Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_shelton

Need help with kitchen layout

Tom Shelton
10 years ago

We are doing a total remodel of split level main floor. We are making it an open concept. the Kitchen is a basic L. 15ft by 10.5ft. Having trouble coming up with a functional layout. We will be installing a 36' range and UC MW or a 36' rangetop and 30' wall oven/Conv MW combo. Will also install a 36' CD Free standing fridge, DW and large single basin sink. Possilbly a prep sink if warranted. Current design is just basic.. Island will be one level.

Comments (18)

• sena01
    10 years ago

How"s this?

I have both a range and oven/MW in the drawing. With a range and UC MW fridge landing would be more convenient. If you decide on a cooktop, two tall appliances would be next to each other, but I think it won't be too bad to have the island as fridge landing. I rarely use the MW, but seems like a lot of GWers prefer fridge and MW close to each other and easily accessed from both DR and LR, so this arrangement may work for you too.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

I can't tell as you have exact dimensions listed but do you plan on having seating at the island? If so, two questions: do you need it with the dining room right next to the kitchen? And do you have necessary clearances between the counter stools saddening chairs? It looks too tight in the picture.

As there is no widow in the kitchen, will you be doing the clean up sink on the wall or in the island?

How many people cook in this kitchen? Any children? Do you entertain? Any more info you can provide?

• Tom Shelton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The island is flexible... It is currently drawn as 4x8 and 5 ft from both legs of the L. Dining room will probably have a bench seat along wall. The current idea for the island is one level with 3 to 4 seats around top corner. DW would prefer to not have clean up at the island..but if layout works better, we are open to it. The only inflexible aspect is the length of the walls of the L. There is only one cook. There are 2 kids, 3 and 7 yrs old. We don't entertain much right now..but DW would like our house to be the house were the kids bring their friends over to hang out as they grow older.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Have you picked out dining table? Dimensions? Could we please have dimensions of entire room not just the L run and proposed island run?

• Tom Shelton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The table is 5.5 by 3ft. The room is 22 ft wide and 17' 4" deep

• cookinmama
    10 years ago

I suggest keeping the clean up sink on the wall, and get a good sized one. I had my clean up sink in my island (last house), and the thing I didn't like about it was the pressure to keep it spotless b/c it is in the middle of the room. Also, if any dirty dishes were in the sink, the whole room sort of took on the aroma. I would also go with the UC MW and put it in the island, maybe on the end by gathering room. Kids can get in and out of it easily (very helpful as the get old enough to make their own snacks/breakfast).

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 21:06

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

A couple of thoughts:

1. Repost your question with a layout that clearly marks all dimensions am shows traffic pattern (see mudhouse post for example) . This will usually get you many more responses than what you have received. See buehls post on layouts for more information. I hope you will consider this, there are many experts and creative folks on this forum. But they can be fussy about layout posts. The more you follow the tips and suggestions, the more they weigh in with various designs. I know when my time comes, I'll be following buehls and live wire oaks suggestions for layout posts.

2. I dislike the MW in island. Rather I prefer a MW drawer near the fridge and coffee and Bretagne stations. This keeps snack breakfast traffic out ofmy work zones.

3. With the counter overhand needed for island seating plus the depth of your table added to a bench seat and chair seats, your main thoroughfare from the gathering room to stairs garage etc would be really really cramped. I still don't think you have enough room; Unless you shrink the aisle between your perimeter and the island.

4. If your heart is set on island seating maybe put your stove on the short wall and orient an island that way? I'm not sure the dimensions would work but it's worth a shot.

5. If your wife envisions the house full of visiting kids, I'd vote for the double oven + MW drawer.

6. With no windows on that wall I would think you need upper cabinetry or at the very least shelving unless I missed something and you have a good deal of art to display in the kitchen.

• sena01
    10 years ago

I'm no expert, but with 22' width, I think you can fit 2' cabs+4' island and a 3' dining table. Remaining 13' can be divided as 4' b/w cabs and island, 3' b/w table and wall and the remaining 6 ft (actually 72-3= 69" after 1,5" overhang for cabs on the parameter and island deducted) would be the aisle from the edge of the island to the edge of the table. I'm assuming the island width of 4' would include the 15" bar as well.

If you'd prefer 5' b/w the island and the perimeter cabs, then having just 2' cab+15 bar overhang for the island would be better imo.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Sena. I wasn't trying to say one couldn't fit both, merely suggesting if that's a main path of traffic in the home it would be tight if people are sitting at both table and island at same time. I think a plain island with display or bookcase on back would work better to delineate the space while not causing any tight aisleways.

I wonder if the optimal layout isn't a u shaped with seating on a peninsula towards the bottom of kitchen with the table is in the upper corner. This way any pinch would be avoided as the seating would be offset.

Again I'm making assumptions based on the e term split level. Although the OP could mean a split entry or raised ranch where the stairs empty into top level with kitchen bedrooms and living room. But the layout seems more reminiscent of a tri or quad? I'm assuming it's a quad or trilevel where kids with backpacks may come running through the aisleway on the way to bedroom to change after school etc. therefore i would prefer the widest walkway possible.

Another option worth considering is a table in center with fridge mw drawer and snack center separated from cleanup and prep and cooking space. My only concern is whether or not the table would become a sort of barrier table?

As I said, I'm definitely not an expert, I was just mentioning my concerns? The OP is free to ignore them. Hopefully our thoughts prompt ideas from others and help the OP clarify his family's wants and needs.

• sena01
    10 years ago

Nashville, of course we're all trying to help OP. But when I saw the garage entry on the left, I thought the traffic b/w the chairs, stools would be to some bedrooms+bath and not be too heavy. That's why I think it's doable; though wider aisles would certainly be preferable. Since the doorway is on the dining table side, I think bench seating the OP is considering, would be a good choice.

• Tom Shelton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I am working on a better drawing with dimensions.. We will probably move the island in so that it is 4 ft from the counters. The shape and dimension of the island are not what it is drawn. When this was drawn, the drafter was going off what the architect had sketched. We had not input any desires at the time. Traffic will be coming in thru the front door between the dining room and kitchen. We don't want seating on that side of the island. The house is a 3 level (soon to be 4) split.. Enter on kitchen level into foyer. A few steps down into basement/powder room level. Stairs up to bedrooms. We are raising the ceilings on the main level to 9ft and adding a master suite above kitchen level. We are adding a mudroom and office to front of the house. My original idea was full range on short wall sink and fridge on long wall with mw drawer on island. DW liked the wall oven/MW combo..but we really have no need for a double wall oven and a microwave.

• Tom Shelton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a cleaned up drawing with dimensions. Scale is 1/4" = 1' The bedrooms are upstairs so everyone will enter in the mudroom, drop off coats and stuff, the enter the kitchen area for food or tv in the gathering room.

• sena01
    10 years ago

So the aisle b/w the island seating and dining table will be a busy one. I think the best way to understand whether this would work for you is to mock it up and live with it for some time.

Make sure that the fridge door, drawers can fully open if placed next to a wall, if not you may need a pullout b/w the fridge and the wall.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Pudge. Starting a new thread with all pertinent details in one space and new title may get you more responses as some of the layout gurus may have already dismissed your original post because of lack of details. Not sure if they check back in on threads they initially dismiss for lack of info.

Im out of suggestions other than moving the island in and offsetting it from the table as much as possible. Although i still think this may function better as a u kitchen. I don't think I would do any seating on any sides of the island as The space just seems a little off as drawn to me. Have you given any thought to putting kitchen and eating space in the gathering room and gathering room in the kitchen space?

In any case I'll bump the thread for you in the hope you get some advice from lwo, Lisa a, buehl and any of the other talented folks on Gw.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Where does the door at the top of the pantry lead to?

• Tom Shelton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That door leads out to the patio. The windows in the pantry are a passthru window to the covered grill area. It is a split level so I tried to eliminate the confusing elements..apparently not very well ;o)

The gathering room will be vaulted with 2 stories of windows... that looks on to the back yard. It was an addition...running the necessary lines to make it a kitchen would be too expensive.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I was just curious why you would want the pantry to open into the great room. Woukdn't it be better to close up that wall, shift the shelving around, and have it open into the kitchen (door where the short shelves are now)?