Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should in-cabinet and undercabinet lighting match?

Posted by wi-sailorgirl (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 14:36

We'll be doing LED UCLs as well as LED in-cabinet lighting. We're still determining color temperature, etc. (leaning heavily towards a cooler but not super cool white, about 3,500-4000K). What I'm wondering is whether the temperature of the lights in both areas (in and under cabinets) should match. Or whether a warmer color would look better in cabinets? (I don't care for how the warm white leds work with our backsplash and counter).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should in-cabinet and undercabinet lighting match?

I don't know the answer but we did the same (3000K) for the UCL and the in cabinet lighting. I think warmer does look good in the cabinets but I thought seeing 2 different temps of light might bother me so I kept it the same : )

o

There is no right answer. If you think it looks good then go for it.

o

Thanks, Fishies!

I understand there is no "right" answer (heck, I'm one to advise ignoring all the rules about clearances etc. if that's what someone wants in their own kitchen). Perhaps I should have asked what other people did and what they thought about it. Obviously I can't test a full lighting plan before it is installed so I won't know what looks good and what doesn't until it's all done.

o

I think it would bother me if I could see that the lighting was significantly different. Can you see how different the colors are at a lighting store or test a couple of bulbs? Your personal sensitivity to light colors may vary as well as factors such as cabinet finish, splash, and other surfaces that will reflect the light.

I don't remember the temp of my cabinet lighting, but the recessed LEDs are 3500K and they read well with the white, cherry, dark wood and the colors in my kitchen,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here