Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

Does lighting hardware have to match cabinet hardware?

rebeccamomof123
11 years ago

This has been an inspiration picture for me as I plan my own remodel. I love the black lights with black stools - but plan on doing polished chrome bin pulls for my cabinet hardware. It looks great mixing colors in this picture but in "real life" kitchens, is that a no-no?

Traditional Kitchen design by Philadelphia General Contractor Pinemar, Inc

I liked these a lot too:
http://www.wayfair.com/Justice-Design-Group-Wire-Glass-1-Light-Mini-Pendant-WGL-8815-10-JDG7078.html

Comments (5)

• localeater
    11 years ago

In the inspiration picture, the black has several reference points; the stools, the lanterns, the window treatment, even the grates of the cooktop and the pot placed on the cooktop are black notes, because the black is referenced so frequently it is not a mistake. It is clearly a design decision and feels cohesive. Also, if you look at the other pictures of this house on Houzz, you will see that black lighting fixtures recur throughout the home, adding to the aesthetic cohesion.
    So in the picture's "real life home" it works. You need to think about if it works and/or how you can make it work in your home.

• artemis78
    11 years ago

Ours are mixed--black fixtures, polished nickel cabinet pulls, polished chrome for the faucet and stove, and a combo of oil-rubbed bronze and unlacquered brass door and window hardware (those predated the kitchen remodel, and some are original to our old house). It all works. We do have black in other places, though (tile liner, accents on appliances, etc.) so maybe that helps. The one I was worried about was the ORB, which I planned to replace, but honestly once it was all put together, that doesn't bother us at all either so we decided it wasn't worth the cost.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay - My kitchen will have black grates on the range top, black stools like the ones in the picture and probably a few more subtle pops of black like the wall mounted TV across from the penninsula. The kitchen will open to our family room (the doorway where I'm taking the picture from the is coming down - so it will be wide open off kitchen) where my dining table will be moved to. In that room, I will also need to to replace the overhead fixture - do I match it to the kitchen or treat it as a seperate room?? And what is ORB? I learn something new here everyday;)

Like you , artemis 78, I'm trying not to "bleed" this remodel through to all the other rooms in the house but I also don't want it to look choppy from one room to the next.

Decision overload!

• artemis78
    11 years ago

Sorry, ORB = oil-rubbed bronze! :) Our backdoor hardware is oil-rubbed bronze, which I hated at the start of our remodel, but which actually looks more at home now that it's done--it plays off of the black fixtures, I think. (We also replaced the door with a stained rather than painted door, which helped a lot too--so rather than "random finishes," we have the nickel on the cabinets, the ORB on the stained door, the brass on the painted doors/windows, and the black on the lights and accents (stove grates are black here too). Plus I totally forgot about the stainless hood, so yeah, we are not sticklers for matching finishes! (We do also have an older house, though, which I think gives us a little more freedom for finishes to vary than a newer house where everything was matchy-matchy to start with--even our windows and doors with original hardware vary in that some of the hardware and hinges have been painted over and are now "white" and some of the hardware is still brass.)

Our kitchen is not open to any room except our breakfast nook, so we did match the fixture finishes there. But I don't think we needed to do that, necessarily. I would wait on your dining room fixture till the kitchen is done and see how you feel about matching versus not at that point.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Artemis78 that's a good point you make about the age of the house. Our home is nearly 60 years old and we live in a New England suberb about 15 miles North on Boston. So, I think we have a bit more leeway to not be so matchy-matchy and the house gains charachter that way too. Like you, we've replaced all our windows, painted all our trim white, replaced all our hardware...it never ends. Now with the new kitchen I really don't want to have to do it all over again. I really like your suggestion to hold off and wait until the kitchen is complete to decide about the over-the-table (OTT?) lighting.

Thanks for your help! If you have any pics you have to share - I'd love to see them!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!