Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktj459

Need opinions on countertop options

ktj459
10 years ago

We are just in the planning stages of our remodel, and I'm trying to get everything all in line so we can get started. My husband just keeps saying all of the options 'look fine', so I could really use some feedback! Here is the kitchen as it is now....

It is not bad, it just needs some love. Its a 1938 tudor revival if that helps you to picture what would look good in the house. We will be painting the cabinets an off-white, and replacing the hardware with bin pulls and latches. The sink will also be replaced with a farmhouse sink. Backsplash will be off-white crackle subway tile and the floor will be stained a chestnut color to match the other woodwork in the house. We could be selling this house in as soon as 5 years, so I am trying to keep that in mind when making choices (though I hate doing that instead of going with what I would like)

1st question.... What do you think of the cabinets? We were originally going to replace them, but I then got a quote for three different cabinet brands and was shocked by all of them. I'd love shiloh soft white flush inset shaker style, but they will cost 17000 for the same exact layout that is there now (9x9 kitchen), and I'm not sure if it is worth it. We live in an expensive area of the country, though, so I'm not sure if keeping the old cabinets will be good if we sell down the road.

2nd question.... Granite or soapstone? I have loved soapstone since I babysat for a family that had it when I was in high school. We'd go with Julia Soapstone from M.Tex if we went this direction.

The other option is Black Mist granite from marble.com. It is very beautiful, and probably more resale friendly, and it also is about 2/3 the cost of soapstone. We would likely choose to hone it, provided tests prove it would hold up well.

3rd question... Any suggestions for wall colors to go with these combinations? I like yellow, but am thinking that what is there is a bit bright. Maybe something just as saturated but more of a mustard? Or would neutral be a better choice?

If you got this far, thanks and I'd love feedback! It's hard to picture it all together, so I'm hoping I'm moving in the right direction!

Comments (14)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

What is the condition of your cabinets? I would not replace them unless they are in poor condition. If you do replace them there are less expensive cabinets.

Don't put granite or soapstone on cabinets unless they have a long life ahead.

Personally, if the cabinets are in decent shape, I would maybe paint and put in a nice laminate counter.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

To my thinking, the biggest motivation to change your base cabinets would be to replace cabinets with drawers.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

What do you think of the cabinets?

If they are in good condition and the layout works for you ... keep them!

Counters ??? Either one looks good.

Paint??? whatevre., You can always repaint. I'm partial to soft yellow in a kitchen

• ktj459
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cabinets are decent, the boxes are in good shape except for under the sink, where there is some staining from past water damage. If we kept the cabinets we'd have a cabinetmaker come in to redo the sink base cabinet. The cabinet doors are just pressed plywood. I'm not a fan of the lower doors, so we'd probably have doors made for those as well. Simple, full overlay shaker doors.

Laminate is not really an option if we ever want to resell. This is just an area where almost everyone has natural stone of some kind. We got this house for a steal and one of the reasons is bc this is a terrible kitchen in comparison to those on the local market. I didn't like the price of the cabinets, but I'm wondering if I would be better off biting the bullet and paying that than having a kitchen that is still below the standard of the area. I'm cheap, but I also want to do what makes sense.

Homes are old here and full of character, so I'm mostly trying to determine if these have character and are worth saving, or if they just look old and we'd be better off replacing them.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

But are the buyers going to gut the kitchen anyway? Then the granite is a waste. Check out your competition. Talk to a RE agent. Go to open houses. What are the kitchens like?

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Am in a similar situation except that we will be moving in a year - not five. Have started the facelift and have struggled with what I, the homeowner loves, vs. what the buyer would want. Such a crazy position. Personally I understand why real estate agents expect and want to list "stone countertops." It gets the client in the door. But, a countertop is such a personal decision nowadays. So whatever you pick, some people will hate and re-do them anyway. That's why I have a hard time redoing a kitchen to "appeal to a buyer." I think I'd prefer to buy a kitchen that I can rip out and do completely over...but I digress.

I think if you are going to be there for 5 years (that is a long time), you should get something YOU LOVE! Soapstone seems more timeless than black granite to me (but again that is preference).

Regarding cabinets, you can go either way but don't put stone on a questionable structure. We had ours re-painted by a reputable cabinet painting company. They look much better and water damage was repaired. Do I look at them everyday and wish I'd gotten new cabs? YES! but I'm moving in a year. You'll have to decide. Can you live with limbo so-so for 5 years?

• ardcp
    10 years ago

17k seems high for Shiloh so I think that cost could be pared back. If you are in an area where nice kitchens are expected, I would be careful about spending money on a counter just to have potential buyers want to gut the kitchen because the cabs are old. If you are going to replace doors anyway, it may not be a big jump for all new cabs.
    I would go on zillow and look at houses that are comps to what you think your house would go for and use that as a guide. I had a KD wisely tell me that I will only get the value of a low level granite even if I splurged and bought cambria. Potential buyers won't know an expensive stone from a cheaper one. Plus some of the gorgeous expensive stones are quite busy and many people don't like them.

