Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Do Your Love Your NonStick Omelet Pan?

rococogurl
13 years ago

If so, would you recommend it?

I'm seeking a nonstick 9 or 10-incher that has excellent heat conductivity, is dish-washer safe, and has a good handle configuration with no wood. For use on gas.

In the past, had a so/so Calphalon which had a coating that disappeared in the DW (had to throw it out). But I know there are tons of new brands.

As a bonus, if anyone can recommend a double omelet pan -- one that interlocks/hinges and flips for frittatas -- that would be much appreciated.

But I'd most appreciate excellent pan recos.

Comments (32)

• kaismom
    13 years ago

I went through multiple nonstick pans including Allclad omelet pans. They peel after a little while. I decided to forget the entire nonstick thing and go with standard stainless steel pans. I was nervous when I made the switch but now I don't miss nonstick. I use SS Allclad that I put in the DW.

In complete agreement with Julia Child, you can't have too much butter. Butter is the trick to eggs that do not stick and taste good!

We make omelets nearly every weekend for our family of 4, as we did this morning! We also make crepes on blue-steel traditional French crepe pans. We make Austrian kaiserschmarrn, which my kids love, on the French crepe pans as often too. We are a family that loves butter and eats plenty of it. We go through about 1 lb of butter per week. This method is probably not for you, but I just wanted to share what we do!

Bon appetit!

• sue36
    13 years ago

I don't believe non-stick pans can go in the dishwasher. The longest lasting non-stick pan I've has was All-Clad. Mine hasn't peeled (its at least 6 years old), but the surface now seems dull. They claim to have a lifetime warranty, but I haven't contacted them about it.

I've never used an omelette pan, I just use a fry pan.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

My only non-stick pan is this 9 1/2" one from Viking, and I do use it in a pinch, but I don't put it in the dishwasher. It's a great piece of cookware, but I try to avoid non-stick.

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

I ditched the non-stick omelet pan for a nice stainless steel one and never looked back. Its all about the butter -- makes the omelet taste better and keeps it from sticking!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

This link says the pan I listed above is dishwasher safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metrokitchen re: Viking

• chesters_house_gw
    13 years ago

I'm not sure if I love them, but I don't have to think about them: what I find at a restaurant supply store (I think I have Vollrath). Sturdy and not expensive. I put them in the dishwasher. I don't remember seeing folding ones.
    This after an All Clad peeled. Even though I bought it at one of their factory sales and I'd replace it at another such sale, I couldn't see why it was worth it. Stainless pans yes, but not nonstick.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I have both Anolon and LeCreuset tri-ply non-stick that work well and I put in the DW. Better than the All-Clad non-stick I've had in the past, and definitely better than the pricey d5 line at Williams-Sonoma.

If you want PTFE-free non-stick, the best line I've found is made by Cuisinart, but it's not compatible with induction.

• vtlakehouse
    13 years ago

I have Calphalon nonstick and used them for about 8 years with no issues but they are always hand-washed. I believe the instructions indicated they should not go in the dishwasher.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

I use a Bialetti nonstick 8" everyday from Costco. Comes in a 2 pack, 8 and 10". I swish with a sponge and put it away damp, on a cardboard cirle which separates my nested frypans. Really like it. Don't know about dishwasher. So easy to swish it out.

• jmcgowan
    13 years ago

I like Bourgeat's pans -- I have a lot of their stainless steel (from the Excellence line) and a few nonstick. Not sure, though, if they are dishwasher safe, I would call about that. But I agree with the previous posters, butter is key.

http://www.culinarycookware.com/bourgeat-non-stick-fry-pan-high-performance.html

Another place you might try is La Cuisine (in Old Town Alexandria, VA) -- Nancy the owner is very good and might share some great tips re: pans. (I am not trying to sell this place, and have no affiliation/interest; the folks there, though are all serious cooks and they carry great equipment.)

http://www.lacuisineus.com/index.php

Good luck!

• dretutz
    13 years ago

I AVOID non-stick pans and use All Clad SS also. The trick is not only butter but getting the pan hot before melting the butter swooshing and adding egg. Melting butter without first heating pan causes eggs to stick.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I think this thread calls for a return to the proper heating of a pan site. :)

This has been a GW favorite for quite some time. :)

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

plog, I was wondering yesterday where this info was, thanks for the link, I'll make sure I don't lose it now.

• sayde
    13 years ago

I have a non stick LeCresuet pan -- it's OK. I prefer the regular All Clad. I can't see that the non-stick is any easier to clean, in fact it is a little more difficult because I am so concerned not to scratch the surface. I think I'm only using it because it just happens to be a convenient size between the All Clad pans that I have.

• lawjedi
    13 years ago

plllog - I just have to say, that was the most interesting site and wonderful video explanation!!! I can't wait to try it. I may just have to switch plans from cereal to eggs today!

;-)

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for taking time to post about your pans. The stores near me have pretty much the same stuff which is often different from what's around in other parts of the country. I am hoping something good and new in the non-stick category -- if there is such a thing -- will be recommended.

warmfridge -- Didn't think of Cuisinart. That type of nonstick is what I'd want.

jmcgowan -- Will look at Bourgeat. Know the name but not the stuff. And will look at that website to see what they sell. I think a friend of mine lives in that town.

chesters house -- Forgot about Vollrath. Will check that out.

kitchendetective -- Viking send me a small pan when I bought my stuff because the hood was defective. I don't understand their pricing. LOL.

Well, I'm with all you All Clad folks. I have one of those. But I'm looking for a nonstick for frittatas/pastillas, specifically, which is as you cooks will know, are flipped. That's a different cooking dynamic than a rolled omelet as the hot liquid butter takes flight along with the eggs.

• elba1
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link on proper heating of a pan - never heard that before!

• sandn
    13 years ago

Rococogurl,
    Have you looked into the ceramic non-stick pans? N gave me one for Christmas--a small 20cm one. It's from a Belgian company called Greenpan. My pan is from the "Stockholm" line (they have several lines named after different cities, but I like the Stockholm handles). It works on all cooktops including induction. N is a superb cooker of eggs and he is able to flip our omelettes beautifully with this pan. We still use quite a bit of butter--can't even imagine an omelette without. I don't think they are meant to be used without butter or oil. I liked the pan enough to buy another larger one, for a two-person omelette. I wouldn't put them in the dishwasher. They are holding up well so far.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Roc--I got a Scanpan in Nov 2007 or 2008. I rarely use non-stick pans, but like having one for those few occasions when one is warranted. Also, DH likes to use a non-stick when he makes eggs for himself. I had planned on getting an 8" pan to replace an old cruddy one, but Chef Central (in Paramus NJ) had a special "Try Me" price on the 9.5", (plus the ubiquitous 20% coupon!) which made it a much better deal. We don't put any pots/pans in the DW, but the Scanpans are DW safe. They clean up super easily using soap and water--swish, swish like another poster said of hers.

The labels on the pans in the store now state that they do not contain whatever it is we are supposed to avoid in non-stick cookware. Not sure if ours is ________-free, or if it is an older version (note to self: call the company and inquire).

I have oodles of coupons for CC (you can only use one per visit), so let me know if you want to meet there one afternoon (I'll give you a coupon and we can browse together)!

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

I have an induction scan pan - it is ?? free (whatever it is that we are supposed to avoid - a la cat mom) - - basically wipe with a soapy cloth and rinse.

Info on my scan pan from the literature - do not over heat, do not use oil from areosol sprays. dishwasher safe but not recommended, oven heat ok to 500, www.scanpan.dk
    I love cast iron, and have to admit that I use cast iron over almost any of my pans. That said, I use the scan pan for eggs exclusively... I'm going to check out the link on how to heat a pan.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Regarding non-stick surfaces...

Older non-stick pans and most new ones contain PTFE in the non-stick coating, whose fumes can be toxic to pet birds with normal pan usage, and to humans in high concentrations which are seen in industrial settings. Coating brand names include Teflon and Silverstone.

PFOA is a different toxic chemical which can be released into the air during the manufacture of PTFE and other substances.

PTFE-free and PFOA-free are NOT the same thing.

There are now many lines of cookware which are advertised as "green" or "environmentally friendly." Sometimes this means PTFE-free, sometimes PFOA-free, and sometimes that the package is made from recycled cardboard. This is definitely a case of buyer-beware. For example, the Scanpan CTX line mentioned above is advertised as "safe for you and your environment," but it is PFOA-free and NOT PTFE-free.

As a bird owner, I think I have tested every PTFE-free skillet on the market in the past 3 years. Most have some type of ceramic coating, which varies considerably in durability. I have to respectfully disagree with the person that recommended Greenpans...the coating in mine bubbled up and lost its non-stick properties after about 3 months. I would recommend that anyone who wants ceramic coated pans buy ONE, and use it for a few months to see how it holds up, before investing in a whole set.

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Swiss Diamond. I don't have one of these yet, but will soon! The local kitchen goods store recommends Swiss Diamond for non-stick, even over All Clad which was a surprise to me. They are a bit less expensive, but certainly not cheap. Anyway, another name to add to the mix. I don't know about the PTFE issue with this brand. We don't like to use non stick, but for a worry free frittata they are nice!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, for frittatas! That's different! I've never had a non-stick pan that I liked, so was just reading along for information.

I've been on an omelette kick recently. It started as experiments with my DeBuyer carbon steel crepe pans. I didn't think I'd like them for eggs because I have a tendency to wiggle them around in the pan and have the best luck with enamel for that (i.e., there's residue, but the eggs still come out, by and large). People were talking in Appliances about using them for breakfasts, and I didn't think they'd be good for eggs in a fry-up. Sure enough, I tried it, and it could have been worse, but the Le Creuset is a lot better.

On the other hand, in doing an experiment regarding my induction, when I was feeling horrid and was looking for a soothing greaseball to eat, I made a grilled egg sandwich using a crepe pan for grilling the sandwich and my blini pan for the egg. That is the best sunnyside up egg I've ever made! It was done in butter, but was totally slidy. Into the sandwich without utensil intervention just like the non-sticks do on TV, same for the sandwich itself, even with the contents running all over the pan.

So for grins I tried the crepe pans for omelettes and they're great! Best omelettes I've ever made too. The folding has always been my downfall. The low sides and really really smooth surface make it really easy to get the spatula underneath and flip it over. Also, the sharp angle makes for perfectly round eggs, which looks really cool. :) The only downside is that they don't have lids, and the ones I've been using are only a so-so fit. Getting it done just right on the top is a challenge. Really beautiful omelettes, however.

I haven't done it yet, but it occurred to me that it would be really easy to make a frittata by starting it in the one pan and heating the next size up one to flip it into. They make double sided frittata pans to do just that.

I wouldn't put these in the dishwasher, but cleaning is just so easy! Right after plating, I run the pan under hot water with a drop of dish liquid, give it a swish with a plant fiber scrubbie if necessary, rinse, pat with towel and put back on the warm element to thoroughly dry. Sounds like a lot, but takes less than 15 seconds. If it looks like it needs it, I'll give it a quick spray of oil for the seasoning too.

If it hadn't been for that discussion in Appliances, I'd still be using these mostly for socca, blintz pancakes and other crepeish things. Because they're so smooth--smoother even than enamel--I think they're great for anything one might do on a flattop, as long is it doesn't get scrambled or slosh out of the pan.

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

Here is what scan pan says about PTFE and their pans. I know this is off the topic, but the question was raised a few posts back about PTFE and PFOA.

CUT FROM EMAIL FROM SCAN PAN SERVICE MANAGER
    Thank you for contacting Scanpan.
    While are pans are PFOA free, they do contain PTFE. PTFE is in all non-stick pans. It is what gives the pans the ability to release the food.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

The ScanPan manager lied to you. PTFE is NOT in all non-stick pans. At least some of the non-stick ceramic pans do not contain PTFE (example, Cuisinart Green Gourmet). In addition, older hard-anodized lines were called non-stick even though they had no interior coating; their non-stick properties were due to the non-porous nature of the aluminum and seasoning the pan properly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Gourmet

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Here's an interlocking Calphalon nonstick frittata pan from Williams Sonoma. I don't have it so can't comment, but the reviews seems to be very favorable.

Here is a link that might be useful: WS frittata pan

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

warmfridge - thanks - I'll check out the ceramic link. I wasn't trying to minimize the PTFE comment from scanpan; I was just confirming that indeed, contrary to my original statement, my scan pan does contain PTFE.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lucy, I don't feel it's off topic at all. Quite on-topic IMO. I like to know what I'm eating from IYKWIM.

I really do appreciate all the info. There are quite a few of these to chase down. GreenPan, Scanpan. Swiss diamond.

Warmfridge, this is going to sound really dumb but are the Cuisinart pans actually ceramic or is that just the coating. The website tells you what the ink is on the packaging but not what the body of the pan is specifically though perhaps I'm not getting it as I haven't seen them.

flwrs-- that double frittata pan, plus a breakfast frittata recipe with potatoes and cheese -- which stuck like h*ll to my t&t English omelet pan -- got me started on this. It's the perfect solution but I'm not loving the price. I also think I have a lingering bias against Calphalon. I taught cooking for a number of years, both in my own house and on the road. Calphalon was in most of the cooking school kitchens (because they sold it) and consistently the worst performer. Perhaps it's improved; just no way to tell.

Part of my issue here, too, is that I've never owned a non-stick anything.

Anyone just buy something really cheap at the grocery store for the few occasions you need it?

plllog -- you always make me smile. The first piece of cookware I ever owned was a classic French iron crepe pan. Still have it along with similar paella pan of same vintage.

Thanks to all. If WS outlet near me hadn't closed down I'd be there this week. Catmom and I had a great time there this past summer. I'm still in mourning.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Rococo,
    The interior coating is ceramic. Cuisinart makes 2 lines, one of which is stainless, and the other anodized aluminum, for the rest of the pan.

• plllog
    13 years ago

The DeBuyer pans are a different shape than a traditional French crepe iron. That's why I bought them in 4 sizes, including blini. I learned on a pan with little sides like this, and I hate it when things fly out of the pan. :)

BTW, the omelettes slide out just like on TV too. With a pat of butter. I'm still working up the seasoning so haven't been tempted to try without. :)

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

I don't put my non-stick in the DW. I wash it all by hand.

• chesters_house_gw
    13 years ago

I don't use the Vollrath pans for much or very often, but they are well built enough so that there aren't obvious hot spots -- and they are still cheap. I don't know how they stack up on the bad chemical scale, but I use them maybe once every two months give or take, so I haven't given that a lot of attention.