Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisapico

Do those little extras really make life easier?

lisapico
16 years ago

I'm talking about things such as having a pot filler, a prep sink, soap dispenser. What do you like and what could you have done without?

We're in the design process and have lots of wiggle room to add or delete from our plan. Would love to hear your input!

I know a lot comes to down to personal preference and how one works in a kitchen, but I'm curious nontheless :)

Comments (49)

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We have a toe-kick drawer that holds a folding step-stool. At 5'1" it comes in very handy.

Jodi-

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I am doing without all three of these items. However, I am putting in an undercounter ice maker (YAY!), lateral file drawers, a bulletin board, and cubby holes for mail instead of wine. And I would not live without a garbage disposal.
    De gustibus non disputandum est.

• lisapico
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Where are you putting file drawers? Do you have a built-in desk?

• marypearl
    16 years ago

Hi Jodi -- what exactly is a toe-kick drawer? I am also in the midst of a complete kitchen remodel and interested in anything and everything I read here. I'm thinking it must be a drawer that sits where the toe kick would go, is that right?

• midwestmom
    16 years ago

I could have done without my spice pull-outs. I have one on either side of the stove hood. Since bigger spice bottles won't fit in the pull-outs, I now have three different places to keep spices which means three different places to look for what you need.

I also could have done with the beloved tapmaster. But that's just me and I know so many here love theirs. I keep it pushed down in the off position but when someone comes over the first thing they do is kick it and say "now what?" Urgh, it's frustrating, lol.

I don't have a pot filler so it seems to me like it would be helpful. I would have loved a soap dispenser but we have laminate so that was a no-go.

• sudiepav
    16 years ago

I'm getting a potfiller faucet. I like to can and make pickles as well as lots of soups and pasta...think it will help immensely. We redid the kitchen in a previous house and geegaws I'm sorry I paid extra for were: folddown drawers at the front of the sink for scrubbies and sponges. Lined w/ plastic, they were always dirty and difficult to get clean. Bread drawer...it rusted quickly. Halogen undercounter lights - they were always burning out and tough to replace. I do want undercounter lighting but will go w/something more practical. I am very glad I got the 2 bin rollout wastebasket and am getting in again. Very handy for wastebasket and recycling.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Vac-pan for the central vacuum in the toe-kick. One of my favorite things about the new kitchen. Have gotten rid of my dust-pan! Yeah!

Soap dispenser is a real guilty pleasure- I don't know why it fills me with such glee to use it. Goodbye Bright Yellow Sunlight bottle and gunk on the counter! BTW- the inexpensive $14 HD is solid brass construction and working great- looks very similar to the >$250 matching Blanco model that I was talked out of by the HD salesman (thank heavens!)

Undermount sink, would never go back to the ol way now. Looks so clean- and helps (along with a deeper sink) hide
    dirty dishes- (not that I'd ever have dirty dishes!!! :>)

• berryberry
    16 years ago

Depends on your needs and situation. In the final stages of planning / contracting for our kitchen re-do and started thinking about a number of items I researched here but as we went thru the process, I learned even more and made changes based on our own personal needs. For us

NO ITEMS:

potfiller (greater potential for problems and sink is only 5 feet away)

prep sink - no need - walking the extra 3 or 4 steps to the main sink is good exercise - LOL

tapmaster - not interested

YES ITEMS:

Spice pullouts - will be very helpful

softclose full extension drawers - really like these

and then we will spend more on upgraded cabinet details which will help achieve a really great look overall

There are lots of good ideas here - but some will make no sense for you while others will. You need to think really hard about what really works for you

• sweeby
    16 years ago

- I really love my pull-out waste and recycling centers and pull-out spice drawers. (NOT the skinny little spice rack, but a full 15" wide 2-level heavy chrome rollout.)
    - Wonderful DH made me a knife drawer with slots that run that run front-to-back (instead of the usual side-to-side) to accommodate my oversized knife collection, and some custom dividers for other cooking utensils.
    - Also, I had a dead inside corner (Intentional - I had enough storage, but wanted drawers on both sides) and over that corner, I set a utensil bin into the countertop. That way, my most-used cooking utensils are handy to the cooktop but not visible beyond the raised-bar area.
    - Full-extension drawer glides are fabulous! You wouldn't think the last 2-3" would matter, but it does. Hugely! The soft-close feature is nice but not essential. Full-extension is essential.
    - My prep sink is a core part of the design, and the work flow in my kitchen wouldn't work without it.
    - The warming drawer is great to have and we use it daily -but if we'd never had it, I probably wouldn't miss it. (However, now that we have one, every future kitchen will need one...)
    - I could easily have done without the tip-out sink section though, in all honesty, I do use it fairly regularly. A small basket under the sink would have been just fine though.

• toddimt
    16 years ago

jodi_in_so_calif:

Do you have a pic of the toe kick drawer?

Sweeby:
    do you have a pic of the spice drawers, your knife drawer and the utensil bin?

I need visual aids :).

• aunttomichael
    16 years ago

You might want to read this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Now that I have X, I could have...

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

This may sound like a silly thing to "have to have" but I absolutely LOVE my soap dispenser!! I use it for hand soap, since I use the DW more(actually not hooked up yet from the flood). I find my kids use it often so I don't have to keep saying "did u wash your hands". Crazy but I love it!!
    I also really like my recycle bins, love my walk in pantry (had this before), pull out faucet, pullout spice & bakeware tall drawers next to the range too : ) Oh ya......really love the new fridge & stove (had to get new ones) so much bigger and new to me to have the ceramatop range, actually like cleaning my stove now!

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

I will post a photo of the toe-kick drawer when I get home from work later today.

Jodi-

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I have toe kick drawers in every toe kick available. You can store lightbulbs, linens, step stools, trays, etc in them. They can be used as hidden storage as well in other areas. You never know when you might need a pistol in the garage.....wait that's a secret :oP KIDDING! We are putting one in the son's bathroom that will be flipped upside down while he's small to use as a step up to the sink for him, and then can be flipped back over when he's grown for storage. Add up four inches of storage extra below all of your kitchen cabinets....it adds up to A LOT of storage!

Never MT is about $20 and takes care of the dish soap bottle for a year....how cool is that? A prep sink...well I went out of my way to design with that included because it makes a one cook kitchen into a two cook kitchen very quickly. The main cook in our kitchen can use the main sink and the pot filler, but the other cook can make salad, etc., at the other sink, and scrape plates due to it's proximity to the dining room opening when the main sink is full from the crazy cook.

Pot filler...they flow much faster than a normal faucet, which is nice if you ever fill up a bit pan of water for soup on a regular basis. We do, and can't wait until it's in place.

I don't want to do away with any of those items, though we could have purchased less expensive ones. Did we need a 55 1/2 inch range....I think not :) But will we use it to it's capacity, oh ya! We entertain and cook for large groups and can't wait to use every inch of it.

The plate warmer or warming drawer...I'm only sorry I didn't make room for one in the bathroom...I hear they're fabulous for towel warmers!

We did research that quite a bit because of the design space for the warming drawer (in the kitchen). In the end, we purchased a range with a warming cabinet which will work even better than the drawer. The folks we know with the drawers who cook a lot, use it every night. The folks we know who have them but don't cook...think they're useless except for pizza. But for a couple of those folks..their range and sinks are useless LOL

I think it's such an individual thing, these luxuries. I'm with the above poster who didn't like the big jug of soap on the counter (and with two sinks...two counters) so the never MT was a big deal to me. The same can be said for the sink issue. The luxuries I could have done without (but didn't want to) were the upgrades. Things like squirrel knobs and pulls shaped like moose :oP The tile backsplash could have been cheaper and still lovely. The stove could have been bigger and cheaper and still functional..the glass could have been standard verses stained. It's those areas I'd change first, before I'd change the actuall functioning pieces. After all, that moose head drawer pull isn't going to make the drawer open any better...and not nearly as well as the full extension glides will :)

(But it's awfully cute!)

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

I guess I don't "get" potfillers. Don't you still have to take the fully loaded pot back to the sink to drain the spaghetti?

The only extras we included were the full extension, soft-close drawers. Oh, and I'm upgrading to a batch disposal instead of a continuous feed.

I don't have a sprayer, soap dispenser, or air switch. In fact, I have just one hole in my sink (two if you count the drain, lol).

I've lived just fine without these things thus far and frankly don't see the need.

Gee, I sure sound a lot older than 38!

• nicole__
    16 years ago

I don't need a pot filler, the faucet pulls out,over to the cooktop and pot fillers don't have drains under them..... :0) Just a thought.

I have 3 appliance garages, built-in knife rack, built-in wine rack, heat vents in the toe kicks to keep the tile floors warm, planning desk, pull-out recycling/garbage bins,pots & pans drawers, spice rack lazy susan in corner cabinet,utensil organizers in silverware drawers,built-in cookiesheet racks,a 30" BIG sink AND yes a soap dispenser. I considered putting in a mixer pop up.....I want it ALL and use it ALL and LOVE it all! The granite counter tops are not needed....but I do LOVE them!!! I would advise "get it ALL", it gets outdated pretty fast wtih fancier new stuff! :0)

Here is a link that might be useful: My 4 year old kitchen, this is old technolody.

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

I love my soap dispenser. I don't have the Never MT yet but since you just lift the soap pump out of the hole to fill it, it's not been a problem for me.

I also love my pull out trash and recycling, my soft close, full extension drawers, my pull out trays, my appliance garage, and my Mockett pop up outlet in my island. Yes, I could have done without them and HAD done without them before my kitchen remodel, but they do make life easier (and just a little more fun).

I don't get the pot filler either. Because, like someone else pointed out above, you still have to carry the pot to the sink to drain it! And I wouldn't want to end up with a leaky faucet some day in that spot. I would have loved a prep sink in my island but DH didn't want the extra cost and bother of running the plumbing there. Maybe some day!

Good luck with your remodel!

• coolbeansw
    16 years ago

I skipped the three things you mentioned and don't feel at all deprived. The little things that make life easier in my kitchen concern organization. The lower cabs are all drawers -- great for seeing everything and reaching just what you need. Every drawer has a theme -- e.g., one drawer for mixing bowls, mixers, measuring cups; another for salad spinner, salad bowls and tongs, and cutting boards. The cooktop has drawers of pots and pans directly underneath it and is flanked by a spice drawer on one side and a cooking utensils drawer on the other. Dishes, glasses, and eating utensils can be moved from the dishwasher to their storage destinations without me taking a single step. The garlic press lives with the garlic; the nonscratch spatula with the nonstick skillet; the pot lids are on their pots; the alumninum foil is in the drawer beneath the wall oven with the baking sheets; the coffee cups are directly above the coffeemaker, etc. Starting from scratch made me re-think where to put everything, and I appreciate the benefits every single day.

• toddimt
    16 years ago

igloochic

Post your toe kick drawers as well please :). I have seen these in a mag years ago and I have always said I want them for the extra space when I do my kitchen. Like to see how various people did theirs.

• tamjo44
    16 years ago

We said no to prep sink, warming drawer, soft close and pot filler. However, we do have a soap dispenser, pull down faucet, full extension drawers, and instant hot, And we are enjoying them. We also did mostly lower drawers, a super-susan in a dead corner, tray dividers above the oven, spice racks in drawer next to cooktop, and a double pull out for trash and recycling. Add those to our wonderful new appliances and granite counters, and we couldn't be happier with the way our kitchen looks or functions.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

How could I have forgotten about full extension drawers? We have soft-close which are fine, but not a deal-breaker, but I will NEVER get any kind of drawer that is not full-extension again! NEVER! I find I'm yanking on my old bathroom vanity drawers to get them to open all the way- one of these days I'm going to pull them past the stop and on to my toes!

It's funny how quickly the new stuff becomes the new norm, as I'd forgotten about the gooseneck faucet and the pulldown sprayer- they are great for big pots and dusting/cleaning off my plants- I have two greenhouse windows (which are also a treat)and between those and the sprayer, my orchids are thriving and in continuous bloom (They may pay for themselves by my not having to keep buying new orchids! :>)

• stahlee
    16 years ago

We are just updating appliances in the kitchen and I did a little remodel. We've replaced the cooktop and hood, waiting for the dishwasher to show up.

One luxury I did put in was a pot filler. My wife asked why we would need it, but now she wouldn't live without it. It is a great addition. I could see why people wouldn't "get" it, and I probably wouldn't have either if I didn't see the usefulness in a friend's kitchen.

I would love a prep sink, but that may happen when we get the new countertops later this year. We always complain about bumping into each other while cooking.

The toe kick step stool would be a welcome addition, and I believe I'm going to make one. My wife and I are 5'6" with ten foot ceilings. The cabinets are tall.

I would also love the central vac toe kick, I think that would be one of the best additions. Another I plan to add down the road. Especially for pet hair. We do use Roombas and a Scooba, but something quick and easy like this would be fantastic.

Our soap dispenser is a PITA so we don't use it much. We'll have to replace it here, but I loved it while it worked.

I just purchased a pre-rinse faucet. The type you find in a restaurant kitchen. I'm actually very excited to install that, it will look pretty cool.

• eastsider
    16 years ago

I asked about toe kick drawers, and both the builder and cabinet maker were skeptical. They seemed to think that the toekicks were necessary to account for floors that aren't completely flat--to keep the cabinets looking sharp. So, we had large, full extension drawers placed beneath the eating area for items that would otherwise be kept in said toekick drawers. Haven't moved in yet, but am really happy so far! Love the toekick heaters, and am so excited for the vac pan! Also love our custom hood and sink--with utensil and towel bars to match our range. We also have a blind corner caddy that allows great usage of space without having to use another lazy susan. Best of luck with your project--you'll have tons of decisions to make, and many on the fly. And don't stew too much over decisions--you'll make yourself (and quite possibly your SO) crazy. If possible, try to enjoy the process and always remember your old kitchen and how much better your new one will look!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

todd I'd love to post pics, but the cabinets (my second set with toe kick drawers...the first company sent terrible cabinets) are still on their way to us and I'm not even able to post the picture of the sample I took because I'm in the hospital with DS and unable to see or post pictures (some silly hospital block). I'll be home in about two weeks and then will be happy to share pics :o) You'll probably get tired of the pics I want to post LOL since I've been deprived for a couple of months.

I don't know how well the search feature is working today, but if you do a search on toe kick drawers you'll probably find a couple I wrote begging for help, and lots of pictures of the help I received. I really did pop toe kicks into the design everywhere they could go...down to a 9 inch cabinet width :) That one will probably hold crayon's and chalk (I am doing a hidden chalk board on one end of the island) but it will still be used :)

• oruboris
    16 years ago

No pot filler for me, either: I don't like the look, am unconvinced on the practicality, and the lack of drain scares me.

No toe kick drawers, either: I have plenty of storage without, and will do my yoga in the exercise area, rather than bending double to get into the floor level drawers.

I put in a soap dispenser in my last redo, and it's never used: its a west wall, and the summer sun through the window hardens off the soap in the nozzle. Instead, I'm going to dedicate a drawer right by the sink for soap [hand, dish and dishwasher] so it can be reached without bending over, and when you are standing in front of the sink. Not as handy as a dispenser, but better than under the sink as I have them now.

But a big yes on the prep sink: it will allow for completly separate prep/cooking and cleaning areas.

The element of the room I expect will make the biggest difference to quality of life is the mail sorting zone that *should* keep the incoming paper junk from taking over the whole house.

• arleneb
    16 years ago

I'm in the odd position of having built in 2001-02 and am now moving so we're building again. The things I love in this kitchen and will repeat have mostly been named, but I'll add my votes: Full extension drawers, dust pan on central vac (will NEVER be without that!!), mostly pot-and-pan drawers in lower cabinets -- very few doors. Love not having to sit on the floor and rummage through cabinets. Love my soap dispensers but hate filling them . . . wasn't about to install Never MTs for the buyers of this house but will have them in the new one. Will have a pull-down faucet rather than a pull-out one in the new one.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned . . . I hated the corner susan in the cabinet line I chose, so I bought a corner sink or cooktop unit -- basically just a frame with a door -- and had a Rev-a-shelf metal susan installed. My installer hated me but it's fabulous, and I'd much rather stand at the angled counter there than a right-angle corner. I actually have two of those corners and put a rev-a-shelf 3-bin recycle unit in the other one. Can't do that in the new kitchen and will miss it.

I've picked up so many great ideas here! Keep them coming!

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

My insta-hot is my #1 favorite, always ready for hot tea, instant coffee, or making jello.

I like having the pull out trash but the dog isn't to happy about that, also full extension deep drawers for pots/pans.

• divamum
    16 years ago

YES YES YES they really do make life easier!

In no particular order:

- soap dispenser. Simple, cheap (Lowes finest for $20) and makes such an absurd difference for such a small thing.

- the 9" base pullout I put in next to the stove. We keep all the "annoying to find" things there that always seemed to be out on the counter - soy sauce, vegetable oil, stock cubes, frequently-used herbs, vinegars, seasoning packets etc etc. Even my DH is managing to put stuff AWAY because of it, and in our small space it really helps to organise as well as holds a lot. Got it on eBay for $130 including shipping and it was money very well spent.

- supersusan corner cabinet. When I was initially shopping for new cabinets I thought these were "quite nice" but didn't consider it "compulsory". I'm very lucky that my 2ndhand cabinets came with one, because now I've used it I can't ever imagine having a corner cabinet without one ever again. It has swallowed all our pots and pans and almost all of our small appliances, all of them within easy reach. LOVE it.

- under-counter water filter. I had NO idea the improvement in taste (or jug, or on-faucet filter) would be so significant. I don't have to buy bottled water any more. Just a basic model from HD, and $70 very well spent.

For the record, I DON'T like soft-close drawers. I've tried them in many displays and don't care for the "touch" required to close them. Our cabinets don't have them, so I'm not sorry that particular extra wasn't included.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

I have only used my Tapmaster one night but already I am in love with it!! So glad I spent the money. It was a little exra splurge we hadn't planned on until I started reading all the posts on the KF!!

• skypathway
    16 years ago

This is a great site because all these TKO posters discuss and investigate all kinds of things for the kitchen. But you have to step back and really think about how you will use your kitchen, how you cook, who else uses the kitchen etc. I know that several of the items most people consider "musts" are things I decided not to add because in the past I just never used or enjoyed them. See if you can test them out at the store or do dry runs in your kitchen.

Pot filler - don't need, my sink is near the stove and my tap pulls out to fill pots close enough to the stove. I was also afraid of leaks.

Prep sink - I think many of them are too small to be very effective. OTOH I added a second large sink which is extremely functional and out of the blue last night DH was saying how happy he was that we added it - don't know where that came from because that sink has sat there for 11 years. What makes it better is I can leave a large pan to soak and when multiple people are cooking in the kitchen, this sink is used. I use it when working with potted plants, cleaning paint brushes etc. because it is so handy. This sink is used daily and almost as much as the main sink.

Soap dispenser - I love the frosted glass bottle I have with my formica counters; I will add soap dispenser when we get granite counters because it's relatively cheap to add and if I don't use it I can just ignore it. If I decided to add it later, it would be extremely expensive I assume.

Corner lazy susan - hate them, I always find things fall off them or rattle around as you pull them open. I have a fairly large opening into my corner unit and I use large plastic containers with lid to store things under there. For example I can pull out my baking container with everything I need quickly. I also store large appliances and have these section thingies from Ikea that allows me to store my chopping boards and baking pans. Without the lazy susan I can store significantly more in that space. OTOH I know people love them so look at them carefully and think about what you will store there and if they will cause problems.

Cabinet to store garbage can - a must in my house. Keeps the pets away and looks so neat. Years ago I had one when they first came out and everyone found it funny that they couldn't guess where my garbage was.

Full extend drawers - don't bother with drawers/shelves unless you get full extend, it's such a useful function to see everything and access everything.

Instahot - I had one about 25 years ago and never used it. I don't make jello or single cups of tea or instant coffee.

Appliance garage - have one in my current kitchen because design wise it looked better, but frankly I often find them useless and annoying. We store things like lightbulbs in ours.

Storage for cookbooks is important for me, mine are behind glass doors which I find makes them look neater.

The little sink drawer - found them useless, too small to put things in and I want scrubbies and stuff to air dry, not sit in a dark enclosed space and, well you know, grow things.

Sky

• cate1337
    16 years ago

So all you soap dispenser people: Do you just keep dish soap in there, or hand soap? What do you do with your lotion, if you keep that in the kitchen, too?

• zoenipp
    16 years ago

After being in our home a year (and having "busted" the kitchen budget), I'd have to say the extras that were truly worth the extra expense included:

Double farm sink
    Prep sink with disposal (truly convenient in a large kitchen with range across kitchen island from main sink but probably not needed in smaller kitchen)
    Airswitches for disposals
    Corner lazy susan (bottom)
    Second oven
    High-powered open gas burners (love the Wolf range top)
    Mixer/processor lift

Those that are nice but expendable IMHO:

Blumotion drawers
    Polished nickel faucet finish (vs. chrome)
    36" range (huge ovens take forever to preheat and I've never used 6 burners at once, even for Easter, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc. so maybe I should have done a 30" range?)
    Advantium (nice but regular MW would suffice)
    Built-in fridge (again, nice but not life-changing)
    Vac-pan (love it but wouldn't bust the budget for it)

I did very nice Mouser cabinets but not a lot of add-on's like spice drawer, toekick drawers, pull-out trays, etc., and I don't miss them. Spend the money on drawers vs. doors. Also, nice mid-range appliances (esp. ovens, DW's, micros, fridges) will give you performance very close to that of the really high-end brands except for cooktops/rangetops, again IMHO.

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

love my instahot (ds loves soup in his lunch for school - I can heat up the thermos while I am reheating the soup so easily, and the kids are in heaven with daily hot chocolate in the morning) and the full extension drawers. I also am finding the drawers (vs rollout trays) great, and I am not even all the way in the kitchen yet.

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

I use my soap dispenser for hand soap, since I only use my sink for large p&p's. I would like another for hand lotion thought! But right now my fave hand lotion bottle actually matches my kitchen LOL.

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

I keep dish soap in mine and use it as hand soap when needed. I hand wash all my knives, pots and pans and cookie sheets. I keep a small tube of Eucerin (awesome on really dry hands!) in the tip out tray in front of my sink. A lot of people don't like using dish soap as hand soap but I've never had a problem and if you take a look at a bottle of Palmolive, at least the one I have, it says "antibacterial hand soap" right on it. If I feel the need to wash with regular hand soap, the powder room is right next to the kitchen.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

If I had to pick one, single thing to upgrade if necessary it would be drawers with full extension glides -- but they are standard on many cabinet lines now.

Soap dispenser -- absolutely, but with a NeverMT. We put in one at each sink with a warehouse size bottle of soap and have yet to change the soap 13 months later. We use a soap we can use for dishes and hands. I have lotion on the counter and need to get a prettier bottle for it.

Pot filler -- could live without it, but it does make life easier, especially with pasta and canning.

Prep sink -- it was absolutely essential in my layout. Used many times every day.

Didn't get the tapmaster, appliance garages, lazy suzans (I don't have any corner cabinets). Did get a warming drawer and am still adjusting to having it. I didn't realize my micro has a stay warm feature or I might have done without the warming drawer. We did use both at Christmas and Thanksgiving though.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I also didn't do spice pullouts. Instead, I used a single drawer and have nearly everything in one place. The only additional expense was about 50 cents a jar to put my spices in new matching jars.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• fishpants
    16 years ago

YES!!!

-Potfiller-Yeah, a luxury. But...they are made to allow more water flow so it doesn't take forever to fill that darn pot!

-Prep sink-it's on the island and adjacent to our corner range. The prep sink is on the opposite side of the main sink with dishwashers, so it really helps in doing our cooking prep work.

-Instant hot/cold water filtration faucet at prep sink. Use it everyday.

-Vac pan-have one on each side of island.

-Full extension drawers

-Garbage 'drawer'

-Avoided the annoying, pesky, pet-peeve corner cabinets by putting range in one corner, main sink in the other. Does take up more space, but we had plenty of room in our kitchen to do it.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Here is our toe-kick drawer where I keep a step-stool. Would be a perfect place for cookie sheets as well.

Jodi-

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I already posted, and after reading thru the posts, came to the conclusion those little extras are luxuries, and it all boils down to where you want to spend your money.

For me it was pulling up to my house with extra special garage doors that not everyone in the neighborhood has.

• jenellecal
    16 years ago

Sweeby - I would love ro see your utensil bin. Do you have pics?

Thanks

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Our F&P ovens have a probe setting that has made my life easier. Meats come out perfect- and I mean absolutely beautiful. No guessing- it is idiot-proof!

This idiot doesn't think she could cook meat without it!

• caligirl_cottage
    16 years ago

Instead of the supersuan concept, for blind corner cabinets, I like this system:

http://www.shelvesthatslide.com/blind_corner.htm

It rolls out and around the corner so you get TRUE full access of that space. It looks cool when it works too.

I also can't do without my instant hot and I think this time around I'll get the soap dispenser because I hate the look of the bottle on the counter and I just can't fathom doing the Martha Stewart cut crystal bottle thing!

• greenandgold
    16 years ago

divamum--can you describe your under counter water filter? Does the water come right out of the tap? Is the unit housed under the sink? Does it flow with the same capacity as your faucet otherwise? I have a filter inside my refrigerator that I use when I can, but it seems to take an eternity just to fill one drinking glass.

Thanks for your insights!

• cpanther95
    16 years ago

Think the most overpriced, overhyped accessory is the soft close drawers. We put them in our last kitchen and the coolness factor wears off quickly and your left with an "upgrade" that actually costs you in efficiency. If there wasn't additional resistance when opening, I'd get them again, but I like to be able to catch a pinky on the knob when my hands are full and flip it open - something I can't do (as easily) with the soft close.

Full extension is a must have, however.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Cpanther95,
    I'm glad you mentioned that soft close drawers have resistance when opening. That's something I did notice in other peoples kitchens, but didn't realize how it would impact my ability to quickly and easily open a drawer.
    However, I think soft close DOORS are wonderful - no more banging doors!

• mariel1951
    16 years ago

To start, let me say this: I am in the middle of a complete DIY kitchen remodel which I designed, planned and made my dream come true (yes, little ole 58 yr old woman, me!) And I couldn't have done it without this website and your blogs!! Thanks to all!

To those who wonder why use a pot filler because the pot you fill with water will have to eventually return to the sink for draining anyway, I can say this: for me who has carpel tunnel and arthritis in my hands and shoulders, just cutting one trip to the sink (my cooktop is opposite the sink several feet away), justifies the need for a pot filler. Also, I chose a single bowl 33" sink (9" deep) and this will reduce "inconveniences" at the sink when I try to fill a pot while my son (or husband) is cleaning or draining something else. I chose a deck-mount pot filler (great price on the net) which requires just an extra hole in my new granite and no drilling or worries about something being installed on the back wall. This also means simple install because all I had to do was ask my plumber to draw a copper line horizontally from my fridge to the cooktop with a shut off valve, and then use a flexible heavy duty hose from the valve to the pot filler (easy access because I just remove the drawers under my cooktop to install it). And as I am one of those people who change their flexible water lines from the washing machine and dishwasher once every 5 years, I will add this line to the list. This way, no worries about leaks!

Thank you thank you thank you to those who suggested Never-MT and Plugmold items. Wow! This is the type of convenient items I searched for on the internet all day yesterday! Love you guys!

• User
    16 years ago

when i saw this post i thought you were talking about the maid, butler and chauffeur and my answer was no, no, no

my children would have missed out on my excellant cooking, screaming at them to clean their rooms and all the other rooms in the house that they had trashed and zipping down the highway, music blasting, windows open and plastered to their seats; that wouldn't have been fair for them IMHO

then again on the other hand it would have made life easier, i think

:Not sure about pot fillers since my new kitchen didn't get one, soap dispenser was in my old kitchen and rarely used and now have the prep sink but have yet to really use it(but i will)

just had to post that first part since it just popped into my head

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz