Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdionnemoore_gw

Crazy expanding ad

sdionnemoore
16 years ago

Okay, is anyone else having problems with the crazy ad from Imodium expanding and collapsing all the time. It makes me dizzy to be reading the posts then having them scroll because of the ad at the top of the page collapsing.

Comments (29)

• amck2
    16 years ago

It's happening to me, too. I don't mind seeing ads, but this one is making me seasick.

• donna214
    16 years ago

Yes, this just started with me today also.

• mawheel
    16 years ago

YES!!! It's driving me crazy! If it keeps up too long, it may drive me away from these forums! And I would hate that!

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    16 years ago

yep me too
    looks like it needs some immodium to slow it down

• User
    16 years ago

Yep, maybe its purpose is to drive us all to a state that would require some Immodium!!!!

• peggross1
    16 years ago

suggestion for everyone. Go to the main page of the kitchen thread and click on the "contact us" that is in read in the comments at the top, dated Feb. 6th. Let them know; I did.

• plllog
    16 years ago

If you're using Firefox (or Seamonkey most likely) you can get a total ad-block plug-in called Ad-Block Plus. Subscribe to the list for your region and you should be all set. If you do see anything you don't want you can click on the little trasparent "ad block" tab and get rid of it, or type it in manually.

If you want Firefox, you can download it for free. Just do a websearch.

I used to let the ads run as a way of paying for websites I loved, but the ads on GW are so annoying I went to ad-block. It makes everything nicer, and I don't feel as bad as I might because I think I've looked at 3 net ads in 15 years.

• pugger
    16 years ago

Yea that ad has been killing me today. I guess it's supposed to be analogous to a bad case of stomach cramps! Sorry for the visual but it can't be worse than the ubiquitous imodium ad ...

• bmorepanic
    16 years ago

If you use internet explorer put these sites:

*.doubleclick.net
    *.googleadservices.net
    *.googlesyndication.com
    *.overture.com
    graphics.gardenweb.com

in your restricted sites. This will stop most of it.

In the window menus:
    ---Tools
    -----Internet options
    -------Security Tab
    ----------Highlight the picture of restricted sites
    ----------Press the sites button
    ----------type in or copy(ctrl-c)/paste(ctrl-v) each of the five site names above - including the astericks and click add.
    ----------press close
    ------Press ok button

That's about 50% of the advertising. Some other sites you visit may also have advertisements disappear.

• dd70
    16 years ago

Yes! It's very annoying!

• friedajune
    16 years ago

I did what Smarge suggested and clicked on the "contact us" link at the top of the Kitchens Forum page. I wrote how annoying this expanding and collapsing ad is. But I do not know if they (whoever "they" is) will do anything. But perhaps if enough people write in, they will stop this ad.

• kulagal
    16 years ago

To bmorepanic: thank you so much! It worked beautifully!
    Thanks for your expertise.

• tko_in_fl
    16 years ago

Count me in as another person who followed smarge's advice. I hope they do something with that ad before I get any more nauseous!

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU bmorepanic. It worked perfectly. I have chronic vertigo (seriously) and that was making my eyes and head even more wacked (seriously).

• donna214
    16 years ago

Thank yo sooo much bmorepanic, it worked like a charm.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Very annoying just like the others they've had "jumping" out at us. I was so annoyed I didn't even know what the ad was for. I just see these kids faces popping up again and again, making me crazy!!

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

You know, I run a site too, and I depend on banner ads to support the site, but this is the MOST ANNOYING ad ever! I hate to block them.. but I did as well as sent them an email.

• aunttomichael
    16 years ago

Thank you, bmorepanic!

• pupwhipped
    16 years ago

bmorepanic, I thank you, as well. I am the original "puter" idiot and even I was able to do this...and it worked! I've never minded any of the other ads, but this was truly ridiculous. I just posted on another thread begging someone to just shoot the Imodium little boy and girl. You've really had enough when you're encouraging others to go postal on children. HA!!! Thanks again for your expertise, bmorepanic.

• alanandnancy
    16 years ago

plllog, thanks so much from a Firefox user--most excellent!
    --Nancy

• dd70
    16 years ago

bmorepanic-your awesome! Thank you so much for that, it works perfectly!

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

bump to bring this to page one for those who haven't seen it.

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

thank you bmorepanic...DONE

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

Thank you!

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

AGH!

I tried the above and it does not work for me. I'm using IE. I added all the sites and the damn thing opens and closes and shifts the site. I sent them a email. This is SOOOOOOOOOOO annoying!

• olga_d
    16 years ago

Thank you plllog! I already use Firefox and just installed the plug-in - much better!

• chefkev
    16 years ago

plllog - Thanks - Enabled AdBlock Plus (love Firefox)

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

What's ironic is that that ad is giving me diarrhea.

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh ! Finally it is GONE ! What a dumb idea it was.