge cabinet it will be in the walkway. They are going to make the fridge cabinet be flush with the other cabinets on either side and and then the fridge will be in the same spot it is now, except that I can open the doors!

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

Wow.

I'm surprised how many people here have SxS fridges with no apparent "drop zone" to the left or directly behind the user. (i.e. carrying food out around the door)

Would you do it differently if you could? If that fridge broke today, would you buy another SxS or switch to one with a left-hinge? (and bottom freezer of course, since we theoretically open the fridge 14x more often than the freezer)

• zelmar
    16 years ago

c9pilot, You can't see it in my pictures, but there is a peninsula (with upper hutch) just across from my fridge. There's also some counter on the other side of the hutch. It works well as a drop zone.

Our sxs replaced a top fridge/bottom freezer. I'm probably in the minority but I much prefer the sxs.

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

• bethesdamom2008
    16 years ago

zelmar

What model is your fridge? It looks like the kitchenaid I am considering.

• zelmar
    16 years ago

bethesdamom2008, it's an Electrolux, purchased 3 years ago. We've been very happy with it.

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

What is the drop zone? I have a feeling that's what I'm missing and why I can't open the doors on my refrigerator.

Cross your fingers that they are up at the house fixing the cabinet right now ant that it will look good when all is said and done.

• zelmar
    16 years ago

The drop zone is just a counter area easily accessible as you are standing at the fridge for placing items as you take stuff out or put stuff in or to temporarily place items from the front of a fridge shelf so that you can get to the items in the back. This counter space should be on the side of your fridge away from the hinges so that you don't have the door blocking your access. Often the drop zone is across from the sxs fridge since the doors would block both sides (but the doors are half the width so not quite so hard to reach around.)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I tend to think the emphasis on the "drop zone" for the refrigerator is a bit over rated. In our last house, we had our refrigerator in the middle of a bank of tall cabinets, flanked by pantry and wall ovens. Our drop zone there was our peninsula across a 4' wide walkway that cut through the kitchen. No problems.

In our new/old house, the refrigerator didn't fit in the locale that was supposed to house it (the cabinets are designed around very small apartment-sized appliances that are difficult to come by) so it's sitting where a breakfast table would normally go -- off by its lonesome. Now, this is not an ideal refrigerator location, I agree, but it doesn't cause any hardship, either. Go to fridge, get items, drop them off on peninsula next to sink.

• c9pilot
    16 years ago

I became VERY aware of "drop zone" issues in the last house we rented (2-year military move to SF Bay area - no way would we/could we buy there).
    It was a right-hinged top-freezer model. To the left of the fridge was a big pantry and the door to the dining room. To the left, behind you, was the drop zone - a 12" wide section of countertop, next to the weakest gas range you've ever experienced, but you still don't want to drop stuff on it. So we'd drop our stuff, close the fridge, pick it all up, then walk all the way across the kitchen to the sink to wash and prep. Just switching the hinges would have made a huge difference in kitchen ops, since there was 5' of counter to the right of the fridge, but it was just such a pain to get around that door.
    If we owned that house, that would be the very first thing we would change. I would have never even thought of a drop zone until that house.
    Current kitchen designed for SxS with a drop zone 3' away, behind, slightly to the right. Since that has turned into my "hot spot" (keys, mail, cell phones, etc), the drop zone has moved a foot over, but it's still no problem.

zelmar - I see it now. Nice set up. We have shaker cabs and dark counters as well.
    (It's the 2nd fridge (the black one) posted on this thread that makes me cringe.)

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

See you learn something new everyday. Okay, so apparently it wasn't the "drop zone" that was giving us grief. I guess my drop zone would immediately in front of the fridge on the island. Like Sarschlos, our fridge is flanked by the wall oven, micro, warming drawer on one side and a pantry on the other.

The good news I did stop by the house this afternoon, and they were able to slide the fridge cabinet out. They are going to shave a few inches off the back, slide it back in so it's flush with the cabinetry on either side and then the fridge will extend an inch or two beyond the cabinet so the door will properly open all the way. Oh, I hope it looks good. I'm ready to be done with this.

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

I find the "drop zone" most important for when you get back from the market... I throw everything up on the penninsula and load into either the fridge or the pantry which is next to the fridge.. I like it a LOT better than my pre-remodel kitchen where I had to set the food on the floor and the produce on the counter - now it all goes on the peninsula and is easy to sort from there.

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1595261}}

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

One thing you might consider if you are moving from full size to counter depth is putting in a small fridge somewhere else. We added a small integrated fridge for beverages/snacks etc in the dining and its worked out great.

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

Here's our CD fridge, surrounded with pantry:

• jtsgranite4us
    16 years ago

We have a 48" GE Monogram built-in. The refridgerator has a piece of trim on each side that fits flush to the cabinets. Doors open fine.

We have pullout shelves on each side of the cabinets that we can use for a "drop zone". We use the left pullout shelf for the drop zone when opening the refridgerator side. We use the right pullout shelf for the drop zone when opening the freezer side. We can also use the peninsula counter as a drop zone which is about 4' from the refridgerator.

Here is a picture:

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

Jtsgranite - You have a beautiful kitchen. A part (deep down inside) can't help that we didn't just go the distance and get the built in GE Monogram especially when I see your picture. But, that's neither here nor there. I have the GE Cabinet Depth sxs model. I think after it gets installed and we move into the house, hopefully it will be one of those things I stop thinking about and can simply enjoy the kitchen.

Mystery - I'm not worried so much about the space issue with this fridge, but we did put the old fridge from when we bought the house out in the garage which will help with extra storage.

These pictures really help everyone. Thank you! The cabinet makers were able to fix the cabinet for the fridge. I went up there last night and they had it reinstalled and now the cabinet is flush with the others on either side of it. Looks nice, not sure who's going to fix the paint? My GC will reinstall the fridge this morning and I hope it all looks good. From what I can tell, my doors are 3" thick and that is exactly how much they will stick out beyond the cabinet (not counting the handles), but should be able to open the full 160 degrees. From the looks of most of your pictures it seems that your door fronts all extend anywhere from 1" - 3" beyond the cabinetry and I think all of your kitchens look wonderful, so hopefully this will too. Thanks for sharing all your pictures.

• theresab1
    16 years ago

here is our built in 48 inch sub zero . I would say our drop zone is the island which is directly in front of the fridge. I love our fridge- the counter depth is fine- and the 48 inch width is great! We have a pantry to one side of the fridge and our micro and shelf to the other side.

• jtsgranite4us
    16 years ago

pdxgal - Thanks for the compliment. I'm sure when your GE is finally properly installed, it will look wonderful. The doors on our built-in model extends 2 1/2" from the cabinet.

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

Okay, so what do you think? Here is a picture of the fridge installed in the new cabinet. The cabinets are all flush with one another and the fridge sticks out 3' beyond. I guess it looks okay. Probably will look better once we take the plastic off. LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance Wall

• zelmar
    16 years ago

pdxgal, the fridge and everything else looks great. Gorgeous kitchen.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

pdxgl - your appliance wall looks great. I am still in the planning stage, but can totally empathize with the issue of built-in vs. counter depth. I am so torn because I really like the look of the built-ins better, but the extra $$ just seems wasteful for me. But as you said, I don't want to regret going the extra mile for what is already an expensive project. More to think about.

I must say, everyone's counter depth's do look fantastic and anything will be an improvement over my full depth, top freezer, textured white refrigerator!!

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

Thanks Zelmar!

Malhgold - I completely understand where you are coming from. I initially choose the counter depth, because my DH was about to have a heart attack at the price of the built ins. Plus, we are redoing an entire house so the $2500+ difference could (has) easily been used in other parts of the house. I was happy with my choice until we ran into a problem with the cabinet and then regretted my choice, because at the time I could justify the extra cost of the built in the grand scheme of things. "If I had just got the built in this never would have happened" is what I kept telling myself. It has since been fixed and will fine, and as soon as we move in I will no longer obsess over every single detail. One thing, I might add is consider how much space you have and where the fridge is. If it's on the end or you have plenty of walk way then I think you'll be fine with a cabinet depth. Part of me still wishes I had got the built in since my fridge is in a prominent place and we don't have a ton of space next to the island, and every few inches would have helped. However, like you said, I remind myself that ANYTHING is better than the 1969 kitchen we bought and for that I am VERY grateful for how my kitchen is coming along.

• jtsgranite4us
    16 years ago

pdxgal - Your cabinets look great. Your refridgerator will be perfect after you remove the plastic. Once you move in and start using and enjoying your beautiful kitchen, all the little issues will no longer be your main focus.

• starfish24
    16 years ago

Beautiful -- and very helpful -- pictures. Trying to decide between 48" built-in Monogram and Sub Zero. To those of you who have compared . . . . Is there a difference in how flush they will end being with cabinets and how accessible the drawers inside will be? Thanks!

• silentdave
    16 years ago

I hate to wander off subject, but theresab1 those cabinets are beautiful. Those are exactly what we are looking for. I've gotta know what they are. What make, style, stain, hardware, type of wood, and anything else? Thanks,
    Dave

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Here is SIL Barrelhaus' narrow subzero right up against the wall. Critical part of problem solving the very tight space.