• smalloldhouse
    10 years ago

No advice but I just had to share a link to one of my personal favorite kitchen reveals from the GW archives, which also happened to be a Tudor revival. I'm pretty sure there have been some others shared on here as well - this one has stuck with me bc I have a galley style kitchen and I aspire to an end result that is half as lovely. Btw, this GW member used Virginia mist and marble... Just to add some other options for you to consider! Good luck deciding - hope to see the final reveal!

Here is a link that might be useful: GW member histokitch finished kitchen photos

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

Where are you at? You don't happen to be in the NYC metro area? If so, I have a cheaper cabinet source for you. I also think 17K is ridiculous. I live in the NYC suburbs and my cabs were 17K and I got WAY more than what you would be replacing.

That said, we moved 3 years ago. This house had the 'worst' kitchen of them all - but it was impeccably clean and staged well with a light yellow paint and white wainscoting. We also looked at houses with kitchens that had old cabinets and had put granite on top of them. It was a turn OFF to me b/c I knew I was going to need to tear those cabs out anyway and the granite would be a waste.

The first thing is to lighten up that yellow (and the red!) to something softer/lighter. Get rid of the plaid curtain. The counter edge is what dates it the most I think. Look into some other laminates and think about replacing with that - removing the back 3" splash. Get a tile backsplash up - subway tile is still very popular and will be for a while I'm sure and you can get an affordable option at a big box store. And think about getting a SS dishwasher to match your other appliances - lots of buyers 'need' stainless.

• NewEnglandgal
    10 years ago

We are in the same exact predicament you are. Planning on moving eventually and not wanting to spend a fortune on the kitchen redo. We kept almost all our cabinet boxes as they were in great shape and also had to have a new base for the sink due to a previous leak underneath. We hired a cabinet maker to make new doors and drawers for us.and so far it is MUCH cheaper than new cabinets and even refacing! We are putting in granite on our island and quartz on the perimeter. I also ordered an expensive farmers sink. I think you should put in whatever you like. 5 years is a good amount of time and by the time you sell who knows what a person will want to do with the kitchen. Some want to redo it their own way no matter what you do. Go with what you like.

• ktj459
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debra- kitchens are either like this one is currently, old in an old house (which people consider in need of being redone) or custom high-end kitchens. We are expanding this house, so with the price range it will put it into with more square footage, I think people would expect it to be more than it is now. I like the galley style and don't want to open walls if I don't have to in a home this old, which are the reasons we won't put the kitchen completely into the extension, which will go out the back behind those double windows and be built over the next year.

Lesmobo- 1 year! And I thought 5 made it hard! I agree soapstone is more classic. I wish I didn't have to consider the next owner, and maybe I shouldn't considering we said we'd only be in this state for five years total and it's already been almost 10 with a plan for five more!

Ardcp- what your kitchen designer said is why I wonder if the granite is the better choice. Most people won't know that soapstone is the more expensive stone, and it might be a turn off for some because of the patina it will develop.

Smalloldhouse- I love that kitchen reveal! The range hood and open shelving are a thing of beauty. Honed Virginia mist also is on the short list of countertops we are considering, though it's btwn the black mist and the soapstone in price, so I wonder if I'd regret not spending that little bit more to get the soapstone.

Kathy- I am in the NYC metro area, Bergen County, NJ. I'd LOVE to hear your source. Even Kraftmaid from big box store were priced at 14,000. That's with a cabinet range hood that I could get rid of to lower the price, but still seems like a lot when stylistically it isn't my first choice. What you said is exactly what I worry about- someone looking at nice counters on cabs they want to replace and thinking they wouldn't want the waste, or just buying it and scrapping it, which would create waste that I would hate.

Sammy- I think I will have to get a cabinetmaker in to price it out. I know from reading other posts on GW that it often is less expensive, and it's good to hear your experience was the same.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

ktj459 - You aren't set up for me to email. Can you click on my name and then use the "Send me email" link to connect with me, please? I'll give you my KD's info via email.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Ok, well then I would consider doing something like histokitch. Keep the basic layout but make easy changes. Have the cabs reconfigured. While I love soapstone many don't like the properties of it. For resale you might want to go with granite like jet mist.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

We have Cruz Azul soapstone in our new kitchen and M bath. It is very similar to the greenish SS you are considering. We, in 6 months, have oiled it only once but intend to do it again soon. the green vanes really pop when oiled. We are very pleased with our decision to go SS.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler