Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith1_gw

Fridge against wall - what to do?

bsmith1
10 years ago

Hi folks! I will be replacing my fridge soon, and am trying to figure out how to do so. Here's a pic of my issue:

I have to keep the fridge pulled way out from the wall, otherwise I can't open the right side fridge door all the way.

I'd love to get a counter depth fridge or add a panel to the side of a standard depth and replace/pull out the cabinets on top to give it more of a built-in look, but I can't figure out how to do this without running into the issue of the right door not being fully openable.

If I have to have a french door fridge pulled out like mine is now, it would look weird even with a surround. If I push it back or get a CD fridge, I wouldn't be able to open the door fully.

Am I stuck getting a 1 door top fridge/bottom freezer? Or perhaps splitting up the double cabinets and getting a counter depth with a surround on both sides? Would having a fridge in the middle with 1 cab on each side look weird?

I'm hoping there's some obvious solution I'm overlooking. An actual remodel isn't in the cards anytime soon, and other than having a wonky looking fridge that's 12 years old and dying, the kitchen works well for us. Any ideas?

Comments (19)

• Fori
    10 years ago

If you don't need a french door or side-by-side, there are (were?) some fridges that could be hinged left or right. I currently have a setup like yours and open the door into a doorway. I feel your pain.

I think Fisher & Paykel sells a left hinged fridge...look at AJmadison.com for a great sort feature. They have a great website for browsing options.

• bsmith1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, fori. I've considered that I might be forced to get a one door top fridge/bottom freezer. Even then, I think I'll refuse to put the hinge on the left and open the door into the room. No way, no how am I losing a landing zone!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

How will a one door top fridge/bottom freezer be any different? It still won't be possible to open it if it's right next to the wall (and hinged on the right).

• bsmith1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right, sjhockeyfan. It would have to open on the left. Which would really suck.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

>Which would really suck.

Well, it's not ideal, but it's really not that bad, unless you do a huge turkey or bone-in-rib roast for twenty every week. It's not horrible to lean back around the door to set things on the countertop, not if there's no other place for the fridge to go. I know because I've had that setup in the past.

• bsmith1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What if I just swapped the fridge to the left and put the cabinets on the right? Would that solve my problems, or is there something I'm not considering? Would that look weird?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I had that exact same set-up before I did my remodel. I was able to open the doors just fine (side-by-side) by getting a fridge that was a bit narrower than the spot that it went into. I did have to pull the fridge all the way out (like in your picture) in order to remove the vegetable bins for cleaning, but for everyday use, the doors opened without issues. You just need to leave a couple of inches of space over against the wall.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I would be super tempted to split up the double cabinet. I don't think it will look weird and it will make your fridge very happy.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I would definitely consider that (as opposed to a left-hinged refrigerator in the original space).

• bsmith1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jellytoast - when we moved in last year, the fridge was pushed against the wall, and we could barely open any of the drawers (which take up at least 1/3 of the fridge) to get to anything. Each drawer would only open about halfway. Perhaps another fridge wouldn't have the same issue.

robotropolis - yes, it's definitely seeming like either splitting up the double cabinet or swapping the fridge to the left and cabs to the right is where I need to go. I think I'd need to go with a CD fridge in that case though, yes?

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

french door fridge will def. work better than what you have.

the bottom freezer is a drawer, so no issue.

the top fridge section is one compartment so if one door does not open all the way, you can still get your stuff.

you can also look into the 33" french door fridges, I think GE makes one, but it is not counter depth. beyond that, there are some really pricey options in non standard sizes.

• xc60
    10 years ago

We have had the same issue with fridge location in a couple of homes. Never really bothered me not to be able to open the door all the way. One possible issue if you get a french door fridge is opening or accessing the wide deli drawer. We have ordered this fridge for our new build that also has the fridge next to a wall. It has an exterior deli drawer that lets you can see it contents without opening up the drawer due to the bottom shelf of the fridge being glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid Fridge

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

How wide is the opening? I would definitely consider a narrower fridge - or one like xc60 posted, where you can access almost everything without even opening the right door.

I don't think splitting your cabinets would look weird - especially with one side set up as a coffee station. My only concern would be if it would then come too close to your island/peninsula.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

What's the clearance between the countertop and the peninsula/island/whatever it is?

• bsmith1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can do some measuring this evening.

I have to admit, I hate the look of the extra drawer fridges. I'd rather reconfigure the cabinets than get one. It's an excellent idea, though, xc60. :)

• deedles
    10 years ago

Definitely split the cabs and look into a CD fridge. Problem-o solved. If you do that you'll also get rid of the tunnel thing in that doorway, too.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

One solution that hasn't been suggested is to widen the opening between the kitchen and dining room. If the wall depth to the right of the fridge is around 28", , and you use a full depth refrigerator, that will allow the fridge door to fully open and just swing into the DR when you have to have full access. It's probably less work to move the cabinets around, but since so many people are opening up walls these days, I thought I'd suggest it as an option.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

We have the same situation with our fridge. When this home was originally built, it had a regular freezer on top fridge that opened into the kitchen. Somewhere along the way, someone upgraded to a side by side and it has been a real pain! Before we moved in 5 years ago we had the wall cut down but there is still a 12 inch section of wall when the fridge is pushed all the way in. We just ordered a new fridge on Saturday, the same Kitchenaid model that xc60 posted. We liked that the doors do not hinge out past the fridge box and also that it is ADA compliant. I know this model will open wider on the right and even though it won't open all the way, the french door design solves that problem!