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

Here's ours - not sure if you want more. It is basically on its own, with nothing on one side and the dw on the other.

HTH

• polie
    16 years ago

Celticmoon, your built-in refrigerator and its custom panels are amazing. What cabinet makers did you use?

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Polie, that is my SIL's kitchen from last spring - a GW design challenge if ever there was one!

Cabinets were custom and local - and shockingly well priced, i.e. less than standard stock. For craftsmen tradition and quality, you gotta love the midwest (despite the 16 inches of snow just dumped today...)

• ni_2006
    15 years ago

bump

• franki1962
    15 years ago

We've got a 36" GE

• kitchenstumpt2
    15 years ago

Now you have all made me lean on this computer and bawl my eyes out. Well...not quite, but I am sick with envy and remorse. :D

Beautiful kitchens are shown by all and you must be terribly thrilled. Let me say that I have a 36" GE Profile that is practically sitting in the pathway, beckoning every purse and bookbag that enters this house. Each day that I sit and sip my coffee, I notice a new ding on this stainless monstrosity.

My cute, perky and dimwitted kd skipped out as soon as the plans were drawn and the appliances were already ordered. (I think she went to Hollywood to apply for "The Bachelor")

DH and I were left to muddle through on our own with the very patient GC. I found you guys too late....I already had about SIX INCHES of the fridge sitting out in everyone's way.

When I FINALLY got the drift of counter depth fridges after coming here, it was way too late. SIGH...I love this forum and I know what to do the next time.

I only hope I'm not too old, feeble and suffering with dementia to find you guys when I'm able to afford an update.

• pdxgal
    15 years ago

Kitchenstumpt - Don't cry. I can feel your pain. I wish I had found this site earlier and would have avoided some mistakes of my own (i.e. there is a reason why everyone gets a separate pull out trash cabinet if you have a farm sink....because your regular trash bin will probably not fit under the farm sink's smaller cabinet base due to the apron front).

When did you get your GE profile? I had a GE service technician out the other day and he said, that if you have had your appliance for less than 30 days and if it gets a scratch or ding they will replace it (or the door?). They don't advertise that, but supposedly if you call and ask he said they will replace it. If you've had it longer than 30 days, the beauty of the cabinet depth fridge over say a true built-in fridge, is that you can get a new one without having to change your cabinetry. Have you considered trying to sell your GE profile on Craig's List and getting a cabinet depth one? The profile line has some nice cabinet depth ones.

• kitchenstumpt2
    15 years ago

Awwww, thanks pdxgal. You're too sweet. I appreciate you for trying to find a solution to this stainless fridge nightmare. :D No, I can't do anything about this fridge at this late date.

This kitchen remodel is just over a year old, but I came here to GW today, to torture myself and to drool.

Nope. I will just have to wait for this fridge to expire on its own, hoping for a noble and quiet demise...unless of course, my sons beat it to death.

• earlygirl44
    15 years ago

Soonermagic - your kithcen is an Oasis... - I've been planning on much different cabinetry , but every time I see a kitchen like yours I want White, White,White . Are they cutom? are the cabinets painted ? Are you happy with them ? Did they come with any concerns, ie the paint will chip ?

We are getting a CD Jenn-Air fridge - can someone sum-up what to watch out for?? :ie cabinet depth , clearance , we don't want it to stick out , thats the whole point!!!, but we still want the dang thing to open all the way !!

• tnshopper
    15 years ago

If my fridge is 70" tall, how high should the nook be (the space between the above fridge cabinet and the floor)? Ours is set at 72" but I was thinking we could make it shorter. How much space is needed for air circulation. What about height differences for a later fridge (should be a while since this is new). Is there a standard height for a cabinet depth fridge? THANKS! Karen

• soonermagic
    15 years ago

EarlyGirl - Thanks for the compliment. The cabinets are painted white (SW Alabaster to be specific). The cabinets were custom built on site. I've had painted cabinets in the past, so was not concerned about chipping. I've had no issues with them so far!

• soupgoddess
    15 years ago

Hi, Mysterymachine. This is a bit off-topic, but those ovens you have are fabulous. Are those Electrolux, or Wolf?

Thanks!

• alice462
    15 years ago

soonermagic -- beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Your kitchen looks like the one in my mind for our remodel -- is that soapstone on your counters? We are looking at antique flooring that looks similar to yours - granary oak? How large is your island? What did you use on top of your island? How tall are your upper cabs?