Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magsnj_gw

Tiles going in tomorrow-should i change grout?

magsnj
10 years ago

Hi! My subway tile is going in tomorrow for my backsplash. I've chosen a white matte porcelain tile, and now I'm second guessing my grout choice a little bit. I chose antique white grout b/c I thought I wanted to be able to notice the subway tiles more and also I liked the way the color went, but now I'd like to hear what you think. Should I go with a more true white so the outline of the tile isn't as noticeable? I'm 85% sure that I like my choice, but I figured I might as well increase my confidence or change my mind as the case might be, since I still have time to run to home depot and exchange. The color of the grout is the tan color on the box next to the subway tiles:

Comments (34)

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here's a link to my kitchen. The tile is going all the way to the ceiling on the range side

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen

• Bunny
    10 years ago

My tile is creamy white and the grout is light gray. At first I was sorry that I hadn't gotten a darker gray for more contrast. Now I'm glad I didn't. I'm well aware of the shape of my tiles (subway) and I don't need grout to point it out.

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

I like simple things....so I would match the tile. There will already be a pattern with the edge of the tiles, no need to emphasize. I also think too much pattern is a smaller space might look too busy.

But post your final reveal either way- can't wait to see it!

• natebear zone 10B
    10 years ago

I would prefer a light gray in the same tone as the gray of the counter. Either way, I would return the antique white color.

• lam702
    10 years ago

Its really a matter of taste, in my opinion. Some people like the grout to match the tiles, others like to have it contrast. . Are your cabinets white? I think a gray grout would look really nice with the white tiles, but I like a little contrast, like to see the shape of the tiles defined, and the gray grout does that. It seems that most people prefer the grout and tile to match though. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I would look at some kitchens done both ways, see which look you prefer.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Is it possible to do a sample?

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

I would prefer white or light gray. I think the antique white will make it look like the grout is dirty against a white subway tile.
    I agree with may_flowers to do a quick sample board. Grout is inexpensive. Changing it will be messy and expensive.

• lawjedi
    10 years ago

I cannot tell if you are showing us 2 pics of the same grout or not... I think it really is a "need to decide in real life" color situation.

That being said, my personal bias is that I don't care to notice the grout. I'd rather match the tile coloring. Perhaps just a teensy, tiny shade off if you wanted to contrast. But no more than that. White subway tile with darker grout is very distracting for me. Once again, my personal bias. I know many people like it.

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

We used Warm Gray grout by mapei from Lowes with our white subways. I like a little contrast, but I can't see yours clearly enough to make a decision.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

On my monitor, the grout looks more brown while the counters and cabinets are gray and white. I'd match a lighter gray from the counter.
    Brown grout with brown granite

Gray grout with gray counters

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I prefer contrast grout and yes, I do second guess every decision. It makes life more exciting.

Okay, I just went back and looked at your pics (I know, I should have done that first). Your kitchen is perfection and I would go with whatever your gut is telling you. You obviously have great taste and a unique design sense that others can't imitate. Make sure you post pics when it's done.

I will offer this advice: do a quick sample board tonight. Have you got a piece of plywood and an empty ice cream pail to mix the grout in? Just hot glue a few tiles on the board, mix up a bit of grout and then look at it in the morning when it's dry. Grout can look really different than on the box and can bring out weird shades in the tile.

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 17:33

• amykath
    10 years ago

Definitely do a sample! I too prefer a grout that will make the tile stand out more. I like nosoccermom's backsplash with the more contrasting grout. I think it has a timeless look!

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I would go with a light gray.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry everyone!!! I hate when someone asks a question and then disappears! My computer kicked the bucket last night so it was difficult to respond, but I did see all of your responses and I really appreciate them! DH, needless to say was ready to strangle me. We went to home depot, and ended up with the same grout we began with......I'd say is a light greige. The cabinets are blue and I think/hope it looks nice......honestly I think it'll definitely look nice, I just want it to be the 'best' choice.

Daisychain01, your post made me feel so good!! Thank you.

Here's a pic of todays work...the grout goes on tomorrow.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right side up:

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of someone's kitchen who used antique white.

• peony4
    10 years ago

So glad you took it to the ceiling! It looks great so far--congratulations. Can't wait to see it when everything is back in place.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

I hope you can mix a mini batch of grout tonight. I think it is going to look too tan. The picture with the antique white does not have the gray undertones that you have. You might want to check out Mapei Frost (Lowes). You can google Mapei Frost with white subway and you will find a very subtle gray that would highlight you beautiful countertops.
    Your kitchen is gorgeous!!!

• xc60
    10 years ago

I think the photo you show with the antique white has alot more beige in the counters then yours do. I really really also suggest using a light grey grout as well.

Beautiful kitchen and tile. :)

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hear what everyone is saying about the grey, but maybe I should've mentioned my floors are wood and the countertop in my pantry (which you can see from the kitchen are wood) every time I thought of going with a true grey, it didn't seem right, hence the Greige.

Sorry for the crummy pic to show the flooring....its the best I have on this phone while I'm waiting for my computer

• xc60
    10 years ago

Oh I see why you picked the antique white then. Normally you match the grout to the tile and counter surface thats actually attached to it. Which is why so many here said either white or light grey as the flooring color doesn't really matter as much nor a wood counter elsewhere as they are normally viewed as a neutral. All the best tomorrow, it's a gorgeous space.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks xc60! I should have mentioned the floor earlier but I didn't consciously choose the color with the floor in mind, I just looked at all the colors in the room and picked the one that worked 'best'. I should have dissected the choice and explained it better.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen and the antique white. I think that grout shade gives the tiles a lot of character which will match your kitchen.

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

magsnj - What is the actual name of the grout color? Oyster Gray by chance? I think it looks fantastic!

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

magsnj - Also, how big did you make your grout lines? What size spacers?

• ikeltz
    10 years ago

I think you made another great choice. So far, in my opinion, you are batting 1000. I can't wait to see it when it's done.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blackchamois, its not oyster gray, but I think that grout color could be fantastic in another kitchen. Actually I know it would be fantastic, bc when I started looking for grout, its the color I wanted (ended up being too dark gray for my kitchen). I'm attaching the pic I first saw with it and the link of the kitchen. I really think its beautiful inthe right kitchen.

My tiles are daltile, which have self spacers in them. You can find them in home depot (I had to special order my color)...they're made in the USA (except for the bullnose ones which are made in Mexico)

Here is a link that might be useful: oyster grey

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PS, the grout isn't in yet in my kitchen....that's tomorrow.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

OMG! The tile to the ceiling looks fantastic! I hope I don't sound too much like a sycophant, but I just adore your kitchen and choices so far. Can hardly wait for pics of it with grout.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PS, the grout isn't in yet in my kitchen....that's tomorrow.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I updated my original kitchen post with todays grout progress

Here is a link that might be useful: original kitchen post

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

Looking forward to seeing tomorrow's progress. (BTW - I love The Inspired Room and I have that kitchen pinned to my favorites. I am considering doing they Oyster Gray in my kitchen.)