Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

New granite countertops...supposed to have an apron seam?

christy2828
14 years ago

Yesterday I had granite countertops installed in Baltic Brown. There is a visible seam all around the apron that I did not expect to see. I cannot feel it with my finger, but I can definitely see it - even from a distance. Is it supposed to look like this?? Thanks, Christy

Here is a portion of the contract - I changed the beveled edge to eased:

The company will specifically supply and install the following custom ordered items.

Remove existing mica tops.

Baltic Brown Granite tops with 1.5" thick beveled edge and undermount sink cutout $3093.00

a.C-Tech single bowl stainless sink $179.14

Comments (13)

• teresa518
    14 years ago

It looks like they installed 3/4 granite with a lamination rather than a 1 1/4 slab. Was your slab 3/4? Did you have plywood reinforcement? If so, that's what a laminated edge would look like. Hopefully one of the granite experts will chime in....

• tateland
    14 years ago

hi
    When I first saw the seam on my Uba Tuba I freaked! Like you, I wasn't expecting it. I don't even notice it now, and I barely notice it on your granite. Thats how they do the granite on the west coast I am told to make it look thicker. Your kitchen and granite look awesome.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Tateland,
    You are right it looks much thicker than my granite.
    Here is an image of mine counter. Maybe this can help
    ease your mind. I am on the east coast.
    ~boxerpups

I chose a boring 1/2 bullnose

• lzrj
    14 years ago

It does look like they used a thin slab and laminated another piece around the edge. A single 2cm (3/4 inch thick) or 3cm 1 1/4 inch thick) slab would not have that line. 3cm is all they sell in my area (MO).

You should be able to look up under your dishwasher to see if it is laminated on the front or if it is the same thickness all the way back. It's weird because it does look look like most of the grain pattern lines up above and below the line. So it might be one slab and just something they did in the fabrication part to cause the line. Overall I think it looks very nice from the other photos.

• artemis78
    14 years ago

Ours also has a seam (although MUCH more noticeable than yours---I might not be able to tell if you hadn't called it out!) Someone told me it was because it's less costly to do the counter that way than to use a thicker slab, though I have no idea if that's actually the case. (The PO put the granite in to get the house ready for sale, and it's a fairly shoddy install job overall---lots of very visible seams, etc.) It is the case that I've seen other counters with no seam in the same style, so I guess there is an alternate way to do it....but it's never affected the functionality at all, and generally I forget about it most of the time.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry too much---your counter is beautiful!

• lzrj
    14 years ago

Well, I just took another look at your second photo and missed it the first time. The edge is laminated to give it the thick look. Thus the reason you have the line. I did not pay attention to the sink cut out on the counter top. It is only half of what the front edge is.

• julie94062
    14 years ago

That's similar to what we have. For 2 cm granite they do attach a piece underneath it to form the thicker edge. Pretty standard, I think. From the side, it looks like this:

They use the adjoining outline of granite so that the bottom piece matches the top. Your guy did a pretty good job of this. But I don't think you should be seeing the dividing line so much. If Kevin doesn't see this, do a separate post with his name in the title. Maybe they can polish it a bit. I'm no expert, that's for sure! Just have the experience of my own granite with a similar edge.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

What you're seeing is what we call a "glue line" - This happens when two pieces
    of stone are laminated to create a thicker looking edge detail. This is common.

The glue lines in laminating - no matter HOW good your guy is (even me - HA!)
    WILL be able to be seen if you look for them. This is normal. Some glue lines
    are not as noticeable as others (ie: look at Boxerpups - you can barely see them) ...
    This is attributable to the stone, and the abilities of your Fabricator, and the
    kind of glue they use (with or without tints)

As far as remedies now - you can use some stone enhancer (Ager Tiger)
    on the edge and it might help disguise the glue line - but it won't make it
    go away entirely. As crazy as this sounds too - a black sharpie pen hitting
    the black areas will also help minimize the visual impact of the glue lines.
    Those of us making a living doing Slab Countertops have used this little
    trick of the trade for decades...... ;-)

It's always advisable for Fabricators to SHOW you a sample of a laminated
    edge to alert you to the glue line issue - I always say that the glue lines WILL
    be there - and no matter how good I can get them - you WILL see them if
    you look hard enough for them.....

hth

kevin

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

I used the black Sharpie trick on our laminated edge and you can't even tell where the seam is. That was two years ago and it still looks fine, though I did one small touch-up.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

You could also do a mitered edge instead of the sandwiched edge. the mitered edge shows the joint less.

I dont think there is any fabrication error here.

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

A mitered edge is done where the seam is directly on the edge of the countertop where the adjoining pieces are cut at 45 degree angles, correct? Is this as sturdy as the edge pictured by the original poster?

• jrueter
    14 years ago

Boxerpups -
    What finish is your granite - is it honed, antique, etc? how did they finish the edge to match the finish?

Thx!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor