Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Operation Forklift in DC? Directions?

Posted by sdionnemoore (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 14:28

I Googled Operation Forklift and didn't come up with anything. Can someone give me directions to this place in DC? I'd love to look over their remnants for our bathrooms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Operation Forklift in DC? Directions?

http://www.communityforklift.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Directions

o

[LOL]

Just wanted to chime in that those directions stink.
You'll wander around in an area that is pretty awful if you don't understand their north/south, which are actually east/west on the street signs.

If you wanted to let me know from where you're coming, I can help. I go every Friday.

o

"You'll wander around in an area that is pretty awful if you don't understand their north/south, which are actually east/west on the street signs. "

Washington DC has four quadrants, with the Capitol at the intersection.

North-east, north-west, south-east, and a very small section of south-west that still exists (a lot of it became Arlington County Virginia with retrocession).

They are abbreviated on many signs as NE, NW, SE, and SW.

Numbered streets generally run N-S, lettered street E-W, streets named after states are diagonals for the most part.

The letter 'J' is missing from the letter streets.

Watch out for stop lights on the SIDES (corners) of the intersections.

I know one person who missed them and barreled through before realizing they are not overhead.

o

Dearheart, the Community Forklift is in Bladensburg (Edmonston) which is no where near any quadrants. We weren't talking about Washington, DC.

I've lived in DC since 1980, at 15th and Q (N.W.) for 10 years.

I'm talking Rural Route signs such as Kenilworth Ave out by 295, BW Parkway near the beltway. If you take a moment and check the directions linked above, they sound fine, but as I said,

>>"You'll wander around in an area that is pretty awful if you don't understand their north/south, which are actually east/west on the street signs.<<

Awful means awful. Don't get caught there at night and only ask a cop if you're winging it and get lost.

And you forgot to mention that everywhere the state streets intersect, you have a traffic circle.
And, the letters start with syllables after a, b, c. We go to 1 syllable, 2 syllables, 3, etc., and some out into Maryland with 4. Add that to the DC hints. It sure can be confusing for the newbies.

How's that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here