Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildta_gw

Anyone know where I can purchase this euro-style hood w/ banding?

wildta
10 years ago

Anyone know where I can purchase this euro-style hood with banding?

Comments (18)

• Zivman
    10 years ago

custom made I would bet. I am sure modern aire could make you one

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Vent-a-hood has a very similar shape (under Euro-style), as well, although I preferred the fit and finish of the Modern-Aire. If you need it that high, one of their base designs can be modified with a higher, slanted flue cover. You can get the powdercoat body in whatever color your heart desires, but the stainless rivet trim gets pricey.

• wildta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both! I haven't come across Modern Aire yet. I just found Vent-A-Hood and it looks like they might be a good option for me to look into as well. I just got off the phone with a rep and yes the rivets do get super pricey. They said it *could* double the cost. Yikes! I asked them to price it out separately just to compare.

Besides fit and finish, is there anything else you like with the Modern Aire over the Vent-a-Hood? EDIT: Nevermind. Sounds like MA has a huge following here on GW and is usually always preferred over VaH, more expensive as well though.

Has anyone heard of rangecraft.com?

This post was edited by wildta on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 20:16

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

RangeCraft also makes beautiful hoods, but not inexpensive. I am interested in your post as I am also trying to get a beautiful hood like you posted but within a reasonable price point.

Carol

• Zivman
    10 years ago

I bet you are looking at 7 grand at least on a hood like that. so just be prepared for the quotes.

Prizer is another brand you could consider.

and don't for get make up air

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Yes, brace yourself! Some people also have had their own designs crafted by local metalworkers, using an insert. And I can attest, you are likely looking at something like $4K to $7K for something like that, depending on the size and blower configuration. I was going for something like that until I saw a picture of a much simpler design paired with my range that ended up being only $2300 (via MA).

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Modernaire vote here; range craft way out of my league financially.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

That kitchen is in a house in Sag Harbor done by designer Stephen Gambrel. He uses that style hood a lot and I expect they are custom. Here's another kitchen with the same style hood and if you scroll down there's a close up of the edge.

Modernaire might be the closest with a stock style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stephen Gambrel hood

• wildta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your input thus far.

Just an update, the first quote from VaH is $7700, $6k for hood and $1.7k for vent cover.

• wildta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A rep just recommended Abbaka. I'll have to search Garden Web. Anyone here heard of them?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.abbaka.com/

• ajc71
    10 years ago

Abbaka does fantastic work, just finished a project that had a Abbaka SS with a high gloss finish and it was stunning....big money, but great company to work with

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, I had an Abbaka in my old kitchen. I think it was 6k about 10 yrs ago.

• wildta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just went to a showroom with Abbaka, Modern-Aire and Vent-a-Hood. I liked the turbine fans of the VaH but it only had a low, high and off switch instead of a variable knob like the Abbaka and MA. The lights are controlled the same way. The showroom hood had a total of 4 switches, one for the lights and then 3 for three separate turbine fans. Is this normal for VaH? Do they offer a variable knob?

• wildta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some pics of the hoods from underneath.

First is Modern-Aire.

This has a vent cover. The variable knobs are not recessed like the Abbaka. The lights are recessed but you can still see them just a tad when looking straight on because they aren't tucked upward into the hood--personally I'd prefer the lights and the variable knobs to be hidden completely.

This post was edited by wildta on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 18:13

• wildta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vent-A-Hood pic.

Notice all the switches, no variable knob. You can see the cool looking turbine fan which is super quiet too! Also no vent cover system except that curved sheet of stainless steel which doesn't look as nice IMO but maybe because I'm not used to that look. It's probably a whole lot easier to clean than typical vent covers. The lights are tucked away a bit underneath which I prefer.

This post was edited by wildta on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 12:56

• wildta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the Abbaka.

Variable knobs are recessed.

This post was edited by wildta on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 18:17

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

I just bought a best by broan insert (liner), it is installed but the hole isnt through the wall to outside yet. Its going out through the upper part of my cabinets. When I turn it on, it blows the cabinet door open! It has variable speed control, but the lights are off, low, high. I have the 42" version, but they make a 48"' which has a double blower with even more cfm. It looks most like the MA from underneath. I did not do a ton of research on my venthood, this one fit the bill with cfm, variable speed control, and price. (I think it was about $900 on ebay) It does have an 8" vent, which is larger than most, and I had to order the exterior vent cover online also, box stores dont stock 8" around here, and the vent cover seems really cheap, it doesnt have a screen in it to keep animals out, I will have to add one. But the vent itself seems good, so far at least.

This route you buy the insert and build the hood around it.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Here's my Prizer from down below, I love it!
    ....Can a hood be sexy?